Wildcat: Crowd Sourced Trail Maintenance

dmkalemba

Wildcat Ridge Trail (yellow) from dam under the power lines has been trimmed. ...easier said then done....now.....should the switchback into the valley be completed or do you prefer the straight eroded hillside?
Thanks for the work! Not sure if you question is rhetorical, or not, or which eroded hillside you refer to... but there are definitely a couple of eroded hillsides there that I'd love to see switch-backed (mainly so i could make it up them :oops::( )... If timing lines up, I'm in for helping out!

GSS

Nice job on the yellow trail. The straight eroded hillside works but I would like to help finish the switchback you started. TM scheduled ??

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
On the Wildcat Ridge Trail (yellow) the end near the dam, under the power lines.
Climbing from the dam (road) is not bad at all, and that is the section I trimmed. The backside however, into the valley is rather steep and eroded.
I started to put in a switchback but never finished it. The motorcycles are bad this year, and tearing that hill up, making the climb even harder.
So, if we could put in a flowy switchback as a reroute. It would probably require closing off the fall line, so just trying to get some consensus.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Beach Glen Trail, at the east end, we got someone putting sticks and logs in the trail. I removed them yesterday, but they will likely return. So keep your speed in check on the approach down to Meridan Rd. While removing the sticks, trimmed back many branches so that should be good through the winter.

Also removed downfall from the Meridan Trail (red).

I

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Only eight sticks for me to remove on the Beach Glen Trail yesterday. Last week there were a lot more, but I was in a time crunch so I had just removed the dangerous looking ones. Thanks for getting all the rest @trailhead!

notcho

Closed off some widening of the Blue Beach Glen, first leg of the switchbacks going up. Also on the Orange Hibernia Brook, going down into switchbacks sharp right turn that goes right of tree up some rocks was bypassed on the left...boo! Cleared a tree on the Orange up to the hawkwatch.

GSS

Nice work on the switchbacks and will not miss the tight squeeze from the tree that was across Orange. Thanks for your time and effort.

notcho

No doubt, Greg. Nice work yourself. Cleared a downed tree off righter mine with help from some freinds. Someone continues to make a reroute left of the tree on the first tight right turn on Hibernia brook (orange) going down. Didn't have a chance to close it off but if anyone is up there please try to close this off. Amazing switchback work on yellow coming off the powelines!!! Thanks Norm!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No doubt, Greg. Nice work yourself. Cleared a downed tree off righter mine with help from some freinds. Someone continues to make a reroute left of the tree on the first tight right turn on Hibernia brook (orange) going down. Didn't have a chance to close it off but if anyone is up there please try to close this off. Amazing switchback work on yellow coming off the powelines!!! Thanks Norm!

LOL, I had no idea what your mtbnj screen name was.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Wildcat Ridge WMA Trail Maintenance - Saturday 2/20/16 8am

I would like to fix a bridge that is out and stop some flooding on the railroad grade but could use some help.
This Saturday, meeting at 9AM under the power lines on Upper Hibernia Road, Rockaway NJ.
Park here:
40.966580, -74.475400

Work is here:
40.975168, -74.474041

This will likely be some wet and muddy work, so wear appropriate shoes and clothing....gloves provided.

RSVP
wildcat@jorba.org

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can probably make it, at least for 2-3 hours. I'll let you know for sure on Friday.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions