Tubeless Ready Rims

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you going to do the labor?
So the rims themselves are $90/each
Not sure about reusing the spokes and nipples, but even still for another $100-$150 you might be able to find a decent TR wheelset a model year or two old or oe take offs.

But before that, I'd consider trying to convert your current wheels. Google the wheel name and tubeless- see if anyone has had success with this, and if so what they used.

Karate Monkey

Aye, unless the ERD (effective rim diameter) of the rims match up, you can't re-use your old spokes/nipples. Beware, even if the posted info says they match...

As long as you are willing to lose a few free days, it's entirely possible to re-lace a wheel all by yourself with no prior experience. Doubly so, since you are moving the pattern from one rim to the other (just tape them side by side and go one spoke at a time).

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Aye, unless the ERD (effective rim diameter) of the rims match up, you can't re-use your old spokes/nipples. Beware, even if the posted info says they match...

As long as you are willing to lose a few free days, it's entirely possible to re-lace a wheel all by yourself with no prior experience. Doubly so, since you are moving the pattern from one rim to the other (just tape them side by side and go one spoke at a time).
Just gorilla tape your stock wheels, poke a hole n install stans valves n then u got tubeless ready

Mr.Moto

Just gorilla tape your stock wheels, poke a hole n install stans valves n then u got tubeless ready

Yeah, I would give it a try using that method or with Stan's tape which is relatively inexpensive.

The alternative of buying new rims and lacing it up to the current hubs will be costly. It is typically not recommended that you re-use spokes and they probably will not be the right length anyway. At that point, you might be better off finding a complete wheel set.

gtluke

The Moped
This may be a stupid question but, can I just buy new rims if I want to go tubeless?

I don't think my stock wheels (specialized pitch) are TR and I'd rather not buy a new wheelset for my spare bike. Can I just get TR rims and swap them for the current ones? Would obviously match holes/spokes etc.

Something like this? http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Rims/Spank-Oozy-TRAIL295-Bead-Bite-275-Rim

Seems a lot cheaper even with the labor cost

I'm about to list a set of 27.5 stans flow rims. Best tubless setup you can get. Through axle font and back but i think you can get adapters? I can check on that.
I was thinking $200.
20160728_093756.jpg

RickVaughn

It's a low end stock spesh wheel. Problem is they're figured with schrader valves. Haven't seen tubeless schrader valves

gtluke

The Moped
Yeah I've got qr front and rear. Think they make adapters though.
I bet you can find someone here to give them to you(adapters). My new stans wheels came with qr adapters that i don't need but they are for the new neo hubs, not the 330 hubs. Stans updated them this year.
So anyone that bought new stans rims in the last few years may have gotten adapters that they didn't use.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yup, probably need end caps for both front and rear, and probably an axle sleeve for the rear, but they'll have everything you need to make those flows work.
Stan's customer service is quick to respond. Tell the the hubs and what you need (qr front and rear and spacing) , they'll get you part numbers.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
C
It's a low end stock spesh wheel. Problem is they're figured with schrader valves. Haven't seen tubeless schrader valves
over the shraeder holes with the tape and poke a hole. Pretty sure the stans valve has big enough rubber seat to plug that hole with gorilla tape method and if not just drill a new presta size hole and cover the old hole with 2 small stripes of tape before the full tape wrap

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the info! May try converting my current wheels first
I have had good luck with the 1" gorilla tape in 28mm spec wheels, give it a go!

If it doesn't work, Luke's wheels are a good deal, and something you can carry over to the next bike.
(There's always a next one…)

RickVaughn

I have had good luck with the 1" gorilla tape in 28mm spec wheels, give it a go!

If it doesn't work, Luke's wheels are a good deal, and something you can carry over to the next bike.
(There's always a next one…)

lol the "next" one has already been here for some time. this is the first one!

Top Bottom