Jshort’s bike thread

The suckage

I woke up to this:
IMG_0003.JPG

And had visions of this:
snow cross.jpg

Instead I got this:
IMG_0008.JPG

I can echo @seanrunnette's statment about having to get shit in order after this wake up. I forgot so much shit, starting with a jacket. No big deal, its only 36 degrees and windy, and spitting a little snow.
And to also echo my other mtbnj teammate @Delish , I've been sick since cooper river 5 weeks ago. No joke. I went to the Dr and he's like "Wtf, you stupid?". I had bronchitis/walking pneumonia, and this race was 4 days since i came off the antibiotics, so what kind of expectations am i really supposed to have? (BTW Eric - Go see a dr. 3 weeks is too long. So i was told) .
Anway, I tried to hold on to some semblance of fitness throughout the sickness so when the time came, i wouldnt die. Well the time came, and i died a little Sunday.
I was going to warm up on my trainer, but its a smart trainer and i was not about to set that up outside in the snow, so I just rode the lot for 30 minutes before the race. Once day i'll learn that this does not really accomplish much. I also need to buy a cheapo trainer for cx warmups. Or i guess i can just bring my rollers?
Lineups and i'm waaaay back. Like 5th or 6th row. And let me take a moment here to rant. If you are about to race and they are lining up.. go there and be ready. If they call your name and you miss it, you're fucked. Dont expect people to make room for you. Go to the back of the pack and think about your mistake. Rant #2, why do some people stink so fucking bad? Dude I lined up next too took off his jacket and I almost gagged from the stink. I could wear the same kit for the month in july without washing and not smell that bad.

We're off and there is a definite delayed reaction... GO, wait, wait, then start pedaling. Go really fast. Then stop and wait for people to dismount and run through the mud. I try to be a little aggressive here and muscle my way though the crowd, but there's literally 4 inches of mud and i should add mud spikes to the list of things i forgot. So, I have very little traction and am forced to wait my turn and then start running. By this point the front of the race is gone...just like that.
Once I am able to ride again, I hop and pedal, and i am getting an awful grinding when i am in the easiest gear. Probably stemming from the bent deraileur hangar I never fixed because hey, it shifts fine.
The rest of the race is a mix of running through the mud, riding slowly trying to ride unsuccessfully, and skidding down the hills.

Not skidding here!

IMG_0007.JPG

This was the most off camber-ish race loop i can remember so having the entire (no exaggeration.. the entire loop) be mud was super challenging.
By the last lap I was much more comfortable, but I was also physically shot.
4 laps took me 55ish minutes. LOL.

After the race I pondered many things.

First of which was bothering to line up for the bike wash!
IMG_0006.JPG

I decided against that. I changed out of my mud kit, jumped into dry clothes and got the fuck out of there...forgetting my mtbnj jersey in the process. (Thanks @Santapez for grabbing it)
I also thought alot about my season and I came to the conclusion that its sucked, and nowhere near what i wanted it to be, but i'm not about to change plans. I'll still do the last 2 races on my calendar and I'm still going to go for natz. If nothing else, I really have learned a ton of stuff about myself, and what I need to do to be fast. The problem is life outside of bike, also known as real life.

Sometimes, life takes your plans and does this:
pinata.gif

All I can do is pick up the candy and eat that shit.

The suckage

I woke up to this:
View attachment 43781

And had visions of this:
View attachment 43777

Instead I got this:
View attachment 43778

I can echo @seanrunnette's statment about having to get shit in order after this wake up. I forgot so much shit, starting with a jacket. No big deal, its only 36 degrees and windy, and spitting a little snow.
And to also echo my other mtbnj teammate @Delish , I've been sick since cooper river 5 weeks ago. No joke. I went to the Dr and he's like "Wtf, you stupid?". I had bronchitis/walking pneumonia, and this race was 4 days since i came off the antibiotics, so what kind of expectations am i really supposed to have? (BTW Eric - Go see a dr. 3 weeks is too long. So i was told) .
Anway, I tried to hold on to some semblance of fitness throughout the sickness so when the time came, i wouldnt die. Well the time came, and i died a little Sunday.
I was going to warm up on my trainer, but its a smart trainer and i was not about to set that up outside in the snow, so I just rode the lot for 30 minutes before the race. Once day i'll learn that this does not really accomplish much. I also need to buy a cheapo trainer for cx warmups. Or i guess i can just bring my rollers?
Lineups and i'm waaaay back. Like 5th or 6th row. And let me take a moment here to rant. If you are about to race and they are lining up.. go there and be ready. If they call your name and you miss it, you're fucked. Dont expect people to make room for you. Go to the back of the pack and think about your mistake. Rant #2, why do some people stink so fucking bad? Dude I lined up next too took off his jacket and I almost gagged from the stink. I could wear the same kit for the month in july without washing and not smell that bad.

