Deer Park Conditions

ktmrider

Agree , we were there 2 weeks ago and it was I need of some trail maintenance , maybe Jorba can get involved with the park so it doesn't turn into a RV and require TONS of work . Which I hear RV is starting to make a turn thx to norm/ pat

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm really annoyed at myself for not getting out there. Crazy summer with no real extra time to spend on non household projects.

I may sneak a day off of work and spend the day there taking care of the overgrowth and widowmakers.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm really annoyed at myself for not getting out there. Crazy summer with no real extra time to spend on non household projects.

I may sneak a day off of work and spend the day there taking care of the overgrowth and widowmakers.
This isn't on you and don't take it that way.
Funny when we wanted to take control of the park and we're giving the cold shoulder of approval, a TM pops up days later then not one since.
Hey @Apache1 and @Jason you guys clearly have your hands full. Why not let folks who clearly want to keep this original mooch park up and running lead this park. Let the old regime go and keep everyone happy.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
This isn't on you and don't take it that way.
Funny when we wanted to take control of the park and we're giving the cold shoulder of approval, a TM pops up days later then not one since.
Hey @Apache1 and @Jason you guys clearly have your hands full. Why not let folks who clearly want to keep this original mooch park up and running lead this park. Let the old regime go and keep everyone happy.

I appreciate your frustration and I will certainly pass word on to Marc but I don't run any of the Allamuchy North / Deer Park efforts, only the Dickerson Mine Preserve. Often, Marc and I get mixed together but when it comes to Allamuchy, I'm just a worker bee and nothing more. Marc doesn't read the forums so like I said, I will be sure to pass on your message.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was out at Deer Park on Sunday. A huge thank you to @mattybfat for taking the initiative and time to address some of the heavy overgrowth within the park. I noticed right away and the group's arms were thankful at the end of the ride. Thank you!!!

qclabrat

how is Deer Park for riding today? trying to beat the daylight in the afternoon
Is Stephen or DP easier to navigate when it starts to get dark, I get lost lots... :(

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Deer Park and it should be fine!
If it's your first go stay white. White is the main loop. Red blue and yellow all cut distance off white. Orange leaves the park to Stephens unless you start from there. Lake road brings you back to lot of you get stuck. All unmarked trails bring you back to a marked trail. Good luck and have fun!

ktmrider

Deer Park and it should be fine!
If it's your first go stay white. White is the main loop. Red blue and yellow all cut distance off white. Orange leaves the park to Stephens unless you start from there. Lake road brings you back to lot of you get stuck. All unmarked trails bring you back to a marked trail. Good luck and have fun!
We should whip up some trail signs for DP , do we need any special approvals ?

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry for being late to this party.

@mattybfat summed it up perfectly.

Stephens is better if you know the trails or have someone give you a tour. I'll be there tomorrow morning if you want a tour. Sussex Branch trailhead at 9am.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just wrapped up a super fun ride at Deer Park. Approx 3+ inches of white stuff on the ground. Top layer just ever so slightly grabs your front wheel. Other than that.....it's awesome.

I parked at the school and rode in from there. Only one other rider out there. Get out and have a blast!!!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Frozen ground this morning, dusting to 1/2 inch of snow, great to be out. Done by 12 but even then the trails were still nice and firm.
1231160954_zpskveqmw2s.jpg

jdgang

Due to time constraints, had to ride here. This was on Saturday before the rain. The dry sections where prefect but the normal wet sections where really wet/really muddy. The contrast between the two was crazy. I would stay away at this time.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hiked a good portion of the back of the park and truly disheartened by the lack of attention the park is receiving. Tree falls all over, the connector orange trail alone has unridable falls scattered everywhere. Go arounds getting burned in. I take this personal as it's my local park and have been riding these trails for over 25 years and this is the worst I have ever seen it. Truly bummed!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Ticks are out in full force! Be careful out there and use repellents!

Had 13 ticks today and my wife says I have a bulls-eye rash :|

almost 100% dry conditions but where its wet its fucking wet!!! Also watch out for fishing poles on the trail crossing the bridge... I still have gravel in my underwear and a mean road rash :(.

slushdog

how does Deer Park compare with Stephens?
I've ridden neither and looking for a place for beginners

Deer Park is fast and flow-ey. Small rock clusters, roots, mostly dirt singletracks.

Stephens is definitely not for beginners. There are bigger features to ride over.

jpn

Was in deer Park mid day today. Up orange, around on white and yellow

Been 3 years since I have gotten in here. Lots of fun, but I was 30 lbs lighter and in better shape then.

I used to be able to ride up orange to white...not today.

Oh well, good motivation to try to lose a few pounds.

Had a blast!

Gonna try to hit this 2x a month. Maybe by summer end will be better on the climbs.

Kept hoping I'd run into Matty or some other mtbnj royalty, but no other bikers there when I was there.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom