Is this an okay way to hang your bike?

EJphotos

So this is how I've been storing my bike:

20160527_212047.jpg

So, is this okay for the wheel? Wheel had to be adjusted this past week, and I'm just curious as to if this contributed to it. I'm thinking, if the wheels could support all 230 lbs of me, it could surely support just the bike, right? But

Karate Monkey

When you say 'adjusted', what do you mean?

I hang all of my bikes on the wall, one wheel in the hook, one on the wall, about a foot off the ground.

EJphotos

When you say 'adjusted', what do you mean?

I hang all of my bikes on the wall, one wheel in the hook, one on the wall, about a foot off the ground.

Sorry, spoke tension. It was creaking, @jdog adjusted the spokes because a couple were loose. So now it's got me thinking.

rlb

Same way mine are stored too. Spoke tension needs to be checked and adjusted periodically on pretty much all wheels.

SpartaBard

Don't most bike shops hang bikes like that in their shop? I think Halters does with the bikes near the window.

BiknBen

Yes. It is perfectly fine to hang your bike by one or both wheels. There is far less force applied during storage than what the wheels are subjected to while riding. Most shops are hanging bikes by the wheels all the time.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What we have learned from Seinfeld: If you hang your bike from its wheel it will magically change from a smooth TIG welded Aluminum frame to Steel lugged frame, and the chain, pedals, rear derailleur, cables & housing, and handlebars will eventually vaporize. Beware.

Top Bottom