Mercer County Park Conditions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Full on slip and slide conditions where there is leaf cover. This change in weather is apparent as the ground is holding moisture and some puddles are sticking around in the normal spots. Tonight's and cold temps at night rain will further that.

viper8315

Trails were in decent shape today. I thought it would have been much worse. The fat bike handled the slippery conditions like a champ! I saw some fresh tire tracks so there were definitely some other people out today. This bike is so much fun!
IMG_20161218_124642439_HDR.jpg

TAS

Rode the whole park yesterday. beautiful day and excellent winter conditions with the usual soft spots. Blue north included.
Freeze thaw conditions are in effect so please ride frozen to avoid rutting.

I cleared a double tree down on Blue North near the culvert crossing - across from the housing development.
It was a poison ivy monster Aggghhhh!

Now for the disturbing bit… On blue between the double ponds and the power lines.
Somebody took the time an effort to block the existing trail in 6 places with LARGE logs.
This was intentional blocking not jumps or ride over obstacles.

I cleared them all and dragged the logs away from the trail enough that they will have to make an effort to put them back.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen again too soon.

Anyway….

HAPPY NEW Year!!!

stevie.mtb

Rode the whole park yesterday. beautiful day and excellent winter conditions with the usual soft spots. Blue north included.
Freeze thaw conditions are in effect so please ride frozen to avoid rutting.

I cleared a double tree down on Blue North near the culvert crossing - across from the housing development.
It was a poison ivy monster Aggghhhh!

Now for the disturbing bit… On blue between the double ponds and the power lines.
Somebody took the time an effort to block the existing trail in 6 places with LARGE logs.
This was intentional blocking not jumps or ride over obstacles.

I cleared them all and dragged the logs away from the trail enough that they will have to make an effort to put them back.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen again too soon.

Anyway….

HAPPY NEW Year!!!

So it looks like someone didn't like the work done by @TAS. Rode this afternoon and came across more intentional blocking on the same section of trail. There were several very large logs in the middle of the trail, along with decent sized logs scattered throughout. There was a tree over a good portion of the trail (that used to be pushed out of the way) and other twigs and branches on the trail. It took a ton of effort to move two of the large logs and I was a hurry to make it back home so wasn't able to fix anything else. I would recommend riding this area with caution because if this blocking/fixing cycle continues, who knows what the vandalizer will do next. I've heard horror stories of rope and twine on trails that take people out for good. So again, just be cautious.

Reactions: TAS

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like riding there in the winter when all the roots are covered in snow and the wetlands are frozen.

viper8315

I'll be there at some point this weekend if anyone would like to meet up for a ride. I have plans Saturday morning/lunch, but free for the rest of the weekend.

I haven't taken the blue in a while, but I'll try it and keep an eye out for any shady business. Has anyone contacted the park rangers?

Reactions: TAS

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Was there at lunch today and someone undid one of the cut thru I covered up next the west picnic twisty section, I moved a fair amount of crap I put there.

Anyways, In Van Nest, Tennis Area / Red much of the trail tread has little snow on it and yet even though the tread is solid, has a thin layer of slop / mud on top. So not trail ruining this afternoon but be prepared to be sprayed with mud. That wont be an issue with temps not above freezing for the next few days.

AND, I made first bike tracks on each of the trails I hit with zero signs of the local fat tires of @Big Al @michael.su and @TAS, what up with that!(maybe you just hit the other side?

viper8315

I'll be there tomorrow after lunch (1 ish). I'm hoping we get a good amount of snow tomorrow so I can really validate this fat bike. Either way, I'll still have fun...anybody else going to be there tomorrow?

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was there at lunch today and someone undid one of the cut thru I covered up next the west picnic twisty section, I moved a fair amount of crap I put there.

Anyways, In Van Nest, Tennis Area / Red much of the trail tread has little snow on it and yet even though the tread is solid, has a thin layer of slop / mud on top. So not trail ruining this afternoon but be prepared to be sprayed with mud. That wont be an issue with temps not above freezing for the next few days.

AND, I made first bike tracks on each of the trails I hit with zero signs of the local fat tires of @Big Al @michael.su and @TAS, what up with that!(maybe you just hit the other side?
I think Mike is on ski's someplace today.. FB told me

TAS

Was gonna ride yesterday but had to go into full crisis "IT" mode as my wife's computer decided to go berserk... didn't get it all back together until after midnight... yeah that bad...When this one expires I am going all Mac. Mike is skiing.... Think I'll wait until the weather clears and warms a bit. Was thinking about going this morning but I was toast.

TAS

I'll be there tomorrow after lunch (1 ish). I'm hoping we get a good amount of snow tomorrow so I can really validate this fat bike. Either way, I'll still have fun...anybody else going to be there tomorrow?

Bring a pump and be prepared to air down. It's trial & error to get the best compromise between crazy tire steer and flotation. You'll appreciate those wide bars and the torque they apply once you get down to 5-7 PSI on the front. Air down, gear down and go slow, it's amazing how much you just float over. But the tire steer can drive you nuts if you go any faster!

TAS

Maybe we go out and drag every log 100 yds on either side from the trail.... and leave a nice note that explaining the trail is on Mercer county PARK property. That ought'a slow e'm down. Then we will see how interested they are in blocking the trail again. I am gonna ride on Tuesday. At least that is the plan for now... I'll bring a camera and take pics if it's blocked.

Mildly Wild

Good trail conditions today. Came in thru Van Nest (good, firm) then Red (good past tennis center except last 1/4 mi before popping out to road; soft there - would avoid that last stretch), then good again after crossing bridge onto Red to Blue all the way to boat house. Very, very few soft spots. I give it a 3.0.

DirtyJerz

there right now, have ridden most all of the park. great as its frozen... may get a little sloppy when it warms. tennis courts a little dicey with shallow frozen over puddles.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions