Johnny Utahs Bike Change Operation

Speed, Crowns, and Training forgotten

So when the dust of Sunday cleared, I awoke to a sore Monday. My right hand was vaguely numb as was my left foot. Dehydration was an easy way to put it and my wife asked if I would be available next Sunday for Valentines Day or if I was going to cut dinner short for sleep as I did the night before. For the third time in five years I was calling out of work. After a morning of running around including sending my race wheels back to HED for a rebuild it was time for a recovery ride.

This recovery ride was the first one aboard the Nomad, and my first ride on my local trails with suspension and/or flats in over a year (actually any trails out of a DH park)

At first I had a great thought of what have I done? The instant pickup of the hardtail, attack geometry and overall prowess to go segment hunting was hitting me, but it wasn't going to happen on this ride, as by the time I had climbed the Blind Trail I had expended the amount of energy I would have used 2-3 miles in. But suspension, oh suspension.

As my ride continued I assessed the previous day as well as the solitude and quiet of Allaire on this Monday afternoon. It's hard to ride through the park and not think of others no longer with us, as their monuments interrupt the natural landscape from time to time, others without monuments just generate thought.

Frustration of the geometry and suspension push turned to childhood joy as I begun to remember what brought me into this sport. There would be no records today, no jamming corners. It was an hour or so ride to test the waters and collect thoughts.

My hour ride for the base race had begun to go over, I had started to lose track as I stopped to talk to two locals who I have not talked to in some time (as well as one of my favorite dogs around the park, Misty).

As day turned to dusk I found myself at the end of the airplane field, wanting to take a picture, but my phone was frozen. I think this is the first time I have stopped to take in the scenery at the park in well over a year. Quiet surrounded, and it was wonderful.

Just a trail ride.

image.jpg

Goals:
Weighed in at 188.5lbs this AM, that is the lightest I have been in five years.

Nomad:
Rode with @Flaubert yesterday at Hartshorne and can't believe how well this bike climbs for what it is. Granted there is some flip flop with the 65 degree head angle, and you better know where to put your body on the steeper climbs, but unreal. Very impressed.

Goals:

Nomad:
Rode with @Flaubert yesterday at Hartshorne and can't believe how well this bike climbs for what it is. Granted there is some flip flop with the 65 degree head angle, and you better know where to put your body on the steeper climbs, but unreal. Very impressed.

I don't know which makes me smile more, the awesome job on the weight loss or how tickled you are with the Nomad. Oh, let's not forget playing in Rob's back yard.

Oh snap, that don't sound right.
:rolleyes:;):p

Misty would be a badass trail dog...I think if you don't know who she is.... you should find out!

I see a woman all the time walking a huge what looks to be a black and white boxer mix.. what an awesome dog.. I bet he/she is a sweetheart.. I had a boxer years ago and what a mush.. he looked the part of a tough guy.. but was a mush.. anyway that is one dog I see there all the time that really stands out.

I did a ride at night in the middle of winter when it was in the teens, it was miserable. I questioned myself the whole second half of the ride on. Didn't even talk to the homies while I was riding because I was freezing.

I see a woman all the time walking a huge what looks to be a black and white boxer mix.. what an awesome dog.. I bet he/she is a sweetheart.. I had a boxer years ago and what a mush.. he looked the part of a tough guy.. but was a mush.. anyway that is one dog I see there all the time that really stands out.
That is a pittie.... what a giant goof ball I run into her all the time along with the dude and the boxers...

I did a ride at night in the middle of winter when it was in the teens, it was miserable. I questioned myself the whole second half of the ride on. Didn't even talk to the homies while I was riding because I was freezing.
Obie One Vreeland Canobie has taught me the way of the cold ride.

Goals:

Nomad:
image.jpeg

The way of the cold is to ignore the desire to stay warm but this guy looks warm to me!

@Flaubert failed to post the bike in all its' colorful glory.

fixed it ;) its tough taking pics when its sub 20 out and you don't want to chance taking a glove off. at that temp it also plays with your imagination, thought some hipster pics with casting shadows were going to look cool and it did at the moment but lol on the inna-nets it wont look cool. thanks innanet!
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom