Round Valley Conditions

qclabrat

Walked Cush yesterday. There is no standing water on the trails, and no mud.
Lots of leaves will make traction on the climbs a challenge. Couple of trees down, I'll try to get to that today.
I expect the other side of the saddle to be the same.

#RideRV
are you entering the park from Picknell or the RxR lot?

adogg

Little bit of snow in some areas but easily rideable. Already 50 degrees. Go out and enjoy.
1487429586644-1532019166.jpg

adogg

It started to be wet on the way out around 11am. Be careful out there, threat lightly. Better yet, avoid the mud and do a loop around Round Valley on the low traffic roads.

qclabrat

It started to be wet on the way out around 11am. Be careful out there, threat lightly. Better yet, avoid the mud and do a loop around Round Valley on the low traffic roads.
where's the mud? I thought RV was invincible?
was planning on going this weekend

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@qclabrat - park in pickell or cush lot - climb cush, drop into rv, and pick up red.
pedal until close to throwing up. turn around. throw up coming back over the saddle.

there are a couple entry points to the cush side from the powerlines/gas line. see map - i hit 3.

cush blue from the saddle is not recommended at this time.
RV White is not ready yet (yet)

https://www.strava.com/activities/623979486

and exiting at the back gate - for something different.

https://www.strava.com/activities/809687240

Last edited:

AL.

Does more trail maintenance than you, without a he
Can confirm that it was a bit muddy yesterday.Also snow drifts 10 inches deep on the back sections at spots.

pygmypony

rode RV today from the boat launch...some standing water in some of the low spots but anything with a little bit of pitch to it was really rideable...i give it a 2.75/4...a couple of the standing water puddles were pretty large. should be even better tomorrow though i'm not sure i have another day of punishment in me...

solorider

Small tree down about waist high, on lower red I think. Near the railroad / back parking lot. Folding saw will clean it up. Otherwise smooth sailing.

Never realized you can loop the park by riding over a dam into the boat launch. Gates were open.

Patrick

Staff member
Small tree down about waist high, on lower red I think. Near the railroad / back parking lot. Folding saw will clean it up. Otherwise smooth sailing.

Never realized you can loop the park by riding over a dam into the boat launch. Gates were open.

they close the gates after memorial day - some of the trails between the scuba lot and the dam are marked hiker-only, usual rules apply.

thanks for the update - i'll try to get by there sometime today.

goodvibe

Ge

Get it while you can. Those are closed from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Then, you have admission from the Cushetunk Climb.

Rode there yesterday. There were 2 wet spots. The rest of the park was perfect!

Patrick

Staff member
Ge

Get it while you can. Those are closed from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Then, you have admission from the Cushetunk Climb.

Rode there yesterday. There were 2 wet spots. The rest of the park was perfect!

i'll remind everyone they look the other way for mtb coming in through cush. Unwritten rule, could change, tread lightly type of thing.
One can bike in through RV main gate without paying, so it isn't a money thing.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'll remind everyone they look the other way for mtb coming in through cush. Unwritten rule, could change, tread lightly type of thing.
One can bike in through RV main gate without paying, so it isn't a money thing.

Is it that they look the other way, or that they really can't do much about it? Are they going to patrol back there?

Patrick

Staff member
Is it that they look the other way, or that they really can't do much about it? Are they going to patrol back there?

they patrol the camp grounds. gotta catch the peeps drinking bad beer.

mrod_nj

From what I've read on the site it seems that out of all the locations in CJ this place drains the best, but we did get hammered with some serious thunderstorms last night. Will this place be good to go today or should I wait it out until later on in the week?

Patrick

Staff member
Looking to ride this place for the first time... Any suggestions on where to park? Thanks

scuba lot - off to the right going in the main gate - called the south lot also.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/round valley area map.pdf

head south on red blazed trails.

or
Park in the cushetunk mt preserve - lot on railroad ave.
http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/depts/parks/ParkAreas/Cushetunk/brochure.pdf
https://www.strava.com/activities/814220259

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions