The View From The Drey

qclabrat

Gordon was our resident audio/recording engineer, but he has relocated to the south.

There is so much talent on this message board...I feel like if we pooled it all together we could do something amazing..like make a tire sealant that is also an alcoholic beverage.
I can roadie, I'm legendary at my HS, I even fell in a pit of dry ice during a Billy Idol set

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Great stuff and good write ups. You sound you have a ton of stories that can make for a long standing blog, one story every work day should do it.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have never followed up with another particle test. It's a good idea, actually. I monitor the elasticity of my arteries, which has become better and better since I started.

-Particle count and size tells a lot more than the general test. Myself, I was 2.5x the high limit for LDL-P, basically off the charts. Was prescribe Statins, never took a single pill.

I went from T3 hormone being nil-I-should-be-dead to just below acceptable range and now LDL-P is just above acceptable range. There's lots of factors that affect cholesterol.

I'd say you should look at these factors, however with the doctors you're dealing with, I assume they have.

Do you supplement K2? If you have a calcium deposit issue, the K2 should help that.

The Squirrel

-Particle count and size tells a lot more than the general test. Myself, I was 2.5x the high limit for LDL-P, basically off the charts. Was prescribe Statins, never took a single pill.

I went from T3 hormone being nil-I-should-be-dead to just below acceptable range and now LDL-P is just above acceptable range. There's lots of factors that affect cholesterol.

I'd say you should look at these factors, however with the doctors you're dealing with, I assume they have.

Do you supplement K2? If you have a calcium deposit issue, the K2 should help that.

Thanks for this.

I've kept all my records since May 2013. I went over my recent Lipid panel and my LDL-P is 579 nmol/L, which is below the 700 top of the range. It seems they've been testing for it and just not mentioning it because it's acceptable.

My LDL/HDL ratio is current 1.8 and My HDL is 33% of my Cholesterol. Like with most people it's hard to move my HDL, which hovers just above acceptable.

In my situation I have to keep my LDL exceptionally low, between 50-70 mg/dL to reverse my CAD.

I am on K2, thanks.

The Squirrel

Ha yeah. We still have his old 50's drumset in the attic. Complete with the original catskins and all. And a stack of old jazz albums waist high.
I basically grew up in a musical. Not realizing how strange this was until I was older. But my childhood revolved around all my siblings acting out showtunes and musicals. I've seen my father perform at Carnegie hall a dozen times and every Christmas you can find him on the news caroling. My sister went to school to be a music teacher, though she teaches regular class now as the music teacher jobs are tricky to get. My brother runs a side business as a sound company, and his full time gig is a tour manager for a touring band.

Oh haaaay here's a weird one. My high school punk band's practice space was an old recording studio of my friend's estranged father in west orange. There was a 32? Track mixer and a huge real to real in there. But what's weirder, is if you walked out of his back yard, across a soccor field, jumped a brook and broke into the abandoned building back there it's the recording space that they used to produce the Monkey's! It's on Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange. Pleasant Valley Sunday!

That's all I got. More squirrel stories please.

That stack of old Jazz vinyl is most likely worth a good amount. Like new frame amount. Princeton Record Exchange eats that stuff up. Show tunes and musicals, not so much. And Classical...They'll just send you away. I'd bet that kit is worth something as well. I'm sure there's sentimental value there.

In the 80's there was a great studio in what I would only guess was an old machine shop. It was called Eastern Artists Recording Studios (EARS). I don't remember the address. This studio was riding high on the Mtume hit Juicy Fruit:

I would do freelance dates there. I would do the overnight after the Isley's were done. I'd always run into them. So there was a loft over the studio and they would climb the ladder up to the loft with their "ladies" for a little nightcap, so to speak.

I wonder if this was the studio?

The Squirrel

Good stuff!

I'm interested in some of the food plans - esp prep.

Are you the chef?
How do you choose a meal? plan, or or a list of (yes, maybe, never) foods?
day at a time?
Where is your goto grocery shop?

my w1f3 works at sirius xm in finance, so we are totally connected...:cool:

I do cook, but I am not the chef at home. That's mostly my wife.

I have my eat and not eat list (which is long). Think of it as vegan with additional limitations. We have a rotation of recipes that we've pooled together. Most of them come from Dr. Fuhrman's book "Eat For Health" or recipes that we nabbed off his website. We also have recipes that we've gotten from blogs. On top of that we have a bunch of interesting vegan cookbooks. For a lot of these recipes we modify them to fit my needs. My oil intake is almost nil, so when a recipe calls for sautéing with oil, my wife will water sauté.

Here's the bulk of my no-no's:

animal products
dairy
processed sugar
salt
alcohol
caffeine
fried foods
oil (I can have no more than a tablespoon a day).

I'm about 95% compliant.

The goal is to maximize nutritional intake, so I eat a lot of greens/vegetables cooked and raw, nuts/seed, whole grains (not a lot), fruit, tofu.

Here are a couple of examples:
DSC00761.JPG

Lunch was at Bareburger with the client. I had the Farmer's quinoa burger wrapped in steamed collard greens with lettuce, spinach, jalapenos and pickles. Unsweetened white tea. When I lunch on my own it's usually a salad and a vegan soup, like a lentil or carrot ginger.

When I got home my wife wasn't feeling good so we order Chinese:

DSC00764.JPG

I had steamed Tofu with Broccoli. No sauce and a mint herbal tea.

Eating out is always an issue because I have very little control over what a restaurant is prepared to make. I continually look for restaurants that can be flexible enough to meet my demands. It often takes a lot of calls and pre-planning. I miss the days of just going out. I cried when I went to the local pizzeria to tell them I wouldn't be back. It can be tough. Traveling is even tougher. For short trips I usually just pack my own food. Forget about longer trips.

I'm quite envious of so many of you and how you just go out for dinner and drinks. I live vicariously through your posts.

Alcohol really killed me. In 2007 there was a chance I was going to lose my job because it looked like the studio would close (it eventually did). I decided that maybe I should do something else with my life and started studying wine. I actually pass my Sommelier test and was certified. Wine, beer, cigars, I was ready. The studio closed, I kept my job, so I continued to pursue wine on my own. Then I got the bad news and I haven't had a drink in 3 1/2 years. I gave away about 2 cases of wine.

As far as shopping we do Whole Paycheck and a couple of local stores. We also sub on occasion at a local CSA.

Tomorrow morning, I'll do a play by play of my usual breakfast.

EDIT: cookbook title corrected

Last edited:

The Squirrel

my w1f3 works at sirius xm in finance, so we are totally connected...:cool:

Does your wife work at Columbus Circle? I know a few people there. I do a lot of work for Jazz at Lincoln Center, which uses Sirius for their recordings. I'm up there every once in a while.

The Squirrel

Oh haaaay here's a weird one. My high school punk band's practice space was an old recording studio of my friend's estranged father in west orange. There was a 32? Track mixer and a huge real to real in there. But what's weirder, is if you walked out of his back yard, across a soccor field, jumped a brook and broke into the abandoned building back there it's the recording space that they used to produce the Monkey's! It's on Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange. Pleasant Valley Sunday!

This struck me like a ton of bricks. I remember after our sessions at EARS we'd just go down the road a bit and under the Parkway (where it was elevated) was a little diner. We'd get steak and eggs for breakfast and they'd serve it in a little skillet. Maybe that'll give you an idea where this studio was.

gtluke

The Moped
This struck me like a ton of bricks. I remember after our sessions at EARS we'd just go down the road a bit and under the Parkway (where it was elevated) was a little diner. We'd get steak and eggs for breakfast and they'd serve it in a little skillet. Maybe that'll give you an idea where this studio was.

Some brainstorming and googling it looks like you were in doddtown in east orange. In a converted tiny bowling alley. My college girlfriend was from that neighborhood. It's a few blocks down from Star Tavern in West Orange, pretty famous pizza (bar pie). Her uncles had these tattoos on their hands signifying they were in the "doddtown dukes" gang. I later in life ended up working with a guy with a same tattoos. I knew what block he grew up on.
Pleasant Valley Way is on the other side of the mountain, it's actually across the street form the area of Mayapple section of South Mountain Reservation where someone is trying to murder the bikers in another thread here.
Actually now reading on wikipedia, Pleasant Valley Sunday wasn't about the studio it was recorded at, but rather they lived on that street. Actually the songwriters did. Damn, I was given wrong information about this my whole life. CHILDHOOD RUINED.

The Squirrel

Bowling alley...that makes sense. It was long and narrow. I always thought it was in West Orange, but I have to admit I don't know that area as well as I should.

Pleasant Valley Sunday...However you cut it, it's a good story.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Does your wife work at Columbus Circle? I know a few people there. I do a lot of work for Jazz at Lincoln Center, which uses Sirius for their recordings. I'm up there every once in a while.

