Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
image-jpeg.34414
Those are some good lookin' dudes.
e0840de80db3216b61f0762b07f4366b002eae615662baf44db1c35daddccfff.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ha nice work you skinny bastard, your almost as light as me now..Which is still pretty heavy when your hanging out at a bike race...but just walk into a walmart now and you will look like kate moss :)..Its great to see your hard work paying off. Keep it up.

Johnny Utah

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Suicide:

As some of you may know, I became pretty envolved in Bike MS three years back when I created a team for my employer. Fast forward from my first six man team we are now 40+ and have become a top five fundraiser.

This year one of the senior officers at my office has made a challenge: he will beat me on his road bike for the 85 mile route. He has 20 years and 30 pounds on me but has finished an Iron Man and has complete the 85 mile route for the past three years.

My handicap in the event is I have to ride from home, which is about 15 miles to the start, run the 85 mile route and then ride home. Total For the day should be 150. My largest ride yet, exactly where I was last year at this time (which was 96 miles).

I will be doing this on @Mumonkan old surly I bought with a few changes. With 29x3.0 tires.

I switched the 32x18 single speed drive train to a 36 x 11/36 XT drivetrain with a Microshift 10 speed thumb shifter.

To my surprise and lack of research my thumb shifter was only available in a 22mm clamp rather than that of 31.8 on my Salsa Bars, so I got creative and made a suicide shifter since the money was already spent.

A quick test ride shows it is quirky, but better than the previous setup for the said application. I may be switching to a 44 tooth ring I have for the event.

Please help me hit $1k by donation to the link in my signature below.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can you please make a foot-long chrome skull head shifter for it and post pics? Thanks.

Mumonkan

i forgot to tell you, i have like 50ft of cheapo orange brake housing if you want it

theres no slick liner, but its orange. so theres that. if you wanted to be pro you could ebay some jagwire liner and pop it in there

Johnny Utah

i forgot to tell you, i have like 50ft of cheapo orange brake housing if you want it

theres no slick liner, but its orange. so theres that. if you wanted to be pro you could ebay some jagwire liner and pop it in there
I will take it if you don't want it. I had some white jagwire from a older build.

Johnny Utah

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

H2H #3 - Waywayanda Race Recap

I don't think I need to speak of the abysmal conditions, after driving for two hours I stepped out of the car convinced I would forget about the rain, but it was damn cold.

Anyways, always good to hang with @David Taylor who I did not catch up to at this race.

I did not pre-ride the course as I have been playing landscaper on the weekends so I went in blind.

The start was fast, I pushed a big sprint into the turn which was probably a bad idea, it is not like I was going to take the pull all the way to the woods. So once the turn hit I was screwed, four fatties past me.

Then we enter the woods, I never rode way-way before, but I know rocks like this from being at Mtn. Creek. Once we hit the rocks I passed two of the other fatties and did not see them again.

Now I caught up to @jimmy g , I knew the game I played with Jimmy from the first race, I didn't want him to catch me on another road, so I tried to stay on his tail until I wanted to make a move. But it never came, the fat bike gods took out his rear wheel again as he flatted.

Now I was in 2nd (2 miles in). I never ran into first, never even saw him after the road. Beast.

2nd place finish, I am not complaining.

Other Happenings:
I was going to leave this out (and have for five months), but I guess it is good info for others looking to begin racing/improving. Over the past few months I have been having some weird chest pains. A quick visit from the doc this weeks shows everything is pretty normal, but we are waiting on x-ray results. We think it is a mix of strain from intervals as well as stress on my chest from riding the rigid bike all the time. Still, scary.

Gravity:
I am missing it.

Sh!tbike:
Enjoy Pete!

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Real talk. I go through this same BS with the trials bike. Build it, and just keep it in the corner somewhere. In the last 10 years I've owned like 12 trials bikes. I'm like SICK TRAILS!! Then I go out and ride and I'm like FUCK TRIALS I'M SELLING THIS!! And then like 2 weeks later I'm like WHY DID I SELL MY TRIALS BIKE!!?? A month gathering parts from around the globe and I'm like SICK TRIALS!! Then I pull my back and the whole process repeats. The only way to stop it is to just keep the bike. It's way cheaper in the long run.

Top Bottom