What did you break, puncture, bend, dent or otherwise ruin this week?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I concur; however, we don't really have the rim scorching descents out here you might in other parts of the country/world so in reality they would probably not kill you around here. Lots of people have logged a lot of miles on chinese carbon clinchers (CCC's), certainly with some documented failures but by no means epidemic IMO. I just don't see much need for carbon clinchers--in addition to some marginal safety risk, they are heavy compared to toobies.

I race on plastic tubulars but if I'm JRA or training then a nice wide alu clincher with sensible spoke count checks all the boxes for me. H+Son Archetype weighs about the same as a 45mm CCC and a Pacenti SL 23 weighs about the same as a 35mm deep CCC. Pick your poison.

If I'm playing the odds, I'll take my chances on a slighty less aero aluminum clincher. Statistics favors the prepared. I suppose you could say Pick you Poisson.

I'm assuming your opinion changes with disks?

Pacenti SL23 here w/ rim brakes. Seemed like the best option when I put them together and still that way with rim brakes. The BHS rims/spokes/hubs deal packages can be quite worth it.

If I was doing a disk road bike (which I doubt I ever would) the carbon rims seem to be a good option I would think.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm assuming your opinion changes with disks?

Pacenti SL23 here w/ rim brakes. Seemed like the best option when I put them together and still that way with rim brakes. The BHS rims/spokes/hubs deal packages can be quite worth it.

If I was doing a disk road bike (which I doubt I ever would) the carbon rims seem to be a good option I would think.

Not really...not for road tubeless at least. CX tubeless is another story

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't see the need for road tubeless for me. I think I've used my road bike once this year. CX it seems carbon is the only way to go on a disk tubeless wheelset build. If I didn't already have so many CX clinchers and wheelsets laying around.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone aquaseal challenge tires? I bought a pair of Baby Limus at the beginning of the season. Less than a dozen races later, the sidewall on the rear tire is completely shredded. It doesn't look like an abrasion, but rather decomposition of the cotton casing. I've only ever ran Clement tires, so never had to think about anything besides gluing. Thoughts?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
the used wheelset i bought/have was aquasealed and it has to be 4 seasons old at least. wood recommend. not sure how its done doe.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone aquaseal challenge tires? I bought a pair of Baby Limus at the beginning of the season. Less than a dozen races later, the sidewall on the rear tire is completely shredded. It doesn't look like an abrasion, but rather decomposition of the cotton casing. I've only ever ran Clement tires, so never had to think about anything besides gluing. Thoughts?

Fred used to do this I believe. It keep them looking pretty, just like Fred. If you have the team edition ones then you have cotton, otherwise it's a poly casing. Cotton will rot pretty quickly if not treated and they see a lot of moisture but even the poly ones suffer from rot. I've aquasealed Dugasts but not Challenge. Get the thinner stuff, not the goopy stuff, because it's much easier to get a nice even coat on there.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I Aquasealed the last set of garden-variety Fangos I had, and it kept them cleaner, and for sure contributed to their longevity.

I bought a set of wheels in 2013 with pre-glued Grifos that were not sealed, and they definitely didn't hold up as well.

FMB are pre-sealed, btw.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I just learned something the hard way, didn't I?

On the subject of tubulars, anyone have any experience with vittorias?

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Flatted my front Challenge Fango on the carbon wheel Saturday at NBX, and tore a large outer casing on my beloved limus rear.

I'm going to try to clean up the area and glue it back down, seems like the inner casing is holding it together fine.

jackx

I used Aquaseal on the inside of 2 Maxxis Ignitor EXO 2.10 MTB tires. I did this to prevent the tires from delaminating, which seemed to be caused by Stan's fluid in an Ignitor I had previously. I Haven't looked inside tires to see how things look, but so far so good from the outside. No knobs delaminating.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finally killed the unkillable MXP and beat my hand up a bit in a very turn-y section of Rivertown CX.
IMG_20151205_121157957_HDR.jpg

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I just learned something the hard way, didn't I?

On the subject of tubulars, anyone have any experience with vittorias?

I've tried just about every brand but Vittoria at this point. I think Vittorias used to suck more and now they suck less? People used to complain about the rubber compound being bad but I think they changed it a couple years ago. They can often be found pretty cheap, which is nice.

Finally killed the unkillable MXP and beat my hand up a bit in a very turn-y section of Rivertown CX.
View attachment 28623

Hitting stakes like a slalom ski racer? You are basically the Lindsey Vonn of cyclocross. Are those tan-sidewall MXPs?

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One difference. I've never had sex with Tiger Woods. Oh, and I'm bad at racing, so two things. And nope, they were just beat as hell. Frankenbike wears old shoes. Wore old shoes. New one going on today...

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Two, count 'em, two excellent races this coming weekend. Solstice CX on Saturday, purty much right in Emmaus, followed by Limestone CX on Sunday, halfway between Emmaus and East Texas. A real place. (I'm putting up the $ for the women's purse at Solstice. Excellent opportunity for the fast and fabulous to take my money without having to rob me!)

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

http://www.cxmagazine.com/gutwrenching-mechanical-mondays-sealing-tubular-sidewalls-liquid-urethane
Better late than never...
or is it better never than late?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was actually going to PM Sean because I knew he would know. IF I HAD TO PICK ONE, Solstice or Limestone? I'm assuming Limestone.

Top Bottom