She's at 5 Penn, Lawrenceville, and occasionally in DC.
They keep the non-talent side underground.

Good stuff!

The Squirrel

To continue my nutrition intake, here is my breakfast:

DSC00769.JPG

Oatmeal with chia and hemp seed and a hit of DHA/EPA. A green smoothie and a homemade breakfast bar made of oats, banana, blueberries, nuts, seeds, goji berries. The smoothie:
DSC00765.JPG

here are the ingredients. That's Bok Choy in the foreground and collards in the bag. I use about 2 cups of collards and a similar amount of Bok Choy. The Coconut Oil is for my wife's portion and the ginger is for mine. The Cocoa Powder is non-alkalized.
DSC00766.JPG

The Blendtec makes easy work of this. I also take a full assortment of supliments:
DSC00767.JPG

This is breakfast and dinner. What's not in the image is a mushroom concoction from my acupuncturist.

It's rare I veer from this. On occasion, I will make a vegan french toast for a family breakfast. I make the batter myself with Hemp, Flaxseed, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. I bake it instead of pan frying it.

What's in a username?

My real name is Mark. I had lurked here for a while before I signed up. I found many of the usernames so interesting. So, I thought for a while as to what mine would be. When I used to race in the mid-80's we used the term "squirrel" to point out someone to watch out for. That person would not be able to hold a straight line, seemed quick, but not so much and was horribly unpredictable. You gave them a lot of room for your own safety. Since I was new to the whole CX thing, I most likely was the squirrel, even though on the road, I am not.

I'll cover my old studio nickname another time. I have to go make breakfast.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gordon was our resident audio/recording engineer, but he has relocated to the south.

There is so much talent on this message board...I feel like if we pooled it all together we could do something amazing..like make a tire sealant that is also an alcoholic beverage.

You didn't know you could already drink Stan's Race for a buzz? Your rep has been holding out on you!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You inspired me to make a green smoothie tonight for the first time in quite a while. I used kale, apple, lemon, ginger, and some misc chopped veggies. Yum!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Do you know Big Al? Up-and-coming in Oldsmar, Florida.

IMG_5945.JPG

while being a little sarcastic, I appreciate anyone who goes for it in business, and anyone who puts it out there as an artist. Both take a huge cojones.

qclabrat

To continue my nutrition intake, here is my breakfast:

View attachment 46277
Oatmeal with chia and hemp seed and a hit of DHA/EPA. A green smoothie and a homemade breakfast bar made of oats, banana, blueberries, nuts, seeds, goji berries. The smoothie:
View attachment 46278
here are the ingredients. That's Bok Choy in the foreground and collards in the bag. I use about 2 cups of collards and a similar amount of Bok Choy. The Coconut Oil is for my wife's portion and the ginger is for mine. The Cocoa Powder is non-alkalized.
View attachment 46279
The Blendtec makes easy work of this. I also take a full assortment of supliments:
View attachment 46280
This is breakfast and dinner. What's not in the image is a mushroom concoction from my acupuncturist.

It's rare I veer from this. On occasion, I will make a vegan french toast for a family breakfast. I make the batter myself with Hemp, Flaxseed, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. I bake it instead of pan frying it.

What's in a username?

My real name is Mark. I had lurked here for a while before I signed up. I found many of the usernames so interesting. So, I thought for a while as to what mine would be. When I used to race in the mid-80's we used the term "squirrel" to point out someone to watch out for. That person would not be able to hold a straight line, seemed quick, but not so much and was horribly unpredictable. You gave them a lot of room for your own safety. Since I was new to the whole CX thing, I most likely was the squirrel, even though on the road, I am not.

I'll cover my old studio nickname another time. I have to go make breakfast.
Mark,
I've been recently reading some negative effects from goji berries and soy products. My mother's been feeding us goji for as long as I can remember. Do you see an eastern doctor?

The Squirrel

Do you know Big Al? Up-and-coming in Oldsmar, Florida.

View attachment 46313

while being a little sarcastic, I appreciate anyone who goes for it in business, and anyone who puts it out there as an artist. Both take a huge cojones.

I'd have to bet he's the only Kosher studio in the states, maybe even North America.

My profession has totally flipped in my career span. The innovation of computer recording has put the technology in musician's hands and those that are half way suave can make a have way decent (or better) recording. I've watched so many studios close and so many engineers move to new career paths. I am a dinosaur. Big props to Big Al, anyone who can generate enough work to keep a brick and mortar facility going is doing well.

Top Bottom