Raritan 911: Robocop

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for all the well wishes. Much appreciated.

There's a new kid on my shift and I was immediately told he can't backup a patrol car. Like legitimately. He'll K-turn for an hour in a driveway before attempting to backup.

I asked him about it and he was taught to drive in a car with a backup camera.

Me: Wait, you've never driven a car that didn't have a backup camera?
Him: No.
Me: Never? Not a friend's car, nothing?
Him: Well yeah I have but then I don't backup in it.

I spoke with his training officer who tried to teach him to backup for two hours on a midnight shift before giving up and threatening to kill the new officer.

Me: What if I draw lines on the pavement. Could you backup straight then?
Him: No probably not.
Me: So the lines have to be on a monitor for you not to hit something?
Him: Pretty much.
Me: You know how ridiculous you are right? Sounds like you were at the top of your academy class. Can you shoot straight?
Him: Yeah I shoot fairly well.
Me: If I'm getting my ass kicked somewhere and your response to back me up is delayed because of a 100-point turn in someone's driveway, I will kick your ass. Look forward to working with you.
Him: Um, ok.

I've never felt older than today.

We got a good/weird one today. I'll title it "AirBNB Gone Bad" and type it up soon.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ha gold, never thought about that. just backing up in the fit vs the crv with the back up camera makes my neck hurt sometimes :p

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
add in cross traffic detection, and there really isn't even a reason to look around.....

woody

Please stage some kind of urgent life or death situation where K-turn Kid must back up a car with a trailer hooked up.

And looking forward to AirBNB...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
AirBnB Gone Bad

Saturday morning, my sergeant, Matt, got dispatched to a possible burglary to a residence. I was on my way to assist when I got sent to another call. Matt was at the residence for over an hour and never called a detective to the scene, so I couldn't figure out what the hell he was doing. After he cleared the call, I met up with my sergeant and he told me this story. 40+ years of experience between us and it was a new one for both of us.

Matt arrives and talks with the homeowner. The homeowner seems sane, sober, and normal. The homeowner describes the following:

His long-time friend, who is a priest, was staying overnight at his residence. Both the resident and the priest went to bed around midnight. At 5am, the doorbell rings. The homeowner gets out of bed, goes downstairs, and sees no one at the door. Foolishly, he opens the door, walks down the walkway to the driveway, sees no one around, and then heads back to bed.

At 7am, the homeowner gets up and goes downstairs. On the rug at the front door is a pair of sneakers. They aren't his sneakers and they weren't there when he got up at 5am for the doorbell. The homeowner figures they must be the priest's, although the priest is still in his bedroom.

At 8am the priest gets up and goes downstairs. The homeowner asks the priest if the sneakers are his. The priest says no, they aren't his sneakers and he didn't put them on the rug. The homeowner is legitimately concerned, has no explanation for the sneakers, but decides that there must be some reasonable explanation. He and the priest go into the kitchen for coffee and breakfast. At the 8:45am, the homeowner walks back into the foyer and sees that the sneakers are now gone. The homeowner calls 9-1-1 for assistance.

Matt searches the residence. There's no one else in the residence. No broken windows. No pried doors, no signs of forcible entry. Matt then walks around the residence with the homeowner and asks him to make sure nothing is disturbed, out of place, or missing. The only thing noted by the homeowner was that some wrapped birthday presents for a family member had been moved in the den. The presents had been moved from the couch to the floor.

Matt re-interviews the homeowner and interviews the priest, as the most likely explanation is one of the two is either crazy or lying. But Matt feels they are sane and honest. Matt is at a loss. Cops hate not knowing the answers to shit like this, so Matt walks over to the neighbor's house to see if anyone there saw anything overnight and to check the exterior of the residence for signs of forcible entry.

Next door, the homeowner says he saw and heard nothing. The residence looks normal and as Matt is ready to leave, the homeowner says hey, I have a guy in from out of town staying with me for the weekend. He's renting a room that I listed on AirBnB. He was in town for a bachelor party and wedding for an old friend and he probably came in late last night. Matt, of course, says yes yes, I definitely want to speak with him!

The homeowner gets the guest up. He's visibly hungover...maybe even still drunk. Matt talks with him and he initially says he didn't see or hear anything last night. But he's obviously hiding something as he can't maintain eye contact and is being deceptive about when he came back to the house. After Matt changed to "bad cop", he came clean.

The guest booked his room on AirBnB as his buddy was getting married in Clinton. He drove to the AirBnB residence, parked his car, dropped off his bags, and called an Uber since he knew he was getting banged up with his friends. He asked the AirBnB homeowner to leave the front door open for him since he'd be out late. The homeowner agreed. After a night of partying, he Uber'd back to the residence.

The guest had never been to the AirBnB house at night and the Uber driver dropped him off at the house next door accidentally. The guest found the front door locked, so he rang the doorbell. He then walked around to the back of the house to see if there was a back door that he could enter. No luck. He came back around to the front and decided to check the door again. Open!! So he walked inside, left his shoes on the rug, and immediately realized he didn't remember where his room was in the house. Instead of waking up the homeowner, he walked into the den, moved the presents off the couch, and fell asleep.

After a few hours, the guest woke up to hearing voices. They were talking about his sneakers. Oh shit. The guest realized then that he was so drunk last night that he was in the wrong house! When he heard the two men walk into the kitchen, he snuck out of the house, taking his sneakers with him. The guest figured he'd have a difficult time explaining how he ended up in their house and probably freak them out in the meantime and get arrested for trespassing in the process.

Matt explained that he's lucky the homeowner didn't walk around the inside of the house at some point and find him in the den. It's a really good way to get shot in the face.

Matt talked with the reporting party again and explained the nearly-unbelievable series of events. They figured that they were both walking around the house at the same time, but had taken opposite routes. And the calling party forgot to lock the door when he came back inside and went to bed. Amazing.

Matt was pretty damn impressed with himself for figuring the whole thing out. I was, too, to be honest.

That guy will never forget that bachelor party.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
been a little while since a caught up on this thread....still 10/10.

Glad to hear your health is improving.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ha, that's a good one.
It reminds me of a similar story involving sleeping in the wrong bed.
In post college days my brother used to rent a beach house along the jersey Shore. These houses are always filled with tons of kids going in on the rent for the summer. He got loaded at a bar down there then went back to a friend's beach house afterwards. It was late and everyone was sleeping. He found an empty bed and passed out. In the middle of the night he got up to go to the bathroom but when he walked back down the hall he walked into someone else's bedroom and got into bed. The whole house woke up to a girl screaming when my brother got into that bed.

My brother told me he got pummeled by a house load of guys and had to fumble his way back to his house at 4am.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ha, that's a good one.
It reminds me of a similar story involving sleeping in the wrong bed.
In post college days my brother used to rent a beach house along the jersey Shore. These houses are always filled with tons of kids going in on the rent for the summer. He got loaded at a bar down there then went back to a friend's beach house afterwards. It was late and everyone was sleeping. He found an empty bed and passed out. In the middle of the night he got up to go to the bathroom but when he walked back down the hall he walked into someone else's bedroom and got into bed. The whole house woke up to a girl screaming when my brother got into that bed.

My brother told me he got pummeled by a house load of guys and had to fumble his way back to his house at 4am.

Did this really happen to you, Iggy?

Top Bottom