STOP! lets talk about brakes

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Lol, no more high end boutique builds for me, I did it once (ok, maybe more than once) before and that bike turned out to be the biggest hunk of shit I've ever owned. From now on, buy bike from store, replace what breaks.
Please dont tell me Salsa was high end boutique.

Mountain Bike Mike

Please dont tell me Salsa was high end boutique.

E14CAC5C-5D65-4B9C-8270-CAF2D3FBF75B_zpsefifswbk.gif

Salsa
Salsa may refer to:

• Salsa (sauce), any of various sauces of Spanish, Italian or Latin American origin, from the Spanish or Italian word for sauce
  • Salsa music, a fusion of Cuban and Puerto Rican musical styles based on the Cuban son and Latin Jazz
  • Salsa (dance), the dance forms corresponding to salsa music

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa

w_b

I recently picked up Hayes Prime to replace the crappy Avid Elixir ne'er-do-stops some shop put on my rig. They did not come with rotors, which was OK because my existing rotors (which I do not believe were Avids) worked just fine.

On a related note, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning Hayes here and wondered why. Does nobody run/like them? Granted the HFX was a poor attempt at "cost reduction without performance/reliability degradation," but other than those and the Avid I have been running them almost exclusively for almost 20yrs, minimal problems. The Primes were load and lock (load and modulate, really) too.

SSmtbr

I recently picked up Hayes Prime to replace the crappy Avid Elixir ne'er-do-stops some shop put on my rig. They did not come with rotors, which was OK because my existing rotors (which I do not believe were Avids) worked just fine.

On a related note, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning Hayes here and wondered why. Does nobody run/like them? Granted the HFX was a poor attempt at "cost reduction without performance/reliability degradation," but other than those and the Avid I have been running them almost exclusively for almost 20yrs, minimal problems. The Primes were load and lock (load and modulate, really) too.

I'm running Hayes Stroker Grams now purchased from a blow-out sale last summer (replaced the weaker Shimano M445 my bike came with) and overall I'm happy with them. For me they are a bit touchy to set up perfectly to eliminate rubbing, but once they're set up they stop great and have a good amount of modulation. Bleeding was a pain using the Hayes recommended method but I bought a huge syringe and just push the DOT fluid up from the caliper to the lever and now it's super easy and quick to bleed.

With all of that said, everyone I ride with uses SLX or XT brakes because of their Shimano brand allegiance. Can be had for less than or equal to what I paid for the Grams, easy to setup, modulation, and power are all there. Plus if something goes wrong or you just don't want to deal with the hassle of bleeding them, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a shop nearby that can handle it. When my lever felt squishy and needed a bleed while I was riding out of state on vacation I took them to two different shops and both times they came out just as squishy until I took the time to bleed them myself. I'll run them until my wrecklessness trashes the carbon levers/body and then probably will look into Shimanos.

Top Bottom