Mercer County Park Conditions

HERO DIRT ALERT
GET SOME

AC57CB67-83C5-4321-A25A-336CCDC18DDA_zpsczztlw7y.gif

I think riding over logs and log overs is a part of what mountain biking is about. The way some people are cutting things out of the trail why don't they just ride the paved path. There is places I ride were somethings are not easy for me to ride, but others have no problem and enjoy doing. Just the fact that it's hard for me to do I don't change the trail up just for me. I learn the skill to do it. I don't think it's that hard to respect that part of the trail other riders enjoy doing.

I don't believe it's necessarily the level of difficulty, but rather the disruption of flow and how a trail rides. If trees fall all over a trail, what is the reason to leave them there because how fun is that to ride? I agree that cutting things out of trails should not always be the answer. But trail builders should be designing trails with flow in mind (some will include logs in their definition of flow). There needs to be an in between. The Blue Trail is an excellent example of "what mountain biking is about" and how rad a trail can be with log overs and obstacles. However, not all trails need logs to be included in the definition of mountain biking. Ultimately, just because a tree has fallen, it doesn't mean that it should automatically be adapted as a new obstacle.

I don't believe it's necessarily the level of difficulty, but rather the disruption of flow and how a trail rides. If trees fall all over a trail, what is the reason to leave them there because how fun is that to ride? I agree that cutting things out of trails should not always be the answer. But trail builders should be designing trails with flow in mind (some will include logs in their definition of flow). There needs to be an in between. The Blue Trail is an excellent example of "what mountain biking is about" and how rad a trail can be with log overs and obstacles. However, not all trails need logs to be included in the definition of mountain biking. Ultimately, just because a tree has fallen, it doesn't mean that it should automatically be adapted as a new obstacle.
200.gif

Was looking for a hit the nail on the head gif but this one was more funny

ALSO... Keep in mind that these are multipurpose trails. Not everyone using the trail is riding a bike (unfortunately) or has the same skill level. When a log over is designed on a primary trail like red, SMART - TM team philosophy incorporates an alternate "go -around" at the same spot. I was out there yesterday and did some saw work to clean up the approaches. Additional work would need to be done to stabilize it completely.
I concur with Stevie.
In this case the trail was already there and a old tree came down. Nature redesign! But it doesn't have to stay that way.
Will see what happens next.

BTW Love that apple shot!

Tree down in Van Nest
Trail along the creek about 1/3 way between the dam and the Hughs Drive Parking lot, Closer to the dam.

Trail isn’t totally blocked but you have to dismount and roll - walk under it.
It won’t be long until it’s all the way down.
It's on the list for Oct 22 nd TM.

What's up with the shit work done by the lake with the log over that was some what chop and the other half rolled in the middle of the trail?

My wife & I were there on Tues 10/11 at around noonish and there was a guy who was riding a road bike there with an axe chopping it apart. He said he thought it "disturbed the flow" of the trail. I said that I liked it and there was no reason to remove it since there were several sufficient paths to go around it. He said it had to go. He acted as if he had authority to be doing what he was. I'm not from Jersey and I don't know any of the jorba group so I didn't know if he was authorized or not so I just kept going.
We were over there again yesterday and I was pretty disappointed with what I saw. I think he made the "flow " even worse.

I just saw another post on this subject and now know where the spot is. I am replacing my fence at home and haven't been out since last week. The regular SMART - TM crew does perform and can do Ad Hoc repairs - adjustments for safety or to keep trails open as necessary. However, before a major change or repair is made there is discussion first and then action is taken. Work of this nature is generally done during a scheduled TM session using professional tools. We don't leave a mess - EVER.
Other than a"Low" tree in Van Nest I am not aware of any repair issues....We have TM this Saturday and may address what needs to be done.

I just saw another post on this subject and now know where the spot is. I am replacing my fence at home and haven't been out since last week. The regular SMART - TM crew does perform and can do Ad Hoc repairs - adjustments for safety or to keep trails open as necessary. However, before a major change or repair is made there is discussion first and then action is taken. Work of this nature is generally done during a scheduled TM session using professional tools. We don't leave a mess - EVER.
Other than a"Low" tree in Van Nest I am not aware of any repair issues....We have TM this Saturday and may address what needs to be done.
Hey maybe @rocks&water is available to help!

Thank you for the invite but to tell you not interested in doing tm were trail features I like are being removed. They all were there for a very good bit of time with good go a rounds. Trail features give a trail it's way for what it's about. Some of the smaller trees that are cut for the reason someone can't get by with out hitting their bars. I do belong to JORBA and for sometime do a good bit of work at Ceres and Estell. Ceres is of the JORBA site but everyone there still keeps the trails safe for all of the users of the park. I'm about 5 mins from the park and ride it maybe once a week so I know the lay of the place and for how long what is what. Been by the park for 7 yrs the one log over been there before that, the one by the lake for about 4 yrs and after all the tm work days there taken out after that amount of time. Seems to me the trails are being groomed for a certain group of folks. I myself try to better my biking skills then ripping things out that other bikers enjoy doing, if I can't do them I use the go a round intill I have the skill to do it. I myself use the time to better my skills then taking out trail features.

Thank you for the invite but to tell you not interested in doing tm were trail features I like are being removed. They all were there for a very good bit of time with good go a rounds. Trail features give a trail it's way for what it's about. Some of the smaller trees that are cut for the reason someone can't get by with out hitting their bars. I do belong to JORBA and for sometime do a good bit of work at Ceres and Estell. Ceres is of the JORBA site but everyone there still keeps the trails safe for all of the users of the park. I'm about 5 mins from the park and ride it maybe once a week so I know the lay of the place and for how long what is what. Been by the park for 7 yrs the one log over been there before that, the one by the lake for about 4 yrs and after all the tm work days there taken out after that amount of time. Seems to me the trails are being groomed for a certain group of folks. I myself try to better my biking skills then ripping things out that other bikers enjoy doing, if I can't do them I use the go a round intill I have the skill to do it. I myself use the time to better my skills then taking out trail features.
I will reiterate. It is NOT the SMART/JORBA trail crew that is removing all of the logs. It's rogue work being done by people who feel they have the only opinion that matters ;)

I do understand what you are saying, but people on this post do know what is going on with what is being done. As of this time I'm staying out of it as of others I know feel the same. As of now your dealing with some people who just care about themselves, as from my past with JORBA that not what JORBA is all about which you are right of what you are saying. I feel bad for you as what these folks are doing and you have to address this. Bottom line on this matter is these people don't respect the trails and the people who maintain them.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions