Hi mtbNJ.com

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
As you may guess I don't like to take myself too seriously...part of the florentine traits right there! Actually, while born and raised in Florence, both my parents decided to move there from their actual birthplaces (my father is from Palermo in Sicily and my mother is from Perugia in Umbria). Add a spanish last name and a british wife to the equation and you can explain a lot! j/k, i'm a rather boring guy as a matter of fact.

The picture is of 'spaghetti alla chitarra' a specialty from another region in southern Italy which I happen to love (I mean the food, not the region) hence my tribute to it. I do like bucatini as well, they're just different...bucatini are round and hollow, spaghetti alla chitarra are square and solid. Both work well with meat sauce.

Where I really draw the line is on 'baloni' or meatballs, I never get tired to explain how they are an Americam-Italian specialty that never made it to Italy...

i was kinda worried one of the moderators assigned the avatar - occasionally they do that.
casual, likes to eat, broke the bloodline, boring...damn, let's ride!!
----
So i'm sitting in the restaurant a mile or so downstream from previously mentioned bridge, eating at an american hour - like 7:00 - only ones there (no surprise.)
the cameriere asked the usual question of 'british or american?'...we aren't the sit-down-and-order types, but apparently many americans are, and
menus show up, water, the usual. we put the menu down without opening it. he relaxed a bit.

anyway, we get our antipasto, and he looks at us and says 'good appetite' - i was a bit perplexed, because i had never really heard anyone use
the direct translation before. i know about 30 italian words not counting the food ones - certainly everyone knows buon appetito, (or bon appétit fr) -
think i answered "yes." - he did it again when they served the primo, and it hit me. i wished my wife a good appetite in Italiano - it didn't happen again ;)
---
i got into it a bit with a french waiter on the eurostar (train through the chunnel.) Admit it, i was being a bit american. i was excited when we broke 300kph!!
anyway, he thinks he's being cute and asked if i want ketchup for my salmon, so i asked for french toast so i could make a sandwich with a side of french fries.
i kinda feel bad my wife had to put up with my behavior.
---
in a gastronomia (i don't remember using this word, just looked it up) , i don't know my numbers - so i cant say 250g - and i wanted a wedge of cheese to go with some wine. I attempt the italian name of the cheese, and try to say 1/4 kg - i got the perplexed look. hand signal of 'this much' and that one - big smile, and boom. whatever i butchered must have been just beyond understandable.

serviceguy

Sorry for the late reply.

Are you sure you were a mile or so downstream of the Ponte Vecchio? Some dodgy areas down there...

Not sure if it's worth opening a thread in a more appropriate area of the forum, so I'll give it a try here.. last Sunday I went 'scouting' with my wife the Mills Reservation Park in Montclair / Cedar Grove...I can't believe I've lived almost 10 years this close (Clifton) and never been there! We had a great time and saw a small number of mtbs riding there, along with off the leash dogs and people casually walking just like we were doing. We thought it would be ideal for an easy bike ride together (I am all out of biking shape and my wife cycling resume only includes cycling along the canal back in England) on our newly acquired mtbs. Doing some research I read in here about the issues with biking and Essex County parks...I could not get any answer by people actually walking in the park at the time (my wife needed to speak to each and every dog owner on site), so I guessed asking the good people of MTBNJ.com could bring some facts...

It would be ideal for us, given the location I maybe able to even getting there without driving. Any light shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

thegock

WAITING 4 RICK MVIMG_20191103_085101-01.jpg

I got you two pictures for your birthday^^^^^little

and big\/ \/ \/

WAITING 4 RICK MVIMG_20191103_085101-01.jpg

serviceguy

Thank you all. You're hitting me from everywhere, hard to keep up.

Special mention to @thegock , I remember that day, you tried to take a picture of me while I was drowning after crashing in the creek at Wild Cat. I ride with a life saver since then. Much appreciated. Those two though...

Sorry @Norm if I did not wish you HBD in real time, it must have escaped me, I'm usually prompt to show reverence to the ones in power, so happy belated BD!

P.S. when I saw this thread popping out I thought 'who's the idiot that names a thread like this'...can't believe it's been 10 years!

Top Bottom