We're off and there is a definite delayed reaction... GO, wait, wait, then start pedaling. Go really fast. Then stop and wait for people to dismount and run through the mud. I try to be a little aggressive here and muscle my way though the crowd, but there's literally 4 inches of mud and i should add mud spikes to the list of things i forgot. So, I have very little traction and am forced to wait my turn and then start running. By this point the front of the race is gone...just like that.
Once I am able to ride again, I hop and pedal, and i am getting an awful grinding when i am in the easiest gear. Probably stemming from the bent deraileur hangar I never fixed because hey, it shifts fine.
The rest of the race is a mix of running through the mud, riding slowly trying to ride unsuccessfully, and skidding down the hills.

Not skidding here!

View attachment 43779

This was the most off camber-ish race loop i can remember so having the entire (no exaggeration.. the entire loop) be mud was super challenging.
By the last lap I was much more comfortable, but I was also physically shot.
4 laps took me 55ish minutes. LOL.

After the race I pondered many things.

First of which was bothering to line up for the bike wash!
View attachment 43780

I decided against that. I changed out of my mud kit, jumped into dry clothes and got the fuck out of there...forgetting my mtbnj jersey in the process. (Thanks @Santapez for grabbing it)
I also thought alot about my season and I came to the conclusion that its sucked, and nowhere near what i wanted it to be, but i'm not about to change plans. I'll still do the last 2 races on my calendar and I'm still going to go for natz. If nothing else, I really have learned a ton of stuff about myself, and what I need to do to be fast. The problem is life outside of bike, also known as real life.

Sometimes, life takes your plans and does this:
View attachment 43776

All I can do is pick up the candy and eat that shit.

This reminds me...it was right around this time last year when I was pondering why I was racing CX.. All things considered and with life's limited time for having fun, I like riding my MTB better. No more CX for me. And that was it... The thought never left me.

This cold/flu went like 6 rounds on me. Kept coming back and punching me in the face. Last week was the worst sinus infection I have ever had. Finally I think it's kicked doe. I probably should have gone on antibiotics a long time ago.

I've been dying for a good mud race for a long time. They suck in a good way and a bad way. The look more fun from this side of the screen.

This reminds me...it was right around this time last year when I was pondering why I was racing CX.. All things considered and with life's limited time for having fun, I like riding my MTB better. No more CX for me. And that was it... The thought never left me.

I know I sound like I'm down, but I love this shit. I love pinning on a number. I actually have grown to enjoy training too. I am the kind of person that benefits from riding with a purpose. If I didn't race I wouldn't have as much a purpose to ride. I still enjoy just riding, but too much JRA'ing and I lose focus.

Are you wearing a jacket and racing? it couldn't have been that cold, it looks like a bare leg day IMO

I know I sound like I'm down, but I love this shit. I love pinning on a number. I actually have grown to enjoy training too. I am the kind of person that benefits from riding with a purpose. If I didn't race I wouldn't have as much a purpose to ride. I still enjoy just riding, but too much JRA'ing and I lose focus.

I'm currently falling into the other side of this, which I think is okay at this juncture in my life and maybe in 9 months from now I can be back on the wagon. I ponder this too much, goals, do I really need goals or purpose, etc. Maybe I should write something today.

Being deathly ill blows and as of now, knock on wood, I haven't been deathly ill that it ruins a season for me. Being dead for 4 weeks (almost a third of a cx season) is not going to help. How about don't get sick?

I've been JRAing into CX this year and all I think about is "what if". I think about it on every ride, it was almost hard to enjoy while being solo. Maybe that is... Okay I'm getting off t

Are you wearing a jacket and racing? it couldn't have been that cold, it looks like a bare leg day IMO

Bro...you live in NC ...you forgot what cold is. Lol...
A vest. I forgot a base layer. I was still cold AF.

I'm currently falling into the other side of this, which I think is okay at this juncture in my life and maybe in 9 months from now I can be back on the wagon. I ponder this too much, goals, do I really need goals or purpose, etc. Maybe I should write something today.

Being deathly ill blows and as of now, knock on wood, I haven't been deathly ill that it ruins a season for me. Being dead for 4 weeks (almost a third of a cx season) is not going to help. How about don't get sick?

