Any experience w/ Focus Mares AX 105

bm1981

Since sold my tri bike last night and money burns holes in my pockets, I better go buy a cross bike ASAP and sign up for a race on no training.... seems logical right?

So I was looking at the Giant TCX but have heard mixed to negative reviews.

The Crux is out because it doesn't have rack mounts- I know but when not CXing I want to be able to take the little one around town.

I came across 2015 Focus Mares AX 105 11spd. I don't know much about them and haven't seen much online about their aluminum offerings. Tons of info about their carbon ones tho.

Looks to be a sweet bike and well built from what I have seen but wanted to see if anyone has any personal experience.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Register for every race in the NJ Cup (yeah local races!!!).
Do that first.
Ok, done?
Shit, now you need a bike.
Buy the Focus. Race the shit out of it, then spend the next 10 months either trying to upgrade or replace (hello pit bike!!!!) it.

disclaimer- I have no experience with the Focus brand.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I found a great deal on a 2014 or 2015 (whichever was the last year for quick releases) and see nothing wrong with the bike, I rather like it. The cable routing setup seems really odd but works really well and keeps things clean and easy to maintain. Mine is a Hydraulic Sram 10sp setup but 105 is a great group.

The frame doesn't really feel overly stiff for Cross, happy there. Fit is the most important thing. Mine feels great to me, make sure that frame feels great to you.

Jeremy Powers races Focus, so they have that going for them...

I can't comment on the rack mounts. Frame has them but I've also got two other bikes with racks. It has been my go-to bike if I'm just biking around as it's my most comfortable. Lighter/more fun than my touring bike, more comfortable geometry than my road bike.

qclabrat

I found a great deal on a 2014 or 2015 (whichever was the last year for quick releases) and see nothing wrong with the bike, I rather like it. The cable routing setup seems really odd but works really well and keeps things clean and easy to maintain. Mine is a Hydraulic Sram 10sp setup but 105 is a great group.

The frame doesn't really feel overly stiff for Cross, happy there. Fit is the most important thing. Mine feels great to me, make sure that frame feels great to you.

Jeremy Powers races Focus, so they have that going for them...

I can't comment on the rack mounts. Frame has them but I've also got two other bikes with racks. It has been my go-to bike if I'm just biking around as it's my most comfortable. Lighter/more fun than my touring bike, more comfortable geometry than my road bike.
don't buy the bike Steve mutilated his shoulder on, they're death traps.....

jumpa

I got a 2015. Don't race CX though, I use it for gravel/dirt paths, singletrack , and groceries.
For those things I really like it. RAT axel system is kick ass. Wasn't a fan of the stock trp Hy/Rd mechanical/hydraulic brakes. Swapped them to a shimano full hydraulic 11 speed set up. 100% better. Also worth noting the fork is a 1-1/8 to 1.25 taper if your trying to go aftermarket .

Riding it with wtb nano 40c right now so I know it fits at least that big of a tire.

30c in this pic.

20160802_180507.jpg

qclabrat

I got a 2015. Don't race CX though, I use it for gravel/dirt paths, singletrack , and groceries.
For those things I really like it. RAT axel system is kick ass. Wasn't a fan of the stock trp Hy/Rd mechanical/hydraulic brakes. Swapped them to a shimano full hydraulic 11 speed set up. 100% better. Also worth noting the fork is a 1-1/8 to 1.25 taper if your trying to go aftermarket .

Riding it with wtb nano 40c right now so I know it fits at least that big of a tire.

30c in this pic.

View attachment 41675
dude, match lite is for amateurs

bm1981

Well since I don't have the bike chops to talk smack.... match light? I've been all charcoal since 09 and never used boyscout water or match light. That taste just hangs around especuially in the smoker.

BTW thanks for the help...

But get a chimney starter and a camp stove heats faster than matchlight.

jumpa

Yup yup. If you got anymore questions about the focus feel free to PM about it.

This is now a thread about BBQ . Go!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
don't buy the bike Steve mutilated his shoulder on, they're death traps.....

I guess there is that. I've beaten the heck of out of the bike, tons of miles at Six Mile & Lewis Morris. Rail trails, cross last year, 4/5 of a race this year with a significant crash...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jumpa posted 100% what the best looking cross bike looks like.

It's arguable about the pink bar tape, but black or pink, best paint job ever...

FYI now that I think about it, those stock wheels are the heaviest pieces of shit. I do like the Racing Ralphs on them though.

bm1981

I picked up the bike yesterday took it for a quick ride around town and did the disc brake break in hard stops and then had to throw it up on the hook in the garage. Hopefully later today I'll be able to get out for a bit. I may try to head over to echo lake / Lenape and look for some trails and play on the grass. I got the bike in the team america paint job same as Jumpa's above.

Looking like i'll be making my CX debut on 10/15 @ cooper river. I'm going to try and get to at least one practice session before then. Also thinking about Maryt Cross on the 23rd

jumpa

I picked up the bike yesterday took it for a quick ride around town and did the disc brake break in hard stops and then had to throw it up on the hook in the garage. Hopefully later today I'll be able to get out for a bit. I may try to head over to echo lake / Lenape and look for some trails and play on the grass. I got the bike in the team america paint job same as Jumpa's above.

Looking like i'll be making my CX debut on 10/15 @ cooper river. I'm going to try and get to at least one practice session before then. Also thinking about Maryt Cross on the 23rd

T'wining!

Top Bottom