2016 July 31/31 Contest.. Who's In??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This was my last day of the month to be a roadie prick. Mile 3 and ping! Almost sounded like frame cracked so examined chainstays and seatstays nothing. Get back on and wobble wobble. Get off found the culprit, undid my rear brake and off to finish off my hour.
Now time to pack and head to some sunny weather. Fattys in tow to finish off this July with famous people.
https://www.strava.com/activities/657361758/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1469797937
image.jpeg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This was my last day of the month to be a roadie prick. Mile 3 and ping! Almost sounded like frame cracked so examined chainstays and seatstays nothing. Get back on and wobble wobble. Get off found the culprit, undid my rear brake and off to finish off my hour.
Now time to pack and head to some sunny weather. Fattys in tow to finish off this July with famous people.
https://www.strava.com/activities/657361758/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1469797937
View attachment 38396
No problem, I know a dude who works on wheels for beer.
I'll pm you his contact info.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
July 29

Woke up feeling really terrible today. IDK what it is or was, but I have never felt like this before. Anyway, just went out to punch my ticket today. Cruised the neighborhood.

1:12:18
https://www.strava.com/activities/657533017

July total: 70:41

Not sure if I will hit the 75 mark or not. We're going camping this week so I may just cruise on the bike everywhere I go.

Or I may sit in a lawn chair and get drunk all weekend. Maybe I'll give the GPS to one of the kids. If I end up with 108 hours on the month, you know which one I chose.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hope you feel better @Norm, we're all counting on you.

Lunch 101 and a beer run:
https://www.strava.com/activities/657781851

Rain washed out the morning commute, so I took liberty with my lunch hour, and played an adult version of Pokemon Go (find the craft beer).
image.jpg

So this will be my last CitiBike trip of this contest. It has been a good one. I think I have taken the subway maybe 3x this month. Don't miss it.
image.jpg

Happy Friday all!

Mic360

29/31

https://www.strava.com/activities/657789357
I was only going to do a hour today but decided to just keep pedaling a little longer. I really want a road bike now or gravel grinder (Is that what they call off road, road looking bikes?). I think I'm going to try to do a 100-mile ride around November. No little kids yelling at me today. just threw on some music and cruised around. Would have liked to get to 30 miles but I ran out of water. Two more days...

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
July 28 total = 1:12:21
July 29 total = 1:09:59

I know Puppy stories don’t really have anything to do with this challenge, but lately my biking life and puppy life have become so entwined I that I find it hard to separate them. So a short puppy story, which may actually have something to do with bikes.
So one day we take the Puppy and the doggie trailer to Shark River Park. We have found this is a nice place for Puppy-Bike adventures. We brought the doggie stick too so we could run the Puppy on the stick, then rest in the trailer. On one of the Stick sessions I was going puppy-pace (2.5 to 3.5mph) The Hubby said, “can we step up the pace just a little, I find it hard to go so slow.” I had to chuckle. Those of you who have ridden with us will appreciate why that was funny.

I will admit that the slow puppy pace rides have actually improved my balance and ability to maneuver over stuff without relying on speed to go over them. I have actually found myself enjoying the “challenge.” Plus when you have that cute puppy face next to ya…

During one ride I did step up the pace a little and The Hubby said it was pretty awesome watching her run next to me.

One day we took her to a dog park. Up to now she has run, but I don’t think she had really “opened up.” Well on this day there was an 8 month basenji in the park. We figured they would enjoy playing together. They sure did. But my Puppy sure did run. And she seemed to really enjoy it. When we decided it was time to go, The Hubby says to me, “I think she can outrun that other dog. She certainly had better running form, and looked like she had a lot more to give.” I laughed. Is this what they call Fatherly Pride?

I want to thank @1speed and @Norm for encouraging me to ride regardless of how I felt.
Because of our Dr appt, the Puppy missed her morning hike, so I felt like I needed to take her someplace extra special in the afternoon. And I still needed to get a bike ride in. So today I took bike, doggie stick, and the Puppy to Shark Park again. No trailer. We had a great time. Most of the ride was puppy-pace and on the stick (leash) but I did allow her off leash a couple times. I even allowed her some “free” time to see how she would behave. During one of those “free” times I encouraged her to run a bit. When she realized I was “giving her her head” she took off! When I caught up to her I checked my garmin and it said 12.7mph. I didn’t want her to over do it so I gave her the proper command and slowed down and she slowed right down with me. We stopped for a break and water and treats. After a bit she was ready to go again, but I kept her at a slow pace anyway. Don’t want to damage her baby body. But she sure loves to run. And The Hubby was right. Watching her run is really something. She behaved very well off leash too. I am happy at her progress for such a young age. She is still easily distracted, but she is improving in this area too.