I've been JRAing into CX this year and all I think about is "what if". I think about it on every ride, it was almost hard to enjoy while being solo. Maybe that is... Okay I'm getting off t

You just had your first child, so...it's going to take a while for things to settle and get into a flow. Like a year maybe? :)

One of the things I've learned this year is Shit happens, and you don't have to let it ruin the rest of/all of your season. I dont let myself get too discouraged. I started with a plan of 6 weekends in a row ending with bubblecross which I picked because of the state championship.

That plan got all F'd up because I got sick right in the middle, but I figure I'm better off to keep on going because I'm not lacking motivation or desire.

is no one going to remember all those times I wore bare legs and no one else did? Those SCCX races? I was 1 of 1 finisher bare leg crew check in squad

i just started typing a bunch of words and i realized im just writing what i think i should, not what i want to write about.

Back to bullets.

* Supercross sucked so bad....I wish it never happened. LOL, a little dramatic but it was a cold (literally and figuratively) reminder that i am not where I had hoped to be this season.

* I decided that i would rather race the 40+ group which had a much higher reg number than cat 3. I dont know if my days of acing cat 3 are over. After listening to @Norm and @seanrunnette ramble on for 45 minutes a about upgrades and the categories, i am even more unsure. But a few things that were reinforced from that discussion were, "winning" is not really the point. "Racing" is the point. I want to race where I think I will have the race experience. Sounds like bullshit? Yea, I guess that it does. I want to be able to hang with the lead group. At least for a little while. I also want to have as many in race battles as I can. This is huge and is what makes racing cross fun in the first place. How these things maker me pick 40+ over cat 3 ? Not sure.. I think it was just the much bigger reg #.

* I pickled up the used Trainer from @Santapez before the race. I was able to throw on my road wheel and warm up on it, even though my cross biker is 11sp and the road wheel is 10 sp. Warming up on a trainer is something I should have started doing a long time ago. I dont think riding in circles in the parking lot does shit but get you almost hit by a car.

* I dont know how the hell they decided the call up order, but Chis Labudde should not be called up before Dan Larino. WTF ?

* As for the race, I was able to hang with the lead group until the....

* I really hate pinwheels. Especially when they are just mud bogs. And then right after it was a run up, which was ridable, but when you get the top and are sucking in air, you get mouthfulls of stench from the bathrooms. Ugh.

*Once settled into the second lap, I rode the rest of the race by myself. I still managed to battle with the guy in front of me by trying to catch, which I never did, and also busted my ass to avoid the guys behind me from catching. There were a few times i thought they were making up huge gaps but never did catch.

*In the beginning of the season I thought my skills on a cx bike were probably above average, but now i realize I am lucky to call them mediocre. I lost time everywhere....in turns, descents, the sand... Not attending the weekly cross practices was a huge mistake and this is part of the reason.

*I felt way better than I have. I was able to breath so.. that right there is an improvement. @The Heckler said he is always a little off the race after a race free weekend . That really resonated because I have not been able to string together enough races. I dont think Ive done two weeks in a row all year.... much less 3 in a row. And this is a big reason why my fitness is nowhere near where I wish i was. The best way to get faster is to race a lot and i missed that boat this year.

*I finished 8th, which I was pretty happy with.

Capture.PNG

Reading star 2, are you saying you have a better chance and racing in the front group of the open 40+ race versus the Cat 3 race? I was just going to check out the results HOLY CRAP ONLY 5 PEOPLE RACED CAT 3?! Now I don't blame you.

Nice work for someone who's not been on the gas at all! Marc I is flying. His best season in a long while.
50+ had the best numbers of the day. Not sure what that means, except mebbe that we're not dying off as fast as we used to?
+1 on the warmup. It's cold, parking lots aren't warm and they're pretty far from that tea or coffee you wanna be drinking while you spin. And yeah, getting clocked by someone still fucking with Google Maps isn't how I want to start my day...

*Nice finish in a strong group.

*Jurgen Beneke was once a World Cup-level downhiller. He's also in my age group, but elected to race with the youngsters.

*Some of those time gaps look more like an mtb race.

*The dearth of Cat 3 racers is a bummer.

*Speaking of my age group: We were chuckling during call-ups about the large-ish turnouts all season of old geezers who refuse to quit racing their bikes. I was warned about this at age 30, when I began getting serious about road racing. The old guys told me that Masters racing was no joke. They were correct.

