Fat bike? Fad? Yeah or nay?

EJphotos

Meanwhile, in Canada...
Meanwhile-In-Canada_o_116770.jpg

Johnny Utah

That's a stretch.... Half the team has fat bikes. Just because mtbnj as a race promoter is completely supportive of fatbikes as proven by having a fatbike class in the first place....doesn't mean I have to agree with everything.

Don't make this a MTBNJ vs. fatbike thing.
Seems like it is from my eyes. On this site Fat bikes are only acceptable in a fat bike class, but it has been proven that they can be just as fast as a 29er.

I gots to go on a boat.....maybe I will continue this later, but it is getting boring. Old argument.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Seems like it is from my eyes. On this site Fat bikes are only acceptable in a fat bike class, but it has been proven that they can be just as fast as a 29er.

I gots to go on a boat.....maybe I will continue this later, but it is getting boring. Old argument.
You goin fishings?

I way not be up to snuff with the rule book, but I'm pretty sure you can race your fat bike in any class.

You could also say that a cross bike is as fast as a 29er at Allaire, if you can stay out of sight of @Frank

Pearl should stay out of this, he's a North Cackalacky dude now.
Thankfully I don't see many of the fat bikes around this area, I guess because it doesn't snow and you are 3 hours from the beach they are useless?

True story. The only thing I don't like about the fatty is going fast on a rocky downhill.
Watch your back, you agreed with someone who doesn't ride a fat bike, they are going to reject you soon!

Frank

Sasquatch
You goin fishings?

I way not be up to snuff with the rule book, but I'm pretty sure you can race your fat bike in any class.

You could also say that a cross bike is as fast as a 29er at Allaire, if you can stay out of sight of @Frank

Thankfully I don't see many of the fat bikes around this area, I guess because it doesn't snow and you are 3 hours from the beach they are useless?

Watch your back, you agreed with someone who doesn't ride a fat bike, they are going to reject you soon!
I gots vacation time, I could find you sucka............ ;)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Sorry... I'm gonna keep it up. I'm not aware of any rule that says you cant race a fat bike in a cat 1,2 or 3 race.

I thought the fatbike class exists in the first place because fatbikes were tired of getting destroyed and they complained they wanted their own class. Maybe im wrong. But I know that if someone lined up in cat 1 h2h race, he would be allowed to race. Hell....he'd be encouraged.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
When I raced XC I'd race Open or whatever on the fat bike and take my beating like a man. IMO the fat bike class is dumb, just like the single-speed class.
Cat 1 Full Suspension 28-31 Ignitiors front/rear, weigh under 157, work 40 hours a week class

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I raced XC I'd race Open or whatever on the fat bike and take my beating like a man. IMO the fat bike class is dumb, just like the single-speed class. If you want to race XC do it on an XC bike or STFU.

I agree 100%

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
geared and skinny tired bikes are the only ones with limits....you can race a fat bike in any class you want. Cima raced his pugsly in 40-49 cat 1 as far back as 2011...he got his ass kicked...but he was basically two bikes at once weight wise so

The ONLY time were this was even a question was that first ST race we did last year when it was just packed snow...Turned out everyone with a fat bike raced the fat bike class....but I clearly stated, if you could navigate the course with a dirigible airship, horse and buggy, etc...we would allow it :)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Since @ReverendNewman's query was specific to Allaire and his only concern was going uphill on one..... The good Rev can rest assured Fatbikes can and do go uphill nicely. The Speed however, is up to the user.

The beauty of the n=n+1 formula is you never have to hammer square pegs into a round holes.

But hey, if that's your thing, go for it. :)

Johnny Utah

I have love for you all, but the op questioned fat bike at Allaire. I firmly believe it is the best bike for that park and the surrounding areas.

@pearl disagreed. That's fine. I am not sure he has ridden all it has to offer, but would love to show him. I do not see his name there on the strava roll call, Jshort eirher. I would love to show him as well.

Considering I have more miles this year at that park than many do in thier lifetime I feel my opinion is valid.

As for the strava part, my profile is public and i invite @jShort to poach.

I still think this site is bias against the fatties.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have love for you all, but the op questioned fat bike at Allaire. I firmly believe it is the best bike for that park and the surrounding areas.

I have never been to Allaire, but I hear that it's too sandy, so I would have to agree with you.

I still think this site is bias against the fatties.

Disregarding sand and snow riding, I think most mountain bikers have a bias against the fatties. So this is not surprising at all.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions