Bearscat '16

huffster

If you finish this race your are officially a Bad Mother Fucker

I ride Waway a lot. Usually ride somewhere between 12 and 15 miles when I do. I've done a few longer. Usually feel pretty used up after that. Anybody, and mean anybody, who rides 50 miles at Waway is a bad-ass in my book.

Disclaimer: I don't do this race (or any races for that matter). I am not a bad-ass.

Off The Road Again

I'm on the fence about signing up. I attempted it 3 times, but yet to finish the full two laps even tho I made the time cut-offs. 50 miles at Waway is definitely bad-ass.
The race is a little longer than 50. First lap starts with a 4 mile prologue to prevent previous bottlenecks at the rock stream crossing on Pumphouse. That's the easiest of the three rock crossings so it's a shame to have to walk it the first lap.
I run a 32t 1X, and from what I recall the two toughest climbs are Rattlesnake and Hoeferlin where a 28t would be nice (or a 1-up), but the 32 is good for most everything else. There are many other climbs on the course but they're shorter than the two mentioned.
It's definitely a challenging event, but it is fun in a sick sorta demented way.

jimf

The race is a little longer than 50. First lap starts with a 4 mile prologue to prevent previous bottlenecks at the rock stream crossing on Pumphouse. That's the easiest of the three rock crossings so it's a shame to have to walk it the first lap.

Three rock crossings? Nature jims and pumphouse, whats the third? Old coal? Right now there is no crossing there, seems like everytime they fix the rock/gravel bridge someone plows thru it with a big truck and makes a mess of it. First time they built it I thought it was the easiest of the crossings.

The prologue makes the first lap 28 miles and I believe brings the race total to 52 miles.

I'm on the fence about signing up. I attempted it 3 times, but yet to finish the full two laps even tho I made the time cut-offs. 50 miles at Waway is definitely bad-ass.

Did you run out of gas or have a bike issue? I would be concerned about the time cutoff at mile 38, that has to be the breaking point for a lot of people. I guess people who sign up for this type of thing are endurance types and most people drop out due to bike failure as opposed to bonking. Looking at the results I do not see any dnf's, would love to know how many there were

Off The Road Again

Three rock crossings? Nature jims and pumphouse, whats the third? Old coal? Right now there is no crossing there, seems like everytime they fix the rock/gravel bridge someone plows thru it with a big truck and makes a mess of it. First time they built it I thought it was the easiest of the crossings.

The prologue makes the first lap 28 miles and I believe brings the race total to 52 miles.

Did you run out of gas or have a bike issue? I would be concerned about the time cutoff at mile 38, that has to be the breaking point for a lot of people. I guess people who sign up for this type of thing are endurance types and most people drop out due to bike failure as opposed to bonking. Looking at the results I do not see any dnf's, would love to know how many there were
I think the third bridge is on Hemlock, tho a lot shorter. I might be thinking of another rock bridge altogether.

I ran out of gas all three times. First year I got to 38 mile checkpoint with 15 min to spare, 2nd time did first lap but I was taking time off from a weekend-long pool tournament to ride (got back to tourney and our team won to go to Vegas), last year was just spent after first 28-29 mile lap.

Mumonkan

weather is looking like it might be a total mud-pit

ruh-roh.

@Thin Diesel and other SSers, what kinda ratio would you push on this jawn? considering goign back to SS before my next bike comes to fruition

Thin Diesel

ruh-roh.

@Thin Diesel and other SSers, what kinda ratio would you push on this jawn? considering goign back to SS before my next bike comes to fruition

I did 32x20 last year and got gassed in 2nd lap. Finished, but walked more than I would have liked. This year I'm doing 32x22. Looking to ride more and walk less this time, conditions permitting.

Erock813

This a a awesome race, but tough. I did this once and finished well. Half the people didn't even go out for the 2nd lap and 3/4 barely made the cut off time. That day was brutally hot and humid.

liong71er

ruh-roh.

34 ×21
33 ×20
31×18
I have tried all those three combo
All were ok, until lap 2 and I have to walked all the climb, lol
This year will rocking 34×21

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Entered and finished it for the first time last year in 7:15. Conditions couldn't have been better. Had it been raining and muddy or super hot, the outcome may have been different. Good luck to all attempting the race. I hope you get great weather!

Zaskar

image.jpeg

Yikes!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
cant possibly be as bad at the spring cleaning race...nothing to worry about

Top Bottom