Can the Stache do 95% of what the Farley can do (around CNJ)?

Can the Stache do 95% of what the Farley can do (around CNJ)?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Keep those old FSR 26ers running forever

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

w_b

I read a lot of discussion here and elsewhere on wheel sizes and capabilities. History: I've been mostly trailriding, on 26"er Horst link FS's, almost exclusively since about '97. Hardtails before that. Not really an early-adopter or a "bike-hopper." 14 yrs since I bought a new bike for myself (and it was my DH bike.) SO, I'm due and thinking maybe mix it up, try to keep the fun factor high or higher: Enter N+1.

I took my buddy's Stache9 up a small piece of singletrack the other day and liked it. Assuming I could prolly roll the Stache almost as well as the Farley HT/Fatboy on whatever small amount of snow riding I would normally do, and likely better for most/all of the riding I normally do, why would I want the Fatbike over the Stache? I'm not convinced I need to roll bigger than 29 x 3. I'm looking for a do-it-all fun HT trailbike without breaking the bank. Discuss, and thanks.

Frank

Sasquatch
Living close to the shore I like the ability to run a 5" tire and hit the beach when the trails are too wet. The Farley is a very versatile bike and I ride it 95% of the time, don't know if I would feel the same about the Stache, but I'm not going to buy one to find out. I suppose I could get another wheel set and run a 29x3 tire..........please don't get me thinking about that.

Reactions: w_b

w_b

Thanks All,
Prolly can't go wrong either way. Nice problem to have.

Maybe a Trek Demo day; ride 'em back-to-back-to-back, see what sticks out?
I know HB is due @ Harts this weekend(?) does the Big S even make a 29+?

Now to get rid of: (all 26er)
DB Sorrento steel is real HT from the late80s w/Biopace is the place (!!!) Holey carrrap why am I holding onto this???? Bought new back in 198X
Mongoose Rockadile alum HT mid 90s boneshaker frame
Barracuda A2R steel HT frame
maybe a trip to 2nd LB is in order....

Prolly keep for no good reasons:
98 FSR china frame- my first FS
97 FSR Max backbone- Current whip due to 04 Enduro woes
03 IH SGS DH- OMG is this thing heavy; 165mm wide rear, 175/200mm travel
04 FSR Enduro- currently in my repair shop

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have the Farley 9.9
I also have two wheel sets
1 is 90mm carbon wheel set
2 is scrapper 29+ wheelset.

It takes less then 1:30 to swap out wheels.

Having the strangle hold drop outs gives the ability to run SS.

Now that I have the 4.8 jumbo jims my Fat set of wheels is lighter then 29+ by 20g

sjeronis

I have a Stache 5 and a 907 Fatbike. The Stache is ok with few inches of snow but my first choice for snow is the fatbike. Stache is great for everything else. Sometime I wish a had a suspension fork on the stache until I saw the price.

Supermoto

I would go with which Q factor you prefer, if the wide Q of the fat bike doesn't bother you, then go with that, it has the most options. If you like a narrow Q get the stache

Reactions: w_b

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
if you want fun and playful, Stache has the Farley beat. With that being said, Farley is a lot of fun as well, but in a different way. I have had 3 Farleys and 2 Staches with every wheel size possibility. Farley is a very adaptable bike, different wheel size options. It's the best option with snow in mind. If the occasional snow is all your really thinking about, that's where the Stache comes into play. The Stache is more at home on the trails and is an extremely capable trail bike. I even take mine downhilling at Mountain Creek and tackle the technical trails as well as the jump lines. I'm currently riding a Stache with 27.5 plus wheels and a 140 mm fork. Lots of fun. I don't think you can really go wrong, just base your decision on what the majority of your riding is going to be. There will be a slight compromise either way. If you're in Northen New Jersey, feel free to check mine out and take it for a spin.

ReverendNewman

Thanks All,
Prolly can't go wrong either way. Nice problem to have.

Maybe a Trek Demo day; ride 'em back-to-back-to-back, see what sticks out?
I know HB is due @ Harts this weekend(?) does the Big S even make a 29+?

Now to get rid of: (all 26er)
DB Sorrento steel is real HT from the late80s w/Biopace is the place (!!!) Holey carrrap why am I holding onto this???? Bought new back in 198X
Mongoose Rockadile alum HT mid 90s boneshaker frame
Barracuda A2R steel HT frame
maybe a trip to 2nd LB is in order....

Prolly keep for no good reasons:
98 FSR china frame- my first FS
97 FSR Max backbone- Current whip due to 04 Enduro woes
03 IH SGS DH- OMG is this thing heavy; 165mm wide rear, 175/200mm travel
04 FSR Enduro- currently in my repair shop
I demoed the Farley EX 8 FS this past weekend. Hated it. Way too heavy, way to slow. I then rode the Farley EX7 and loved it. But I didn't like the 26 inch wheels. So a did a major upgrade and bought the Farley 9.8 27.5 wheels. Should have it Friday night.

ReverendNewman

FYI, Brielle Cyclery has a Farley Demo fleet. Can't hurt to inquire and rent one to take to Allaire for a spin!
I was hooked on the Farley EX 8 FS. Was gonna drop the scratch without even riding it. I hated that California Blue. Went to Brielle and rented one for the day. I hated it! Felt way too heavy for me. IMHO. I felt like I had to push that thing down hill.
Then my GF bought me the EX 7. Loved that, but wanted to upgrade. So I settled for the Farley 9.8. Someone up here once posted FS Fat Bikes are overkill. I'm sure it depends on what u r riding.

Top Bottom