Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Kaleidopete

Mostly good at the park today, some wetness after yesterdays downpour. Wingdam trail has a big blow down on it and you can't get to Sitting Bear, UNLESS, you take the unmarked trail just to the right at the start of Wingdam, unofficially known as Little Bear trail, which brings you out just before the dam near Sitting Bear. The park is aware of the problem and will fix it shortly.

Kaleidopete

I rode around the lake today, 5.66 miles of tough ass single track! The reason it's called Pumphouse trail is because in the late 70's or early 80's there was a drought in Newark and they built this pipeline to bring water to the reservoirs from Wawayanda lake. They never used it again after that one year.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-6_18-3-44.png
    upload_2015-11-6_18-3-44.png
    949 bytes · Views: 97

chris12453

I just rode through there. Blow down is cleared now. Everything is good from Hoferlin, Iron pit, Pump House, Sitting Bear, South End, Timber and Twin Bridges.

Good little ride today.

Kaleidopete

I just rode through there. Blow down is cleared now. Everything is good from Hoferlin, Iron pit, Pump House, Sitting Bear, South End, Timber and Twin Bridges.

Good little ride today.
Nice! It wasn't clear yesterday at 8 AM. Glad to hear it!
Just a question, do you ride all of Pumphouse, South End, Sitting Bear?
I can't, I do some walking, for me these trails are tough!
Yesterdays heart rate average for 100 minuets was 158 bpm, for me that's high.
With a maximum heart rate of 179 bpm.

Last edited:

chris12453

Yeah, I ride them all. Every once in a while I will get myself in an awkward pedal stroke and mess up the more tech sections and have to walk for a second, but I try to get the strokes correct before I enter.

greeek32

Nice! It wasn't clear yesterday at 8 AM. Glad to hear it!
Just a question, do you ride all of Pumphouse, South End, Sitting Bear?
I can't, I do some walking, for me these trails are tough!
Yesterdays heart rate average for 100 minuets was 158 bpm, for me that's high.
With a maximum heart rate of 179 bpm.

most of the areas that are tough on those trails are not too bad if you hop off and scout a good line one time. then the next time hit your picked line with more speed then you think is reasonable and you'll cruse right through. a lot of the toughness lies in pedal claps and stopped wheels, speed helps you avoid those.

Kaleidopete

Put my studded tires on the Farley today and took a test ride at wayway. The bike rides great, feels like a bulldozer. Not built for speed.
The trails are a mix of slightly muddy and frozen and icy. The ice I don't like is when you break through and it's 6 or 7 inches deep and the front tire doesn't know what to do. Started out with 8.5 psi in the basement and finished the ride with 7 psi. and holding.

Here is a rare photo of me, as I always ride alone, but there was this guy diggin' my bike, so I put him to work as my photographer.

Kaleidopete

Got an 8+ mile ride in at Wayway today. Iron Mt., Wingdam to Sitting Bear, Laurel Trail, Old Wayway Rd. The ride was rough in places with snow mobile ruts etc. Hard to hold a line, and ice too. Great fun though. The best was just riding virgin snow around the fields and small hills. It's really cool with my Vee 2XL Snowshoe tire at 1 or 2 psi. breaking new snow.

Kaleidopete

Went for a nice short Wawayanda ride. I rode the Little Bear trail, nice all snow. Then went to Sitting Bear trail, it too was perfect snow. I rode down to the furnace and then back up to the boat launch and beach. I met another Fat Biker, Mike, at the beach and had a nice yak. Then I rode back through the snow banks along the roadside and up into the open fields.

Mike

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
^nice! Hoping the lake refreezes with the cold snap a'coming. Maybe it'll snow a bit more too and stick around.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Went for a nice short Wawayanda ride. I rode the Little Bear trail, nice all snow. Then went to Sitting Bear trail, it too was perfect snow. I rode down to the furnace and then back up to the boat launch and beach. I met another Fat Biker, Mike, at the beach and had a nice yak. Then I rode back through the snow banks along the roadside and up into the open fields.

Mike

I saw Mike on the beach when I swung back into the lot to meet a few of the people I was riding with but then lost him. When I checked my strava flyby I saw that I also missed you by minutes Pete! Bummer. The trails were so awesome Tuesday, really made me long for more trips up north.

Kaleidopete

I saw Mike on the beach when I swung back into the lot to meet a few of the people I was riding with but then lost him. When I checked my strava flyby I saw that I also missed you by minutes Pete! Bummer. The trails were so awesome Tuesday, really made me long for more trips up north.
You had a nice run there! I checked it out on Strava. @Hufster was there too, we met for the first time. It's a BIG park to bump into people you know!

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
You had a nice run there! I checked it out on Strava. @Hufster was there too, we met for the first time. It's a BIG park to bump into people you know!

I will have to hit you, huffster and Jim up for tours in the coming months. That place is so much different and better than my early days riding it. Also so much more tech compared to my normal SJ / Philly rides. Love it.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions