Guns

Johnny Utah

I shot competitvely since I was kid up until college. I was a pretty good shot back in the day. Made it to to high Sharpshooter rank (just before Distinguished Rifleman) as a junior with the CMP (DCM) before I lost interest. My father is a licensed dealer and instructor. He also could be considered a "gun nut" with the size of his collection. I have been around guns most of my life.

I don't have a gun in the house because of kids. If you have a gun in your house and it is "at the ready" and you have kids or kids visit your house, trust me, they can get to it. I know that because I did. I figured my way into the Fort Knox of gun cases as a pre-teen. If you have kids and guns, and your kids haven't been subjected to hours of Eddie Eagle, there is a chance something tragic can happen. Lock them up. Then lock them up again.

I now have a crossbow in the house. I use it mainly for groundhog control and I hit targets in the backyard when I am really bored. There is no way my kids are cocking that thing and if it ever is used for personal protection, it won't go through multiple walls like a bullet.

I am hunter, and like I target shooting, but a fun day is a day shooting sporting clays. A golf course of different situations shooting at clay birds is a good time. If you have shot skeet, but not sporting clays, give it a try.

Sporting clays is where it is at, probably one of my favorite things to do outside or riding/wheeling.

Supermoto

Sporting clays is where it is at, probably one of my favorite things to do outside or riding/wheeling.

Sporting clays is awesome, where do you guys shoot? I have either been going to PA or NY. The wife and I usually make a day of it, go shooting then find a nice rib joint after

Johnny Utah

Sporting clays is awesome, where do you guys shoot? I have either been going to PA or NY. The wife and I usually make a day of it, go shooting then find a nice rib joint after
I've been to Redwing Sporting clays a few times by the Mullica River. I know Central Jersey has them as well.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am thankful since it's the season to own guns.

Also thankful that I have tought everyone in my family how to shoot said guns. This way I know someone has got my back.

Everyone except my youngest owns a gun in my house. I prefer to be on the right side of a barrel.

If you teach proper use and hazards there will be no accidental shootings.

I had a experience in my driveway where husband was beating and knifing his wife, I came out with a bat as my son followed with a .38 behind me. Chances if I waited for cops and wife could of been dead. My property your problem.

soulchild

Why did I buy a gun?

I have had a gun pulled on me in another lifetime. That changes everything you think you know about everything. I have also seen 2 men pull guns in close enough proximity to be concerned (basketball court and a night club). My aunt was robbed at gunpoint half a mile from my house growing up. This planted the seed of my family being in danger. Fast forward to the here and now where the world has literally lost it's shit and it is only going to get worse. If you believe otherwise, you are naive. Just my opinion.

Fact NJ self defense law: YOUR DUTY IS TO RETREAT FIRST

So if you think you are going to just shoot someone in your house and not go to prison...good luck. Not in this state.

This is absolutely 100% on truth.

"Retreat required if actor knows he can avoid necessity of deadly force in complete safety, etc. except not obliged to retreat from dwelling, unless the initial aggressor"

I am against taking a life for any reason other than defense of another. Hunting makes no sense to me unless you live in the bush and need to hunt to survive. Bottom line - if you come into my home I will pull my gun. You will either see my gun and surrender or advance and I'll put 2 in your chest. My family and I will be alive, after that I'll worry about the consequences of my actions but I assure you I have zero concern for the consequences of defending my family.

BrianGT3

I like them, I owned lots over the years, not many currently.

As a background I grew up around them, both my father and grandfather we're recreational shooters. My dad did competitive handgun shooting. A few people in my family are as well in addition to many friends. My mom hates them, hated them in the house, still hates them.

But both my parents have one thing in common. Lots of parents fear their children drowning, so my Mom decided to send me to swimming lessons when I was in Kindergarten. I learned how to swim, tread water and dive safely. Thus my Mom never had to worry about me going in the pool or ocean growing up. Also at a young age my father taught me gun safety and responsibility, took me shooting. He kept them locked inside a case unloaded inside a locked safe. Therefor he never had to worry about my hurting myself or another growing up.

With that being said, growing up around them, the lifelong exposire it's something you just have. Like anything its a tool, and a dangerous one at that. Handled with a tremendous amount of responsibility and respect.

It's a touchy topic with lots of people, especially in this area which can have prominent political beliefs. My general theory is people fear what they don't know, and if you've never handled a firearm, don't have an fundamental understanding of how they work, there is a innate fear about them. Not to start another debate, not to discredit responsible ownership. But basically if a firearm doesn't have a round in the chamber and nothing to active the firing pin (squeezing the trigger), it's just a hunk of metal. Owning one is taking a lot of responsibility not only for you own actions, but for those around you in educating your spouse and children and also proper safe storage.

So why own one?

Recreation:
Going to an indoor shooting range with a handgun is fun. Its a great stress reliever, it's a way to challenge yourself. I also enjoy taking new shooters and teaching them. Took my GF's son shooting for his bday, he loved it.

Clay pigeon shooting with a shotgun. Involves good hand and eye coordination, timing. You're trying to hit a moving target. It's like duck hunt on nintendo. Much like the range its challenging and lots of fun. Vaporizing a clay disc in the sky is a great feeling. Also phenomenal stress reliever.

Target shooting, I often do this with the family (they have lots of land). Things like bowling pins, pumpkins, bricks, soda cans. On a windy day from 100 yards away they can be a tough to hit with a 12 guage slug, but when you do it can ellicit giggles in grown men when you watch some solid object suddenly puff into a cloud of dust. It's much the same feeling like riding a wheelie for some epic distance, jumping your bmx bike over 5 garbage cans as a kid.

Protection

Yes I live in a safe area, but like others have said its a tool, something to have just in case. I have some welfare family across the street, yea they have arguments outside at 11pm, police family services unit frequently visits. The boyfriend/husband does drug deals, but they seem to keep to themselves. I hope I'm never in this type of situation, I see a firearm as more of a deterrent. It's that "last option" after someone coming through a locked door, calling 911, verbal warnings, backing into a corner.

However when I'm heading upstate to spend a weekend at the cabin. The shotgun comes with and it's loaded up there. Sheriff/SP response times are around 45 minutes to one hour. My neighbor had someone trespassing on his property, the guy ignored initial verbal warnings. He then goes back inside and comes out with his shotgun and chambers a round, they guy then promptly left. There have been break ins on some other properties over the years, typically done by locals. Someone was mauled by a bear up the road from us. Like I said with help 45 min to and hour away, I can't try to negotiate with some meth head, black bear or pack of coyotes. You have to rely on yourself and neighbors.

Investment

In 1970 something my grandfather purchased a handgun from a pawn shop in Daytona Florida for $30, it's now worth over $3500. They really don't lose value over time, especially older antique firearms in great condition. Something you buy today you very much could make a profit on 10 - 15 years from now. Also bear in mind that firearm laws are only going to continue to get more restrictive, something grandfathered into a new law will only have its value suddenly increase. For example 3 to 4 years ago the gov't and media were pushing to ban those "evil black assault style guns". Worried about a potential ban, buyers flooded the market and retail values ballooned big time. At the time I owned one of those "evil black guns". I wound up selling it for more than inital purchase of the gun, accessories and ammo! Not a bad deal.

RobW

Why did I buy a gun?

I have had a gun pulled on me in another lifetime. That changes everything you think you know about everything. I have also seen 2 men pull guns in close enough proximity to be concerned (basketball court and a night club). My aunt was robbed at gunpoint half a mile from my house growing up. This planted the seed of my family being in danger. Fast forward to the here and now where the world has literally lost it's shit and it is only going to get worse. If you believe otherwise, you are naive. Just my opinion.

This is absolutely 100% on truth.

"Retreat required if actor knows he can avoid necessity of deadly force in complete safety, etc. except not obliged to retreat from dwelling, unless the initial aggressor"

I am against taking a life for any reason other than defense of another. Hunting makes no sense to me unless you live in the bush and need to hunt to survive. Bottom line - if you come into my home I will pull my gun. You will either see my gun and surrender or advance and I'll put 2 in your chest. My family and I will be alive, after that I'll worry about the consequences of my actions but I assure you I have zero concern for the consequences of defending my family.
Well said, respect!

ktmrider

I've been woken up twice by a fox trying to get in my chicken coop. What if one day it's a coyote or bear? Do I just stand there and watch my coop get torn apart and chickens eaten. Nope.
This reminds me of when I lived in Florida in a not so nice area , It was an apartment on the 3 rd floor my car alarm would go off and I would stand on the balcony shooting pellets into the crack addicts . Some I would shoot over 50 rnds into them . That was such good times . It was almost like a game every weekend . We actually would do drinking games combined with it .

Top Bottom