2016 Hell of Hunterdon

LGMan

I already have WTB Exposure 34C. Is this overkill and disadvantage to slo00w me down b/c there are more paved sections and longer distance?

I noticed people are passing me on 9W like I'm standing still. Not sure if its my fitness or I'm dragging a boat anchor. Have not ridden road for a long time (mostly mtb nowadays). I used to pass most with my previous road bike. Thinking of switching to 25 or 28.

DSC_0326_result.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I already have WTB Exposure 34C (700x34 smooth center with side knobs). Is this overkill and disadvantage to slo00w me down b/c there are more paved sections and longer distance? I noticed people are passing me on 9W like I'm standing still. Not sure if its my fitness or I'm dragging a boat anchor. Have not ridden road for a long time (mostly mtb nowadays). I used to pass most with my previous road bike. Thinking of switching to 25 or 28.

View attachment 47360
I can't speak of those tires specifically, but there is no need for a 34 tire on these roads. Of the 80 miles, less than 15? are on dirt and with all but a few of the road sections, they are used by cars on a daily basis. The bottom of Hunter Road is an old farm road and resembles more of an unused fire road and one or two other sections always seem to be bad. I will either run 25 or 27 Vittoria Pave's

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you folks run 25s on roads as well? or is everyone bulking up for gravel roads at HOH. I run 23s but don't want to get 25s just for hoh.

hotsauce

i regularly run 28s, so i won't be swapping tires for the ride.
+2

There's absolutely no reason to run 23's or 25's unless its all your frame can take. This CyclingTips podcast episode sheds some good light on tire size and rolling resistance. TL,DL: wider is better.

Also talking about tire size is like polling a group of one armed men about the size of the fish they caught. Tire size written on the casing varies wildly between models and manufacturers. Also rim width plays a HUGE factor (a wide rim makes the tire wider). The only way to really compare is measuring with a caliper gauge at a specified PSI.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Do you folks run 25s on roads as well? or is everyone bulking up for gravel roads at HOH. I run 23s but don't want to get 25s just for hoh.
I run 25's all arounds now. Conti's 23's used to measure between 24-25 and they fixed the sizing in more recent models and once they did, went to 25's.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I already have WTB Exposure 34C. Is this overkill and disadvantage to slo00w me down b/c there are more paved sections and longer distance?

I noticed people are passing me on 9W like I'm standing still. Not sure if its my fitness or I'm dragging a boat anchor. Have not ridden road for a long time (mostly mtb nowadays). I used to pass most with my previous road bike. Thinking of switching to 25 or 28.

View attachment 47360
I run 4" ground controls for hoh

LGMan

Thanks all. Read the HOH FAQ too. I'm going to switch to my old 28 road tubeless. Giving it a test next week then Sourland Classics

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Naw, I felt bad about ditching my buddy @stb222... When I told him I wasn't doing HOH, I think he curled up in the fetal position and sucked his thumb. I did the honorable friend thing and chose to ride with him over cock fighting in the sandy flats of south jersey.

I'll get you 5 hours of TM to make up for the race. !!!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I noticed people are passing me on 9W like I'm standing still. Not sure if its my fitness or I'm dragging a boat anchor.

Its a hard question to answer. 9W has some of the fastest people from Nyc, Bergen County area out there.

I've had guys pass me on knobby CX tires and I'm on 23c. Once a guy on on mtb passed me although I was out of gas at the time.

Top Bottom