By the way, my migraine and nausea is gone too. I did manage a few pictures this time. Sorry!
Taking photos while moving on a bike and watching a puppy was an ... interesting experience:
P1017409.JPG

P1017411.JPG

Break and treat time!
P1017413.JPG

thegock

July 29

Woke up feeling really terrible today. IDK what it is or was, but I have never felt like this before. Anyway, just went out to punch my ticket today. Cruised the neighborhood.

^Rule out Lyme disease.

Had it in 2003 and it was like getting hit by a truck. Puffy head feeling, extreme fatigue, mentally disfunctional. Luckily, my daughter noticed that I had Bell's Palsy at dinner ("Dad, there's something wrong with your face.")

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did I just ride hour fifteen submerged in bubbling hot springs because it sure felt like it. Patty and I were cruzing along when I whipped out the phone and saw 34 minutes. Mean while it felt like we were out for well over an hour. I noticed auto pause was on and wonder if my slow ass speed like climbing it would pause. Anywho felt like I needed to put in extra to get my hour.

7/30 1 hr 15 min
https://www.strava.com/activities/658621480/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1469894040
image.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
July 30

Out at Lackawanna SP this weekend. This morning went out early and did a loop around the whole place just piecing things together. When I was almost done I rounded a corner and the only 2 people I crossed paths with me came around the corner and I was greeting with "NORM!" Turns out the only person I know who lives out here was out riding this morning. I ended up seeing her a few hours later because we needed to go to the bike shop to get a tube for Julia's bike. Small world.

After that I tooled around a little with Julia & Simon before we hit the pool.

https://www.strava.com/activities/658862012
https://www.strava.com/activities/658861990

1:35:59 total between the rides

@thegock - I don't think it's Lymes. It lasted only the morning and everyone in the house has been sick on & off all week. Just something hit me bad yesterday early morning. Bad luck I guess.

July total: 72:17 (75 probably not realistic at this point)

There was actually smoke on the water this morning:

13879400_10209508290080119_4511209080028555507_n.jpg

Frank

Sasquatch
image.jpeg
30/31 Happy birthday Chris. Got a late start due to this inconvenient thing called work. Heard t-storms at work and though it was gonna be another soggy ride. So I go to Allaire because it wasn't raining YET, and saw the work the guys did for Schiiling at the kiosk, made me realize how lucky I am to be able to participate in this challenge. So it's 3:30ish and I figured I would get wet eventually so I just started to ride and "thought" about stuff. Half way through I realized it was not raining, there was sunshine, and a real nice cool breeze to boot. The only explanation is that Schilling was blowing out his 45 b-day candles up there and gave me more time to ride.....thanks Chris, miss ya bud.
https://www.strava.com/activities/658974066

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Best wishes to everyone riding tomorrow. You may need it :D It looks like 6-7am may be the window.

Lightning_hits_tree.jpg

I wonder if @Norm has checked into a hotel yet.

Just got home. Tent started leaking from top & bottom and we decided to pull the plug.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As I mentioned, I have been doing this but as of yesterday I had to tap out. I had started this streak on June 27 and was casually trying for the July 31/31. It was good and I even mad it through a mini family vacation in OCM from We'd-Fri and tortured myself riding the roads down there. A stomach virus was going through the family and my two daughters were miserable on the trip. My son started to feel bad on Friday and threw up a half hour into the three hour drive home, lovely. And then I threw up as soon as we got into Jersey, my son again 10 min from home and me again pulling into the driveway and in the front yard.

Hope for an hour ride late on Saturday was still there as I started to feel human again but I have ridden in the rain enough to know it is just harder than a normal ride so I figured it would just make me worse. So in any case, 49 hours and two days short of the 31/31.

Congrats to all the people who stuck with it, especially @mattybfat and @Norm for the sick amount of hours. Even know I ride 26-28 days out of every month, those two-four days must make a big difference in recovery.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
July 31

5 minutes into the ride the Garmin dies. This is the second time this month it has happened but this time it's not coming back on. This may be the end of the line for this thing. I ended up using the Strava app and taking 27 KOMs today...or not. Just rode Ted around on the road to round out the contest. Most of it was in the rain after unpacking the car in the rain from last night.

1:11:05
https://www.strava.com/activities/659697006

July: 73:28. A bit short of my stated goal of 75. I could go out later and ride 1:32, but why? All set at 73.5. Thanks to @jdog for the motivation.

Tomorrow I will not ride because I don't want to slide into a consecutive days streak again for no good reason. I can do that stuff when I retire in 50 years or however long it takes. I am going to try to roll this month into another good month in August.

Last year I gave my store credit to @Dominique to get her a bike fit. This year I am giving it to @mattybfat for sticking to it and knocking out 31 days. Well, this assumes he gets out there and rides today. I have faith he will make it.

Last year I won the hours competition and I suspect I may again this year since @jimvreeland won't claim it because he works at another shop. Similarly I will ceded the Gore prize to the next in line if I do turn out to be the winner of that. If someone else has more hours, then good work!

Ok, that's a wrap for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom