Mtb Vehicles

image.jpeg
That van is sold , I'm happy with the 4x4 version

My 4Runner is not long for this world.

Practical Woody is leaning towards a Sienna AWD. Tons of room for bikes, skis, homies, etc, and I don't really need the off-roadability of the 4runner.

View attachment 41001

AWD Sienna's come with no spare and runflat tires. They are stupid expensive and last for crap, like 20-25,000 a set. Just so you know.

+1 on the Sienna sucking.
Couldn't wait to get rid of that POS. Wife now has Honda Odyssey (no AWD option), will probably get a Pilot next.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

There were a few things, in addition to the run flats. The battery shit the bed several times, and each time the service guys (Morristown) dismissed it in an off handed way. At the time, our youngest was two or three, so he was starting those 2-3 days/week 3 hour preschool programs, so there was lots of drop off/pick up trips. The battery died several times after dropping off, then going to run errands or something. Maybe it was just the dealer. Just not a fan. There was something else, but I can't remember what it was.

Good to know, thanks for the heads-up.

In what way(s) did Sienna suck for you?

I've always been a Toyota guy, but @axcxnj now has me thinking about a Caravan...

before i got the caravan i was researching siennas and drove a few. I wanted it for the AWD for snow. Ended up reading a ton of horror stories about their sliding door mechanism breaking and got a bad taste in my mouth for them. They also depreciate less than the caravan..which is good if you buy them new, but shopping used means i was getting an older van for my money vs the caravan....also no stow and go.

4 snow tires on the caravan has not let me down on trips to CO, Canada, VT and lake placid during the winter and in the snow. Just use your head.

Snow capability is almost all in vehicle weight and tires. Keep it simple and go with FWD for a minivan. Less shit to break.

All I think about with the Sienna is my brother's automatic doors breaking twice and choosing +$1,000 to fix at the dealer. Luckily both times it broke with the doors closed not open.

Awd, first time it snowed couldn't get out of his driveway due to the traction control.

I used to have the Honda Fit and like @JimN mentioned, the bike fits inside the back well with the front wheel off. I had two of them and I loved it. Before that, I had a Honda Element and that is the ultimate MTB vehicle, but unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. So when my Fit got old, I purchased the HR-V, because it was billed as the "new Element" with the fold flat seats, but it didn't have the height of my element. My bike fit in, but not too well. Finally, I purchased the Honda CR-V and it is awesome! Good gas mileage and it has tons of cargo room in the back. I was able to fit three bikes in the back with the front wheels removed.

@mattybfat is too organized. I employ the huck and chuck method for my bike. The inside of the vehicle has tire tracks all over but eh I don't see it when I'm driving

14241065_338225259847903_1621087271_n.jpg
Easy way to travel. I utilize the same technique with my Honda Pilot but put my bike on top of a tarp and wrap a seatbelt around the seat post. Keeps the interior clean and ready for family duty after riding. Had luxury cars for years but not as practical as many "average" cars.

Revisiting this thread as I now have a Honda Fit. I haven’t put a baby hitch on it yet (too fucking cold)... I like the idea of the option of putting the bike in the vehicle for longer trips so I don’t loose all that gas mileage benefits I’m now going to get.

I tossed the HT in it yesterday.... it fit laying down front wheel off but not as well as I’d hoped. I’m guessing that (as you showed) fork mount on board wheel between the bucket seats is the best option for MTB’s.... maybe diagonal for road bikes? gonna have to play with it. Question is, how stable is the bike mounted the way you have it set up? Any thing I should be considering? Anything you’d do differently? School me Jim. :)

how stable is the bike mounted the way you have it set up?

Totally stable. I don't even have the 2x6 secured in any way, it's just cut to the right size and it stays in place.

Any thing I should be considering?

Every bike that I have has a different fork mount, but since I only ride the fatty, that doesn't really matter. If you have multiple bikes you ride regularly with different fork mounts, then I would suggest having a 2x6 with a mount for each bike that you can just swap out. Also, the inside of your car will get pretty dirty.

Anything you’d do differently?

Nope. Unless you want to keep the inside of your car clean, this is the perfect solution.

Back
Top Bottom