Re: *#9... Yes. You think this applies to MTB?.. I was thinking this exact thing for 17's MTB season - try to race every weekend and avoid free weekends.

Well done on the 8th.

Why not race the 40+ masters going forward?

Reading star 2, are you saying you have a better chance and racing in the front group of the open 40+ race versus the Cat 3 race? I was just going to check out the results HOLY CRAP ONLY 5 PEOPLE RACED CAT 3?! Now I don't blame you.
This is something I will need to look at next year as well... Either way, I'm in for an ass whooping.
@jShort you were the 4th Cat 3 racer in your race. The order went like this: 2, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, you. Didn't look past your spot. For me, going forward will be about the race within a race.

This is something I will need to look at next year as well... Either way, I'm in for an ass whooping.

That is really up to you, will you push yourself to grow or just do the same old thing and have the same old results?

Nationals -
33958.jpeg

This was the race the almost didn't happen. For me anyway. Having a target race the first week of January, in Connecticut really presents several challenges.

1. Keeping motivated. It's really easy to slack off and lose focus during the holidays. It's really easy to fall off track and become lazy. It's not easy to keep getting up at 530AM to get on a trainer and bang out intervals in the middle of December. I can't count how many times I almost said fuck it.

2. I'd rather just ride my mountain bike socially and stress free. The ground is frozen, I'm off of work, teammates are riding...ugh.. Nothing I'd rather do. But this day is a specific workout which I really need to hit right. It took a little dedication. I did take some days where I just rode for fun, and i think it actually helped. I was able to find a good mix.

3. Staying Healthy. This is the season of stress, sickness, and lack of sleep. Its a struggle that takes some luck to beat. Getting from the week before Christmas to the week after New Years without some illness is a challenge..Especially when you have kids.

4. Along the same lines as point 1 and 3, not over indulging in the festivities. I came close, but I really tried to limit it. I struggled at times, especially when there is a delicious pecan pie and bottle of 18 year single malt calling my name... and I don't have to work the next day.

I battled with all o these and probably a lot more that I can't think of, but somehow on Tuesday January 3rd , I woke up and realized I survived the holidays.

IMG_20170105_161301.jpg

Lets pack up and hit the f***in road!

Fast forward to Friday Morning. My race starts at 1:40.

I wake up and look out the window of my hotel room at the Holiday inn. Snow is coming down and looks pretty heavy. Forecast says its going to stop soon, bu theres already 2 inches on the ground.

IMG_20170106_081423.jpg

The weather was making its presence felt!

I hit the free breakfast and have some conveyer belt pancakes, 2 yogurts, and a cinnamon roll. I also drink 2 big cups of coffee. I had my dad and sister tagging along and we just chilled in the hotel and killed some time. I didn't need to get to the race until 10ish so no rush.

As we're driving to the venue and getting close, I look out the window and see the taped course and some people racing on a snow covered course. I was looking from up above on the highway bridge, and it looked so damn cool. I had a moment of peacefulness from this vantage.

Once I get dropped off while Dad and sis go park the truck, reg and stuff. I run into @Delish who drive up that morning. Sounds like he had a fun ride up and I was glad he made it. I also saw @MadisonDan and chatted with him for a few minutes. Then I saw @seanrunnette who always has words of wisdom and encouragement. Yea! Seeing all the familiar friendly faces helps calm some race day nerves.

The clock kept moving and soon it was time for course inspection. I get on the course and its packed snow, on top of now frozen ruts from previous days races. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being a dry grass crit and 10 being a course that requires studs or ice skates, this was a solid 8 on the sketch-o-meter. Most was ridable, but you really needed to be careful with what you did once you got up to speed. If there was a good rut, commit to it and ride it. Bonk Breaker hill was hell. I tried both lines during inspection and didn't find one to be any better than the other. Whichever path had less traffic was the way to go i figured.

After inspection I hit up the power washer line and waited. I ran into Dan Larino and @ChrisG. We all agreed one thing... this day was all about the course.

Suddenly, I find myself at the Rapha Tent. They were serving espresso shots and all proceeds went to some charity. I couldn't say no. As I sat there on my bike, a cross race in winter, in Connecticut...drinking espresso from a little paper Rapha cup no less, I realize I had reached the pinnacle of my bike racing career. Not really, but it was pretty awesome sitting there talking to the Rapha guy serving. Jpow and Ellen Noble casually stroll by and actually say hello. I was feeling the vibe of the big event for sure.

