Sixmilers IG account

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Jorba has funds set aside for signage. Not sure if it is grant money. Maybe @KenS will point us to the right contact. Might want to take the opportunity to plug jorba. And maybe team Mtbnj.com might kick in if they get a corner to advertise. ?? That helps with the education aspect - maybe a qr code.

Thanks for the huge personal initiative

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Personally, I would like to see more education than signs. I have no idea if shops explain trail conditions and when not to ride to peeps picking up bikes. Surf shops explain it if you are buying your first board, at least when I got my first board that's what happened with me.

Would be nice to get shops on board with even something as simple as dropping a leaflet in the mix of papers you get when you get a new ride or work done. But... Would have to hit all shops - Dicks and Walmart to the local spots. That's a lot of ground to cover and a lot of buy-in from A LOT of people.

I think a sign is easy to lose, and easy to ignore. I think the biggest issue is people drive to the trailhead and ride because they are there, no matter what. Signage is good, education is betterer.

GHM73

Good thoughts Dave, what about a large poster type sign that can get hung up in shops? Could be a good conversation starter for all of what you just said.

GHM73

Jorba has funds set aside for signage. Not sure if it is grant money. Maybe @KenS will point us to the right contact. Might want to take the opportunity to plug jorba. And maybe team Mtbnj.com might kick in if they get a corner to advertise. ?? That helps with the education aspect - maybe a qr code.

Happy to put on any logos/links/QR, etc.

ktmrider

Just dropped off a bunch of stickers at Halter's, btw. They're in the sticker box by the register.

I'll gladly send anyone the art for these signs. The pricing I got was from buildasign.com, a Texas-based company that does some good stuff for American troops. However many local print shops can make these if we want to patronize a local place.

I sent the picture to a buddy that owns a print shop and he will make a few for me , thx for posting this up

Blair

Buy some gravel and fill in the mud, need a solution that doesn't involve changing people's bad habits.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
On saturday, someone from Burlington area did a ride at Baldpate (which I rode on Friday morning, when it was partially frozen and a few miles of the trails would be horrible when thawed) and the person named the ride something like Mud Bog at Baldpate along with a comment saying not so good out there and I commented "thanks for the ruts" and the person deleted the comment and changed the ride title to Fun Solo at Baldpate.

Everyone misjudges conditions at somepoint but you need to know when to call it a day if conditions are crap

rustynuts

Just in the last 24 hours seeing mountain bikers who are not naive to how the trails work with weather posting pictures (instagram) of their ride and how their full of mud, but it was "fun." They even miss the mark of comments made on why ride 6 mile now.

GHM73

I see it all the time @rustynuts. I've started to comment on some of these posts in the nicest way I can muster, to try and direct them and educate them. Some people will respond well, some will just get mad and insist they can ride whenever they want (these people are what's know as "a**holes").

Reactions: rlb

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
@GHM73

I sent you a PM about a different subject, but didn't know if you had seen it.

If you chose not to respond, that's fine too. :D

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

The days of hating Baldpate and Mercer are over. Making Baldpate Great! NICA is making Mercer great.

Never hate for Mercer. I don't know the process or relationship with the park so what I say is only idea based on what I see and have seen.

There are plenty of opportunity to create flow sections based on the terrain I've seen. It is the one gripe most have with the park- almost always have to be on the pedal. Creating these little nuggets would be similar to setting little targets throughout the park. The monkey voice would start saying "ok now heading to that other flowy section".

Ok Done rambling.

Rock on 6 Milers.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Never hate for Mercer. I don't know the process or relationship with the park so what I say is only idea based on what I see and have seen.

There are plenty of opportunity to create flow sections based on the terrain I've seen. It is the one gripe most have with the park- almost always have to be on the pedal. Creating these little nuggets would be similar to setting little targets throughout the park. The monkey voice would start saying "ok now heading to that other flaky section".

Ok Done rambling.

Rock on 6 Milers.
Remember the twisty stuff there is what @jdog did before he moved his skills to 6 mile.

The Kalmyk

Remember the twisty stuff there is what @jdog did before he moved his skills to 6 mile.

Kev, I would utilze the hell out of the chute between the power lines and the jump (not really jumpy) area. Start top and go down. Could be flowy asf. Think a down scaled version of the Whiteclay feature. I rode Mercer maybe a handful of times my senior year of high school. I think there was a trail there at some point, could be wrong.

That is just an example of something small that would give it a little flow section to look forward to riding.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Kev, I would utilze the hell out of the chute between the power lines and the jump (not really jumpy) area. Start top and go down. Could be flowy asf. Think a down scaled version of the Whiteclay feature. I rode Mercer maybe a handful of times my senior year of high school. I think there was a trail there at some point, could be wrong.

That is just an example of something small that would give it a little flow section to look forward to riding.
That area get very sandy in the summer and all blown out in the middle, could be a sustainability issue.

GHM73

OK so I wasn't going to do this. I try to be nice. Try to take the high road. But this ticked me off. Here is the story.

As we know, we see people posting pics on the SocMeds that they "rode SixMile in the mud and had so much fun." So I see one of these posts recently (within the past couple of weeks), and I commented in the NICEST way humanly possible. Seriously. I was like "Hey we love that you love Sixmile, but please note for future reference that riding in the mud actually causes damage, etc., blah, blah nice words, please and thank you, more nice words, etc." I was OVERLY nice. Well she DELETED my comment and flagged it as "abuse!"

So here it is. Her awesome post in all its glory. SHAME. ON. YOU. RACHEL. Since you're #suchaham, I'm sure you'll appreciate the humor.

ignorant_trail_abuser.jpg

Top Bottom