Assembling a bike without dying

Buy one of those starter tool kits from either pedros or park and then piece meal the rest. The t-handle allen keys are a must.

all you really need is some metric allens, a chain tool and a pair of good quality snips. the only reason i bought the weird stuff like bb and cassette tools and chainwhips is cuz i service a bunch of bikes.

if youre just putting one bike together go to your LBS and annoy someone like jim to wrench on things with specific tools you dont have

just look at a multitool, you can pretty much put together your whole bike with what that pocket size tool has on it

Just looking over the tool list....
I've got a few more really good to have things for maint./assembly .

Bike stand
Quality vice w/nylon insert
Chain whip
Chain break
Valve core remover
Dead blow or rubber mallet
Spoke wrench
Quality grease
2 old wheel spokes:
One sharpened, to be used to open up cable housing and one bent at both ends to hold the chain under tension when fiddling around with the chain length. :)

just look at a multitool, you can pretty much put together your whole bike with what that pocket size tool has on it

This is the bulk of my "tool kit" (one of the skinny allen wrenchs is bent)

IB2Park.JPG

youre 80% there, score a park ct-5 and whatever the flush cutters are called, some grease and youre ready to rock

these tools arent one time use either, youll re-use these a lot changing cables and chains periodically

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! I have not bought a complete bike in like 12 years.

I find it fun and rewarding to build my own bikes. After a couple of builds you will learn that, if you shop around and wait for good deals, you can build a bike with better components for less than kits offered by manufacturers.

Buy Park tools and you will be all set.

I'm now buying proprietary Ducati tools for a back up Engine rebuild.

IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG

Last edited:
awesome! i had a 08 monster 695 and i loved that damn thing, if it werent for an unfortunate series of events leading to me in dire need of a few thousand dollars id still have it. love the L twin motors and the exhaust note is like nothing else!

it was fun pulling up to a light and some micropeen in a lambo would rev and look at me, chuckle and say "nice bike" like an italian motor had to be a huge ugly supercar. then proceed blow his doors off when the light turned

ah, good times.

Hey let's keep this to non-powered bikes - unless someone wants to talk about rebuilding (assemblying?) a muscle car :D

Hey let's keep this to non-powered bikes - unless someone wants to talk about rebuilding (assemblying?) a muscle car :D

Sorry, now go find a frame to build up. :)

Although I have started a build by buying a fork that I got a great deal on. Buy a fork first and then get a Full Suspension Frame to complement it.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom