Bikes, Bellies and Beyond

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That test sounds f'd up. Regarding the logging of the food stuffs..... you plan on using paper, spreadsheet, or an App? If the latter, try LoseIt! You can sync it with Strava, so as you enter calories in, it tracks calories out as well.
You can scan bar codes of foods or create custom recipes.

Mountain Bike Mike

based on this last installment, I realized why I'm drawn this blog... In the past 10 years, I've been involved with and somewhat peripheral to 9 pregnancies, 3 of which were mine and the other six are my sisters in law's kids. It amazes me that I am 100% versed in everything you just mentioned just based on going through it three times with Stef and hearing about it with my two sisters. That said - Stef went through something similar with the glucose test and failed it on the first try which sent her in to an emotional roller-coaster and freak out frenzy to later find out nothing was wrong and the baby turned out just fine.

Sucks you have to put up with "canned" test BS on top of all the other pregnancy variables.. What does your gut tell you? it's not like this is your first rodeo...

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have to say it has been amazing to witness you going through refined sugar season (i.e. back-to-school, halloween, etc...) without falling off the wagon.

Reactions: rlb

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What does your gut tell you? it's not like this is your first rodeo...
There are so many pregnancy "scares". I honestly think it's BS. I'm not sure that a second test will yield different results though. I mean, I have known for a while that my body has not been processing sugars well, so it does make me wonder if there is some truth behind the results.

@gtluke I am definitely not in keto or whatever the proper term means. Sugar has been off limits but I haven't been avoiding white flour, or other processed foods. Breakfast this morning was drizzled in maple syrup.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess the pregnancy thread making me hungry is to be expected

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Update on BIKES since I completely failed to discuss bikes during my last update!

I did sneak out for 1hr 20 minutes on Friday, against my better judgment. Even though I was conjested, I felt pretty good on the bike, albeit slow. However, I clearly was not recovered enough from the cold and Saturday I felt like death. Napped for about 4 hours and had more coughing fits. Thank god for @Delish who let me just rest and recover, rather than dealing with the children.

Sunday woke up feeling like a million bucks. Did 1 hour yoga monday night, and will try for an hour on the trainer tonight.
As of right now I don't have any cold weather riding gear. All my winter tights and jackets are too nice/expensive for me to be ripping them apart and sewing in panels. This is still TBD.

On the WEIGHT front - I dug up my old weight records and as it turns out I'm almost exactly where I was weight-wise with my first pregnancy, over 5 years ago. Considering I started about 5lbs heavier this go-round, I would say I'm in a good spot : 10lbs gained by 28 weeks. The next few weeks are the ones where I gained the fastest in my last pregnancy, so will definitely need to keep those treats in check!

rlb

Alternatively you could toss logic out the window and sugar it up for the next week to prep for the test. That way your body will be ready to handle the sugar bomb again. Think of all the pies and iced cream tomorrow...

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Alternatively you could toss logic out the window and sugar it up for the next week to prep for the test. That way your body will be ready to handle the sugar bomb again. Think of all the pies and iced cream tomorrow...
This plan has crossed my mind, but honestly the heartburn is so bad after eating even the tiniest bit of sugar, it's sincerely not worth it.
I will be bringing my own fruit salad for dessert on Thanksgiving!

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Approaching the 30 week mark!

Took the follow up glucose test on Thursday. During the appointment immediately after the blood draw, the midwife who delivered both of my kids and who I consider to be a fairly straight-shooter, was like "you know you're going to fail the glucose test again, your results were so high, there's no way you'll pass."

So fast forward to getting the results today and what do you know, I did pass. Day of the original test, I think cough medicine, sickness, and god knows what else had me out of sorts. So onward we go....

I haven't ridden my bike outside in over a week. My last ride outside was a total of 6 miles, and ended in a sobbing phone call to @Delish because (long story not worth it) the bike was not working and was not fixable on the side of the road. I made it home, but was also freezing from riding in not appropriate clothes (yoga pants and a light baggy jacket). Later that night I did an hour on the trainer to pay penance. Will try the trainer again tonight.

Yoga has been playing a more prominent role in my fitness this go-round, for a few reasons. 1) @Delish has been sick for like a week now, and I've been handling most of the household duties, 2) it's winter and I have nothing to wear running or riding.

Somehow all the local yoga studios near us have either closed or stopped running prenatal classes, but I've subscribed to YogaToday.com to fill the gap. I also tried finding some prenatal classes on Youtube, so I have enough material to do yoga every other day. As an aside, I have to wonder if yoga video subscription services (I know there are many) are putting the hurt on yoga studios? Or if the increase in participation is offsetting the yoga video effect.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great stuff here. Glad the diabetes was a false alarm. I'm VERY impressed with your sewing skills!!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
a few weeks later now - I throw out a "smooth sailing from here on out" wish for you. not sure how i missed the post..

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stale thread no more!
Sitting a day shy of 34 weeks! That means 6 weeks to go, for anyone counting at home.
Current Status :
jfzBlnzozAt9e.gif

Holidays came and went. Managed to almost entirely avoid the dessert table, except for a few stray baklava.

I haven't ridden a bike for about 3 weeks. With all the holiday stuff, up late wrapping & cooking, I haven't had any energy to hop on the trainer at night.

One big difference with previous pregnancies - chasing a 3 and 5 year old all day accounts for a lot of my exercise. Bending over to clean up toys, sitting on the floor to play games, picking up the rugrats when they need hugs... it all tires me out. First pregnancy, there was no guilt taking the time to run/ride - if I just wanted to sit on my rear for the rest of the day, there was nobody to pout and whine about it. Well, other than @Delish.

So I'm doing prenatal yoga several times a week, walking the dog for an hour or so on days I'm not doing yoga. And you know what? I'm totally OK with this. I might try getting on the trainer tonight, but I also might just sit alone and have my way with a half dozen grapefruits.

Weight update!
As of this morning, I'm at 138 - which means that compared to my first pregnancy @ 34 week mark, I'm about 4lbs lighter. I think the credit goes entirely to the "no sugar" plan. I'm definitely feeling lighter, too.
Cravings, though, are in full effect! I am way into grapefruit at the moment. Also spinach. With the exception of sugar, I'm pretty much letting myself eat anything I want these days.

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm generally not over-sensitive but something about being pregnant makes people ask the rudest questions... here's a sampling of
Things you should never say to a pregnant woman

"You look HUGE!"

"Can I touch your belly?"

"Was the pregnancy planned?" This one should be obvious but I've been shocked how many people have asked me this with my third pregnancy.

"Have you picked a name yet?"
(Fun fact : @Delish wants to name the baby Fern)

"Are you so excited you're having a girl / not having another boy?" Like, what?! Are you implying that I'll love a girl more because I already have two little boys?

(basically any labor/delivery horror story)

pxs231

My aunt told my wife at her baby shower that she must be carrying twins since she is so huge... That was a fun one to smooth over...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
pro hint to guys:

"OMG, you look great!"
kiss - however you culturally do it. (due boci here)
smile
wait for response
"i'm so happy for you" or "you are doing great" - whichever applies.
ask about anything else - the other kids is popular.grandparents (if applies)

go away. they have to answer these questions 100 more times today, after doing it 100 times yesterday.

----

4 weeks to go! and in race terms....

go..go..go..!!

wishing you a smooth sail home.
XX <- due boci

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
36 weeks yesterday!
3rd pregnancy, it now seems, is starting to catch up with me. Everything hurts.
Sitting on the couch eating bonbons seems a really nice way to spend the day. Still walking and doing yoga, but the idea of running or riding right now makes my ligaments hurt.

Instead I've been trying to pack our calendar full of social activities. Now that @Delish is in week 2 of the off-season, he's been making pizzas and drinking sake as if Short Track isn't just around the corner.
[GALLERY=media, 1211]IMG_6068 by Dominos posted Jan 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM[/GALLERY]

Top Bottom