Rdoonz

Did you end up riding saturday @Rdoonz @freshmtb ? I thought about it, but didn't want to risk it in the snow.
I went out Saturday morning about 7:30. The ground was frozen solid with about an inch of snow so conditions were excellent. I went out on my fatbike, but two of my buddies were on "skinny" tire bikes and had a blast.

I made it out yesterday for a full loop to try and squeeze in one last ride before it started to thaw. Again conditions were excellent with about 3 inches of packed snow. Any bike would have been fine last night as long as you stayed on the hard pack. Unfortunately Six Mile is going to be out of the rotation until we get a cold snap over multiple days, or some significant snow. Looking at the forecast that doesn't look likely in the foreseeable future :(

Chris Nordt

Fair enough, winter riding is always a pain with the constant weather changes.. going from 18 to 45 in 3 days with moisture is going to make any riding surface a mess. Reminds me why I use to focus more on ice hockey in the winter months lol.

Rdoonz

Fair enough, winter riding is always a pain with the constant weather changes.. going from 18 to 45 in 3 days with moisture is going to make any riding surface a mess. Reminds me why I use to focus more on ice hockey in the winter months lol.
I hear ya. I think the two main keys to staying on the bike in the winter is having the right gear/clothing for the variety of conditions we see here and being willing to travel to different parks based on the conditions as well.

I see that you are in Laurence Harbor so you're close to Hartshorne/Huber which drains pretty well (like Allaire) so there are a decent number of riding days there during the winter months regardless of the temp changes. Places like Six Mile tends to hold water so it's really a matter of getting out there when the ground is frozen, whether it's multiple days below freezing, or getting out early in the morning before the thaw (which is an option I take advantage of often).

I'm also in Central Jersey, like you, so I think we have the advantage of being within an hour to an hour and half of most parks in the state so there is a lot to choose from that way. (plus I'm getting too old to play contact sports like hockey;))

Chris Nordt

I hear ya. I think the two main keys to staying on the bike in the winter is having the right gear/clothing for the variety of conditions we see here and being willing to travel to different parks based on the conditions as well.

I see that you are in Laurence Harbor so you're close to Hartshorne/Huber which drains pretty well (like Allaire) so there are a decent number of riding days there during the winter months regardless of the temp changes. Places like Six Mile tends to hold water so it's really a matter of getting out there when the ground is frozen, whether it's multiple days below freezing, or getting out early in the morning before the thaw (which is an option I take advantage of often).

I'm also in Central Jersey, like you, so I think we have the advantage of being within an hour to an hour and half of most parks in the state so there is a lot to choose from that way. (plus I'm getting too old to play contact sports like hockey;))
\

Haha yeah, I know what you mean. I had to give up hockey a year ago for health issues, but I'm OK to ride. The issue with winter riding is the limited day light and crazy weather. Winter clothes I've got, and after 20 years of ice hockey cold doesn't bug me much.. but wet/slick terrain always sucks. Snow riding isn't terrible till you hit a wet log or rocks, the tires go sliding, and you hit the ground. I'm actually about 2 minutes from Cheesequake, but that trail has become a joke, and I hit Huber a few times this summer.. I can just imagine those trails with wet conditions lol.

w_b

there will be many trails this weekend that are NOT a soggy mess. See you at one of them hopefully.

Kangdoy

Back in the forum after a few months dudes! Yup, itching to get back out there.....once I get new stuff for the bike.

Kangdoy

Hi there! newbie here.. any ride set this summer?

Hey Richard. Welcome! There will be plenty of riding this summer. As the weather gets warmer, keep an eye on this thread as we will post when we'll be riding. We tend to do most of our group rides at Six Mile. Are you close to that? Hope to meet and see you out there!

Top Bottom