I had about 45 minutes to race so after getting my numbers pinned on I hit the Kinetic trailer. I walked in and was greeted by a friendly guy who sat my bike up for me, then once I got on and started pedaling he came back with a bottle of water. That was nice.

The announcer called all Masters 40-44 to staging so I hopped off and started getting my bike off, and dude man comes right over and does it for me. Can these guys come to every race?

So there we are, waiting forever for our names to be called... Me, Eric, and Dan are all in the last of second to last row. Somehow Eric is behind us which makes me wonder how they decide the starting grid.

Once the race starts and the movement reaches us in the back, I sprint as hard as i can. I know if I don't bust my ass here, I am going to finish near the end. By the time I make it to the actual start line I'm passing and making up spots in bunches.

33955.jpeg

Once we get to the straightaway by the team tents and pits we hit the now extra sketchy ruts. I thank god I remember my glasses because mud is coming up in chunks. It took about 20 yards for there to be a huge pile up. It's right in front of me and I have to lock up my brakes and come to a stop. In the corner of my eye I see @Delish get around quickly and he is gone.

The pile up included 2 guys from the same team and had identical bikes. They actually didn't know which was theirs. lol.

Once I get going, I'm not sure if I made or lost spots but i don't dwell on it long...and go back to sprinting. Half way towards bonk breaker hill I almost take myself out in a hidden rut. This throws me off and I take the high line...There is so much traffic here I try to drop down from the upper most ledge and run by people. I have some success but then I start slipping and have to get back to that perch.

Once you remount the bike you have to ride a slick off camber section to leads to a steep downhill. The name of the game here is get clipped in asap so you can comfortably descend this hill. You dont want to be on top of your pedals and not clipped in when you hit the bottom because there are a handful of rutted paths you need to pick from and commit to. The sketch o meter goes way up if you're not securely clipped in.

I do manage to clip in (I think that was the only time during the race) and I carry a ton of speed into the woods. It was clear that the course had changed dramatically since inspection. Gone was the snow and hidden frozen ruts. In their place was an inch of peanut butter mud on top of not-quite-solid ruts. They were softening a bit now which actually helped with traction a little. I think. Or maybe not.

I hammered as much as I could in the woods. There were riders to pass left and right and I knew that these next 7ish minutes would have the biggest impact on my finishing position. I clawed my way though on two wheels, on foot, scootering, whatever. Looking back I'm pretty proud of this effort. I think where I was, with the riders that were around me, I had the better skills and I definitely wanted it more.

69781515-20170106-IMG_2778.jpg

Once I got to the second lap and beyond, making up spots got harder. The conditions deteriorated every lap. The lines and mud on BB hill got harder and harder to clear. The mud actually froze to my glasses making visibility a little less than 100%. Clipping in also got challenging due to the mud freezing in my cleat.

Still, I rode clean. I made sections that other guys were having a hard time with and that gave me opportunities to make a few more passes.

Towards the end of my 4th lap, I am near the rutted watch tower and I hear, "race leader!" Ugh... I'm about to get lapped. As I hit the straight away to the finish, I let him go by and win his silly little race :). I'm not sure if my race is done or not, but not taking any chances so I hammer on. Technically I think I should have been done, but I head out for #5

Half way through my final lap and I feel like I'm the only one out there. I get some heckles, and some encouragement. It was weird, but cool. I was indeed the last one out there because they pulled every one behind me.

I cross the line in 57th place which was actually higher than I thought. I passed somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 racers to get there.

Results.png

I'm glad I went out for that 5th lap...

It was insane how heavy my bike was, or that it still worked. I must have had 20 lbs of mud on it and the drive train was the only bit that wasn't coated.

2 minutes after finishing, I see @Harryhamilton and we talk about the race. He snaps this pic of me at finish:
IMG_20170106_164042_127.jpg

I hate (HATE) to use the word, it really was an epic finish to cross season. I got off to a rocky start, but this race really put a nice bow on it. I know the results don't scream success, and it's hard to find the right words, but it left me pretty satisfied with cross season.

Congratulations Jeremy! Entertaining recap too. Not knowing anything about CX it makes me want to try it, especially the last pic :) Also, good job on staying motivated and focused during the extended season/holidays.

Well Done Jeremy!

Cool to see you stay dedicated and disciplined and finish the year strong. Many would've thrown in the towel a long time ago - Respect. The picture of you and your girlish figure should be framed and hung next to your beer stash.

Tell us about your season ending celebratory food and alcohol binge.

Back
Top Bottom