Anybody have recs for Lake Tahoe?

Tarroneus

On a family trip but should be able to sneak away for a 1/2 day as brother-in-law also bikes. I assumed Tahoe Rim Trail but am seeing mixed reviews...

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For a half day, I'd go with Flume Trail Bikes shuttle to Mt Rose. Then take the rim trail to the flume trail where you can do that (scenic) or continue on the rim trail (more tech). Then at Spooner lake (?) you can hit fireroad back or grab Mr Toad's wild ride or other ST.

Been a few times, and this section always gets ridden a few times.
Just check schedules, shuttles and trails may be alternate days.

And all this is from memory so double check.
Flume Trail Bikes also has a good fleet of rentals.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hm...I don't really know S. Lake trails well. Much more familiar with Donner/Truckee stuff. Mr. Toad was fun as I recall but it's been a lot of years since I rode it. Do what jmanic says--the views alone are worth it.

Tarroneus

For a half day, I'd go with Flume Trail Bikes shuttle to Mt Rose. Then take the rim trail to the flume trail where you can do that (scenic) or continue on the rim trail (more tech). Then at Spooner lake (?) you can hit fireroad back or grab Mr Toad's wild ride or other ST.

Been a few times, and this section always gets ridden a few times.
Just check schedules, shuttles and trails may be alternate days.

And all this is from memory so double check.
Flume Trail Bikes also has a good fleet of rentals.

Awesome thank you!

bucknejo

Reviving this one instead of starting something new...

Planning a Tahoe trip for Summer 2022 possibly in the Stateline area of Nevada, about 5 o'clock lake-wise I'd say. Any recommendations for trail riding on this side? I doubt I would do any big mountain / bike park stuff, just some xc / trail and possibly some shuttles if it was convenient and not death scary. Trailforks shows at least some ST in the area, but probably not as much as the north side / Truckee.

I'm also looking to demo out there so curious if anyone knows a good shop that would offer a decent bike selection, guided tours, etc. Any ideas?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Reviving this one instead of starting something new...

Planning a Tahoe trip for Summer 2022 possibly in the Stateline area of Nevada, about 5 o'clock lake-wise I'd say. Any recommendations for trail riding on this side? I doubt I would do any big mountain / bike park stuff, just some xc / trail and possibly some shuttles if it was convenient and not death scary. Trailforks shows at least some ST in the area, but probably not as much as the north side / Truckee.

I'm also looking to demo out there so curious if anyone knows a good shop that would offer a decent bike selection, guided tours, etc. Any ideas?
Stuff in this area was pretty solid:

It does get pretty sandy out there in the summer.

There's plenty of stuff in South Tahoe. Trailforks lines are super deceiving when you are out in the big mountains & big states because of scale. It can take 1-2-3hrs to do one line (trail). So the small number of trails does not equal lack of mileage or hours. Also it's impossible to breathe and you're climbing 2000-3000ft in one shot. Guarantee you will not cover everything.

If you are looking for a quick ride, this is a popular lot to start from: https://www.trailforks.com/poi/3939/. You basically climb up a mostly paved road and have several options to come down. Corral Trail (Lower) has a bunch of tabletops and berms. But super sandy in the summer.

213711801_139244451618988_4248168703955004836_n.jpg
212703190_292470962635889_306131923849961161_n.jpg
212390259_202782794972916_754444455645839797_n.jpg

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For one stop shopping, Flume Trail Bikes (about 12 o’clock lake wise) is pretty great off they’re still there.
Rent from the shop, then shuttle with them to Mt Rose.
Then Tahoe Rim Trail back to the shop, with options of the Flume Trail and Mr Toads Wild Ride.
I love this section. TRT (this section?) has bike access on alternate days.

Top Bottom