Watchung Reservation - Call to Action (10/20, 7pm)

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I just came back from 4 days of riding and helping with a NICA race in Virginia, hanging out with an army of volunteers who put on a magical event for over 300 middle and high school student athletes/adventurers. I spent off times riding amazing multi-use trails on federal, state, local and privately owned lands. I camped with like-minded nature lovers/outdoor enthusiasts. I spoke to hikers, equestrians, dog walkers, trail runners, parents, grandparents, couch potatoes and people from all walks of life. We all got along, or at the very least shared a mutual respect. We all recognized the value of the outdoor experience, and we were able to share some of those experiences with a large group of kids who were incredibly stoked to be outside.

Coming "home" to NJ this evening to the same old tired rhetoric was truly saddening. There are "sides" when it comes to enjoying outdoor experiences and preserving natural resources for our children and future generation's and planet's health, but they certainly aren't cyclist v. horse v. hike. If you find yourself on any side other than "us" (see above), that is a real bummer.

For the casual readers or anonymous folks out there: my name is Ken Seebeck and I am a nature lover who sometimes rides a mountain bike. It would be cool to meet you and discuss the outdoor experience. Feel free to hit me up: ken@jorba.org

huffster

If you find yourself on any side other than "us" (see above), that is a real bummer.
I am a nature lover who sometimes rides a mountain bike

Great post! I'm with "us" and I am a nature lover, too.

We teach our children to share. Hopefully, level headed adults with a common love of nature and this park, will be able to do the same.

qclabrat

I'm actually somewhat excited to attend tomorrow, I know KenS and others have been doing this for years
But the prospect of opening up the park legally makes me all warm and fuzzy...

3ffc7cc59c38a76eeb98def935bbf925.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love gatherings and don't want to miss what will probably be the social event of the season, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it tonight. Hope you guys get a good turn out and things go well.

rlb

The building is not obvious from the parking lot, gotta follow the sidewalk towards the right.

qclabrat

packed house today, good showing to represent, though there were some uptight hikers sitting next to me

no real news, except maybe by next Spring. It was brought up to have more mixed trail use and multi entry pts. 6 miles is a start, but that's even too short for me.

hopefully our voices will be heard and the county Freeholders will approve the plan and lift the bike ban ordinance in a few months

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Overall I thought it was pretty good. There were a couple angry old white guy hikers as aspected and one asshole trail runner. Was nice watching iggy get pissed off and yelling at him.

I think it speaks volumes that so many bikers showed up and quite a few non-bikers were supportive.

Top Bottom