Building Cross bike using mtb parts?

Supermoto

I was thinking of re-purposing an old 29er mtb and using the parts on a new CX frame (Turner Cyclosys). The cx frame is 12x142 and 15x100 front, so my wheels would fit. The rims are 29" 27mm width. Am I correct in assuming I could put a 33-43mm 700c tire on these?

I would use the sram 11-36 cassette with a x9 rear derailleur, I have read that the sram road shifters will work with the mtb drivertrain. .

I was thinking of using the mtb's raceface cranks in 1x with a 38 tooth, going to probably be geared a little low, but the bike will see little road time.

So that would leave me with just getting bars, shifters and seat post.

Any thoughts on doing this? Anyone done the same?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds pretty standard. I like that cx bikes are going to thru axle front and rear for just this reason. Yes on 29er wheels with cx rubber. Some top pros have been racing on Valor 29er wheels tubeless with good results. Go with the widest tires you can fit in the frame unless you are racing.
Yes on SRAM rear derailleur for cx bike with SRAM road shifters.
38t will be ok for trails but as you know you'll spin out on the road. Race face wide-narrow I assume? Otherwise you'll need some kind of chain keeper. Not sure about chainlike with mtb cranks doe. Probably fine.

That turner frame looks pretty sweet

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I run a Sram MTB 1x drivetrain with road shifters on my commuter bike. It works but the road shifters are just out of sync with the RD. With 10 speed anyway, 11 is like butter.

Supermoto

So 10spd its no go, but 11spd it works. 11spd would mean a new hub and cassette, so that's a no go. maybe a Shimano 105 groupset is the best way to go here.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
It works but the road shifters are just out of sync with the RD.
Interesting you say that, I never had the 11t all year for CX. It shifted fine though. Sram Rival, X9 Type 2 RD.

Some top pros have been racing on Valor 29er wheels tubeless with good results.
Is the setup of the Valors that much different than the Crests? I read everything about the Valors being great, is this because the design is different or they finally just have tires for this?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So 10spd its no go, but 11spd it works. 11spd would mean a new hub and cassette, so that's a no go. maybe a Shimano 105 groupset is the best way to go here.
It works, just not as clean as using all mtn or all road.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is the setup of the Valors that much different than the Crests? I read everything about the Valors being great, is this because the design is different or they finally just have tires for this?

Not sure. Let's Borrow @UtahJoe's Valors and find out! Not sure how the rim profiles are different but my understanding is there have been minor improvements AND tires have gotten more compatible. Dan T. speaks highly of the setup. Of course he rides for the notubes team but a guy who lives off the grid in a yurt seem an unlikely shill.

Top Bottom