Wharton Conditions

teabagger11

given the current stat of weather for today and clear tomorrow, are the conditions good for a wharton ride saturday? planning on riding as early as possible sat. if anyone's interested and conditions are good

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
given the current stat of weather for today and clear tomorrow, are the conditions good for a wharton ride saturday? planning on riding as early as possible sat. if anyone's interested and conditions are good

There is currently about an inch+ of snow on the ground. The snow might/might-not melt today. There is a freeze tonight, w/ TWC forecasting thawing temps starting Saturday 9:00am.
If you notice the mtb singletrack trailtread is soft when riding, please ride the doubletrack instead. Thanks!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
...We were riding CW, first tree was about 1.3miles from the halfway point trail map sign, about 18" dia. The second was 2.5miles from that tree. Much bigger twin trunk, both are 24" dia. Encountered another tree down on the Red.
Rode to the halfway map today, working my way back on the NE corner of the PBT with axe, saw, and clippers. Clipped back faceslappers every time they made me curse out loud. Chopped, sawed the fallen trees that didn't add anything to the trail. And roughed out an alternate line 10' to the south of the twin trunk oak JDurk mentioned.
Was a great day for it.

teabagger11

conditions were fantastic yesterday, thanks for all the work you all do! picked up some blow downs along the way nothing major. stopped at the sign board halfway out enjoying the peacefulness of of what felt like being the only one out there, slowly i turned away from the sign and spotted a bald eagle not 20 yds away! he looked at me then took off, amazing just amazing

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Pay atention if you are riding Wharton during the next several months. The Forest Fire Service will intermittently be working alongside the Washington Trpk.
That work has the possibility to interrupt your ride, or give you a good smoking, on the first several miles of the east side of the loops.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
A quick reminder that there is a parking fee for the Batsto parking lot, Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend. $5 for NJ residents. $7 for non-residents. The parking fee is collected on the weekends, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Plus all the usual requests.
Please do not ride through Batsto Village.
Please do not ride on the hiking trails.
Please look both ways before riding across a sand road.
Thanks!

theranch

Also, I think it's cash only as well...and you have to stretch and hand your money out the passenger door.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Also, I think it's cash only as well...and you have to stretch and hand your money out the passenger door.

Because I am so accustomed to the *back-in parking only* policy at work (enforced by roving security and safety patrols with not much else to do but leave memos under your wipers), I usually back into the Batsto parking lot. When you back in, the Batsto parking attendent is on the driver side. :D

Last edited:

pibbles

Because I am so accustomed to the *back-in parking only* policy at work (enforced by roving security and safety patrols with not much else to do but leave memos under your wipers), I usually back into the Batsto parking lot. When you back in, the Batsto parking attendent is on the driver side. :D
I have a sunroof,so I just drive through and throw five dollars worth of change straight up in the air,no stopping,I'm in a hurry....

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Will conditions be good this week tick wise rode Bellplain Sunday and was covered with em sprayed up too

Yes. The ticks are loving the current conditions.
The past winter was mild, so there are many more of the little bloodsuckers out there now.

bobert1035

How do the Wharton trails handle rain? I'll be in the area this weekend for a wedding and hope to get some miles in, preferably on the mtb, but it looks like there might be some rain in the forecast.

Thanks!
Rob (Baltimore)

Last edited:

theranch

How do the Wharton trails handle rain? I'll be in the area this weekend for a wedding and hope to get some miles in, preferably on the mtb, but it looks like there might be some rain in the forecast.

Thanks!
Rob (Baltimore)
They handle the rain quite well! It might be a little bushy out there on the single track.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions