Vintage bike forum??

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
20160522_104335.jpg

My 1991 Specialized Rockhopper Comp. Bought it before college...did my first mtb race on it at Iron Hill in Delaware, sometime around 1992 ,using toe clips and track shoes that had the plastic sole that you screwed spikes into.

While at school I detailed a Bike Line mechanics car and he gave me new Deore XT brake/shifters and derailleurs...also gave me my first shop stand.

That thing got me to.a lot of classes and parties:) Few years back I put on slicks just to ride w Mrs rottin' on paved trails etc.

I even still have the tab on top tube for my frame pump:)

Also, rear shifter/brake (all in one on this model) is broken....pawls on inside no longer engage/shift to easier gear....if anyone has a 7 speed deore shifter/brake laying around let me know:)

Karate Monkey

Sweet!!! Whats I gots to do? Bring it? Can I just leave it at Hartshorne for you when you do your beach/woods rides? ;)

copious amounts of degreaser/high-test alcohol to thin the crap in it, squirt some dry lubricant in when finished (you can even mix graphite/ptfe into the alcohol, shake well, and spray liberally). Almost never seen one that is actually broken, though they do exist...

mtbiker87

My Trek Mountain Track 820. Pulled it out of someone's garbage just north of Princeton a year or so back while passing through the area for work. Made quite a few improvements from how I found it. Replaced the drivetrain with older 9spd XT stuff, Swapped out the cranks for an old set of RaceFace forged, Replaced the Wienman rims with the Seven speed freewheel with a set of Ditchwitch's with LX hubs. Added a set of XT V-Brakes to replace the canti's, and used one of those threadless stem adapters so I could set use newer RaceFace DeusXC bars and stem that had been on my 29'er previously. The RockShox Jett fork was on it when I found it, but didn't come stock on this model to my knowledge. Gets used on a regular basis to pull my kid's trail-a-bike on rail trail excursions, and occasional road duty. and still gets the job done. Was a fun little project.

pkovo

Haha, that's awesome! I actually picked up that same Cuda for my sister-in-law about 2 years ago. Threw on some rockshox, lighter stem, and handlebar and she was good to go. Her friend mentioned getting in to biking with us and I just happened to see your Cuda, thought what are the chances that I'de find the same bike again lol. She still hasn't made up her mind about biking or not though haha.

I missed this post earlier, but if your sis' friend decides that she is into biking, and you have interest in this thing, feel free to PM me. They can be Team Barracuda, haha. I took it off craigslist mainly out of laziness. I was selling a motorcycle when I had the ad up, but the MC sold pretty quick and I just pulled this one down shortly after. I'm kind of indifferent about selling it.

A few months back there was actually a fair amount of NOS ones being sold on Ebay. All different models, with original boxes etc. Strange, but someone must have been hoarding a stash of them. A medium Dos Equis model was on craigslist several months back for $200. I had to really force myself not to buy it.

Chris Nordt

Here's a then and now shot of my best Xmas present ever. 1984 Redline 500a. Not sure any of my girls will ever really ride it, but I can't bring myself to part with it regardless.

I had one just like that as a kid!!! Then it was stolen from school in 4th grade :-(

Chris Nordt

I missed this post earlier, but if your sis' friend decides that she is into biking, and you have interest in this thing, feel free to PM me. They can be Team Barracuda, haha. I took it off craigslist mainly out of laziness. I was selling a motorcycle when I had the ad up, but the MC sold pretty quick and I just pulled this one down shortly after. I'm kind of indifferent about selling it.

A few months back there was actually a fair amount of NOS ones being sold on Ebay. All different models, with original boxes etc. Strange, but someone must have been hoarding a stash of them. A medium Dos Equis model was on craigslist several months back for $200. I had to really force myself not to buy it.

Yeah, these things are usually pretty rare. I'll talk to my sister-in-law's friend again and see if she is still interested, I'll let you know if she's ready ;-)

Dingo

My 1974 Raleigh Super Course. Bought it brand new at Larry's cycle & mower in Summit. Paid $168.00 that was a lot of grass cutting for a 9th grader. Sometime in the early 80's I swapped to the triple chainrings and "modern" cranks, the old stronglights were cottered. Wish I had kept them. Also the original Simplex plastic derailleurs are long gone. I rode a century on this with nothing more than sneakers, cut off jeans, Tshirt and water bottle. I still take it out for a short spin every 4th of July. The original brake pads don't stop for chit, the ride is surprisingly smooth, maybe it's the Reynolds steel tubing?
001.JPG

qclabrat

My 1974 Raleigh Super Course. Bought it brand new at Larry's cycle & mower in Summit. Paid $168.00 that was a lot of grass cutting for a 9th grader. Sometime in the early 80's I swapped to the triple chainrings and "modern" cranks, the old stronglights were cottered. Wish I had kept them. Also the original Simplex plastic derailleurs are long gone. I rode a century on this with nothing more than sneakers, cut off jeans, Tshirt and water bottle. I still take it out for a short spin every 4th of July. The original brake pads don't stop for chit, the ride is surprisingly smooth, maybe it's the Reynolds steel tubing?
View attachment 35842
nice Dingo, looks like you took good care of it. I got my first nice bike, a Peugeot P8 from Pro Tour in Westfield. No pics of it, I threw out the bike when I moved out from my parents house after I got married, regrets...

Dingo

nice Dingo, looks like you took good care of it. I got my first nice bike, a Peugeot P8 from Pro Tour in Westfield. No pics of it, I threw out the bike when I moved out from my parents house after I got married, regrets...
Thanks, Yeah I always took good care of it and still do even tho I don't ride it. guess they will bury me with it.

walter

Fourth Party
Dropped off my somewhat vintage Klein Attitude today to get finished up. Will post pics upon pick up

Supermoto

Beautiful bike, don't sell your vintage steel bike friends, you'll regret it for sure
I've got the same Scareb fork on an Ellsworth now. Wuz the frame built for front suspension?

Thanks, yep it was built for a suspension fork. Wojcik was really easy to deal with. I had met him years ago at a bike show up in MA when I was at school. He looked like an axe murderer..I knew right then I wanted a bike from him.
I have been thinking about getting another one from him, but built for a carbon fork. Also looking at independent fabrications. Too many choices

Top Bottom