Another help me build a FS bike thread :)

Pampa

My first real MTB was a FS ( '08 Cannondale Rush 1000) and then I moved to HTs for efficiency and because I was into XC racing. A combination of getting older, not racing anymore and less risk appetite than in the past when going downhill have me looking for a FS bike again.

I mostly ride Stephens Park/Allamuchy/Deer Park; not too much technical stuff. I'm thinking about trying some endurance races in the future too (like the 4 hr H2H races and maybe a few longer than that).

In looking at the range of bikes between pure XC and pure trail, I think the sweet spot for me is more towards the side of an XC bike with relaxed geometry (29er). I checked other threads here and elsewhere and I really like the the Niner RKT. I also like the Pivot Mach 429 SL. The RKT is optimized for 100mm forks and compatible with 120mm forks. The Pivot is the other way around; their builds come with 120mm forks but the bike is compatible with 100mm forks.

The first question I have is about the rear suspension of these bikes. There's plenty of info and rave reviews of the DW-Link suspension but couldn't find much about how Niner's CVA compares to that (one review positive and one negative). Anyone has experience with both? All I want to confirm really is that Niner's CVA doesn't suck and that it's somewhat comparable to the DW-Link.

The second question is what fork would you recommend. I'm leaning towards the Fox 32 Step Cast 100mm because it's pretty light and the 100mm might not be much, but it's more than the 60mm of the Lauf I'm running now on my Air 9. I'm also considering putting a Fox 34 120mm just because I'm not good at picking lines and I like how I can bash through things on my fatbike.

The rest of the build might be a transfer or parts from my Niner Air 9 (SRAM XX1 + RF Next SL direct mount, Niner bar, stem & seat post) except for the wheels (TBD).

Thanks!

RKT vs Pivot geo comp.jpg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Foaming over the 429SL with the 120mm. For riding up north I would be all over it. For the 4hr h2h races it will be more travel then you need though. For those races, 100mm is enough. I imagine the 429 is slightly more fun than a pure XC race FS 29er. Has just the right amount of trail in it.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I've had the jet9 RDO. The CVA is the best pedaling platform FS I've ridden. If it wasn't for snapping the seat tube I'd STILL be riding it. I have a Tallboy now (similar rear susp) DW link, CVA, Maestro, VPP.... all refer to dual pivot, solid rear triangle designs and any of them would serve you well. IMHO.

Mr.Moto

I had a RIP9 for a number of years and now ride a Bucksaw with the Split Pivot DW Link. In my non professional opinion they seem very similar. I liked the CVA for its ability to suck up the rough stuff and still climb well. The Split Pivot works similarly. I would even say the suspension disappears under you while hitting chunky sections which is a real good thing.

trener1

Just to chime in here, I was at a Niner demo in Septmebr and demoe'd the RKT that was indeed spec'ed with a 100mm fork, I was chatting with the niner guy about having a fast bike but not a dedicated racer, and he recommended the RKT with a 120 fork. just some food for thought.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
On a side note the Top Fuel has adjustable geometry. Never found a real use for that until talking to Monti. He has an adjustable geo rocky mountain instinct and said he switched setup for the enduro day at transylvania epic and ultimately won it. The tallboy requires 120mm I think.
@pearl @Juggernaut @Mr.Moto thank you for the input. I've been checking @David Taylor's thread also and using that info since I'm looking for something similar. I decided to go with the Niner RKT with a 100mm fork. I'm a better climber than I'm a descender, and I decided to play to my strength.

Pampa

Just to chime in here, I was at a Niner demo in Septmebr and demoe'd the RKT that was indeed spec'ed with a 100mm fork, I was chatting with the niner guy about having a fast bike but not a dedicated racer, and he recommended the RKT with a 120 fork. just some food for thought.

You had to say that... :) I was actually going to go with the 120mm and then changed my mind at last minute because of weight savings (after getting excited by discussions of building a very light XC FS bike to race). The truth is that this will be my only bike (besides my fatbike) and I'm not going to do more than a couple of XC races next year. I'm planning on doing a long bikepacking race and this will be my bike for that too.

So, I think I'll change it to 120mm. I guess the question now is if it's worth going with the Fox Float 32 120mm or the Fox Float 34 120mm. There's 267 gr of difference between the two but the 34 has the 34mm stanchions obviously. I should be fine with the 32 (I've used those for years anyway) but I curious if I'd feel a difference with the 34. The thought of being able to let go a bit more on the descents (or have more security) is appealing.

Pampa

On a side note the Top Fuel has adjustable geometry. Never found a real use for that until talking to Monti. He has an adjustable geo rocky mountain instinct and said he switched setup for the enduro day at transylvania epic and ultimately won it. The tallboy requires 120mm I think.

When I looked at your frame choice I compared that w/ the RKT and the Mach 429. The geometry seems to be right in the middle of the two (see below, and comparable to a GF SS that I rode for 2 years and I loved). The Tallboy is a bit too much on the Trail side for me, and I don't see myself switching to 27.5 set of wheels, or doing Enduro races either :).

Geo comp.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
After going with the 34, I'd never go back to the 32.... but I'm a hippo...so...yeah. :)

The step cast gives you almost all the benefits of the 34 at an XC weight. Since it's not my money I'd step think about the step cast 120 51 offset.

Pampa

After going with the 34, I'd never go back to the 32.... but I'm a hippo...so...yeah. :)

The step cast gives you almost all the benefits of the 34 at an XC weight. Since it's not my money I'd step think about the step cast 120 51 offset.

The thing is the Step Cast only comes in 100mm. The 32 120mm is not SC but the weight difference is not that much (w/o the remote). It's also the cheaper one. I think I'll go with this one.

Fox forks comp.jpg

Pampa

Kona Hei Hei was my next option with a 34/120. I am an xc guy though so top fuel it is. @pooriggy seems to have no problems xcing his Tallboy.

Ha, didn't know that. I haven't been much around races lately. Anyway, I pulled the trigger on the RKT already. After checking 3 bike shops in the area and none of them dealing with Niner anymore (what's up with that?) I got a really good deal on cyber Monday. Now I have to see if I can change the fork before they ship.

trener1

You had to say that... :) I was actually going to go with the 120mm and then changed my mind at last minute because of weight savings (after getting excited by discussions of building a very light XC FS bike to race). The truth is that this will be my only bike (besides my fatbike) and I'm not going to do more than a couple of XC races next year. I'm planning on doing a long bikepacking race and this will be my bike for that too.

So, I think I'll change it to 120mm. I guess the question now is if it's worth going with the Fox Float 32 120mm or the Fox Float 34 120mm. There's 267 gr of difference between the two but the 34 has the 34mm stanchions obviously. I should be fine with the 32 (I've used those for years anyway) but I curious if I'd feel a difference with the 34. The thought of being able to let go a bit more on the descents (or have more security) is appealing.

I think it depends on what you want out of the bike of course if it's going to be an all out racer then by all means keep the 100, but if it's an all around fun bike with a few races thrown in, then I think the 120 might just make you happier most of the time, and yeah maybe a drop slower on race day.

RobW

@Pampa just wanted to chime in, if you wanted to demo the RKT, there is one at The Red Bicycle in Red Bank and he will let you take it and rip it around Hartshorne. give jonathan a call, he loves to talk ;)

Pampa

@Pampa just wanted to chime in, if you wanted to demo the RKT, there is one at The Red Bicycle in Red Bank and he will let you take it and rip it around Hartshorne. give jonathan a call, he loves to talk ;)

@Flaubert Hey. Thank you for the heads up. Unfortunately, I'm going for shoulder surgery tomorrow so I'm not going to be able to ride for a while, and I already ordered the frame. I guess I could leave it in the box until I can test ride the bike they have in Red Bicycle and return it if I don't like the ride. The question is if I'm going to be able to resist start building it before I can ride :) Maybe I'll make my way over there over there at some point just to check it out...

Pampa

Below is how I'm planning to build the frame. Several things will come off my current bike (Air 9 Carbon). Weights of new stuff are claimed/estimated, weights of stuff I have, weighed by me during the last build.

Any thoughts on the stem length?

New 2016 Niner RKT RDO black & red, Medium 2,041 gr. Weight includes rear shock, headset, seatpost clamp and RD hanger

New Fox 32 FLOAT 29 120 FIT4 3-Position Lever w/Open Mode Adj. 1,516 gr.

Have Race Face Cinch PF30, 30mm spindle 106 gr.

Have Race Face Next SL Cinch 460 gr.

New Race Face direct mount 32T 70 gr.

Have Crankbrothers Eggbeaters Ti 200 gr.

New Avid Level Ultimates w/ Avid CLX 160mm/140mm 318 gr./375 gr. Replacing Avid BB7s - not light for racing or enough stopping power for a loaded bikepacking bike.

Have SRAM XX1, 11-speed 120 gr. With cable housing?

Have SRAM XX1 Type 2.1, 11-speed 235 gr.

Have SRAM XG-1199, 11-speed, 10-42 260 gr. Might need to replace the 42T.

New KMC X11 SL 235 gr.

Have Niner RDO 100mm 110 gr. Right now using a 90mm and this bike's ETT is 10 mm shorter so I guess I should compensate that w/ a longer stem or should I use a setback seatpost and a shorter stem (80mm)?

Have Carbon spacers 30 gr.

Have Niner RDO, 690mm 175 gr.

Have Specialized Countour 102 gr.

Have Seat post Niner RDO, 370mm 214 gr.

Have Selle Italia SLR 150 gr.

New TBD: Stan's ZTR Bravo (26mm internal width) or custom build w/ similar Light Bicycle rims 1,780 gr.

Have Maxxis Ikon 2.35 3C TR EXO 740 gr.

Have Maxxis Ikon 2.2 3C TR EXO 640 gr.

Have Stans, 2 oz. on each tire 120 gr.

Have ??? Bottle cage 35 gr.

Have Garmin sensors and mounts 100 gr.?

Estimated weight: 22.3 lb

I'm so looking forward to get this bike rolling!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
@Flaubert Hey. Thank you for the heads up. Unfortunately, I'm going for shoulder surgery tomorrow so I'm not going to be able to ride for a while, and I already ordered the frame. I guess I could leave it in the box until I can test ride the bike they have in Red Bicycle and return it if I don't like the ride. The question is if I'm going to be able to resist start building it before I can ride :) Maybe I'll make my way over there over there at some point just to check it out...

First, good luck tomorrow.

Now, you know darn well you ain't leave'n that frame in the box. :)

Pretty sure bike assembly qualifies as PT. ;)

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your shoulder will be in recovery mode, so as a kind human being, I volunteer your build and test this new machine to make sure it's safe for your return!

Hope you are well for some annual Short Track fun, and Tour Divide.

Pampa

Your shoulder will be in recovery mode, so as a kind human being, I volunteer your build and test this new machine to make sure it's safe for your return!

Hope you are well for some annual Short Track fun, and Tour Divide.

Thanks! Hoping for some snow in Jan so I can log some miles on cushy trails on the fatbike first. I can always cool my shoulder in the snow if it hurts :)

Top Bottom