Geo Tagged Photos.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This might be a good one - not necessarily for the admin team on mtbnj.com

i'd like to get a thread going for each park that people could add pictures, and it would show where they were in the park - could be useful for parking lot/trail head, bear dens, nudist colonies - the simple stuff like that.

Haven't looked into the topic at all - but there are some really good photos out there, and some interesting places in the parks.....

ideas?

rlb

I'm sure there's something out there to do this. Would need to get the XY from the metadata (if it doesn't get stripped on the upload) and throw it up against a map platform. I have a few ideas where to start looking, I can dig in a little bit.

Patrick

Staff member
One thing at a time!

i was trying to get Rob and some of the other (what do these civil engineering, data science, geominatti types call themselves?)
to jump in!

I'm sure there's something out there to do this. Would need to get the XY from the metadata (if it doesn't get stripped on the upload) and throw it up against a map platform. I have a few ideas where to start looking, I can dig in a little bit.

please do !
constraint: can't cost anything...

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Strava does this when you upload photos after the ride. Although sometimes they are way off.

rlb

i was trying to get Rob and some of the other (what do these civil engineering, data science, geominatti types call themselves?)
to jump in!

please do !
constraint: can't cost anything...

GIS Analyst, you just need to take 1 class in college and you're in the club.

Patrick

Staff member
GIS Analyst, you just need to take 1 class in college and you're in the club.

wrote the code - we just called it comp sci back in the day ;) :D
the only thing that we didn't have was the pretty pictures - which was taken care of by a couple of kids
a year ahead of me - they named the company mapinfo.....nerds. wealthy nerds.

rlb

wrote the code - we just called it comp sci back in the day ;) :D
the only thing that we didn't have was the pretty pictures - which was taken care of by a couple of kids
a year ahead of me - they named the company mapinfo.....nerds. wealthy nerds.

yeah, you definitely should have clung on to that one somehow!

Yes it was all command line back in the day (before my time), it's hard to imagine something graphic in command line. It's come a long way....

Patrick

Staff member
its on @rlb's plate.

maybe we should get a google key, and mess with it that way - polygons for the park, then point reference the pics.
i remember there was 'instamap' for instagram photos - and yes, strava would/does geolocate the pics on the map -
not sure how it decides who to show it to.

rlb

I briefly looked at this when it first came up but haven't had much time since. I'd imagine someone has worked this out using Google maps but I'm not finding it.

There's this, which is probably the best bet, but js (+ leaflet) is something I want to teach myself, not something I know yet. If someone else wants to run with it or is able to find a better solution that's fine with me. Otherwise, I can hack at this over time...

http://blog.thematicmapping.org/2014/08/showing-geotagged-photos-on-leaflet-map.html?m=1

Patrick

Staff member
I've done this before with a php file uploaded. Use exif_read_data() pull the data and toss in a database. Simple Google maps API front-end. Did this image clustering the further you zoom out on the map. Clustering reference https://developers.google.com/maps/articles/toomanymarkers#markerclusterer

is it possible to constrain the map and/or images to the polygons defining the park?

if this is going to be public, there would need to be an approve or flag process for the photos.

Are there places to pull in public photos, like using the goog's street view?

how do you see the submit process working? generic upload, and server side crunching? client side scripts?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just a side note. Instagram has been glommed by the Facebook so you have to tag a location. It changes the geotag on the pic to an existing location defined in Facebook.

So if you go to RV and upload to IG, the geo information seems to be changed to locate it at the park office. The ability to tag free-form in IG seems to be gone.

So if we pull pics from IG/FB the data may be inaccurate.

Top Bottom