2015 Snowshoe Thread

stilluf

I was back over at Watchung on Prez Day. Snow was OK, and good powder stashes if you could find it. Also, took some relaly nice lines up and down the escarpment face. Def could not do that on XC skis!

stilluf

Powder Day!! Absolutely fantastic conditions out there. At the risk of being repetitive, discovered another sweet line up the Watchung escarpment, this time loaded with powder.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I go in the Res a lot, what is the escarpment? Stick to the established trails to break in the snow, I'm gonna get this week on the skis:D Go by the watertower loop, that needs to be beaten in more, everyone goes around the lake.

stilluf

I go in the Res a lot, what is the escarpment? Stick to the established trails to break in the snow, I'm gonna get this week on the skis:D Go by the watertower loop, that needs to be beaten in more, everyone goes around the lake.

Take the trails b/t the McDonald's/Rt22 trailhead and Seely's Pond. There is a pretty decent cliff face (i.e. the escarpment), with trails on top and below. I've been scouting it out, and finding lines UP the cliff face. I've been doing my best to work on these trails, let others tackle the more well-travelled routes.

gingertooth

i want to go hike up at harriman with snow shoes. can you give me a newbies guide to buying and stuff?

what is your price range?? And will you be mainly staying on packed tracks or exploring more on fresh pow?? Most of snowshoeing is done in two places near me. Norvin green state park and mostly harriman. Harriman is the bomb and most difficult to explore....

wonderturtle

i want to go hike up at harriman with snow shoes. can you give me a newbies guide to buying and stuff?

I bought a pair of msr brand snow shoes last year. I love it. Like mtb'ing it gets me outside and exercising. And I do it in the same parks (and more!!). Not nearly as good of a workout but f' it....it's exercise nonetheless.

Here's a link to the models sold by msr. I did a decent amount of research before I bought last year and it seems msr was the most highly rated (or at least best for the $).... http://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=Snow shoes&p=brand:MSR&nf=1&sort=+price

If I recall correctly, the evo 22 is their entry level shoe. It got VERY good reviews! I decided to get the lighting (since it had an additional feature or two and was on sale)

A tip or two:

(1) make sure to buy one that fits your weight (don't buy a shoe rated for people under 125 if you weigh 200 or you'll sink). With that said, I purposely bought a shoe that was slightly on the small side for me since I figured the weight ratings were based on places in the country where people are walking through 3 feet of powder and that you just don't need the same amount of "float" in central nj. That hunch was right. Also, they sell attachments you can attach to the back of the shoe to give you extra "float". I believe this was one of the features that people really liked about msr. I haven't found the need as we haven't had really deep snow yet but at least the option is there.

(2) use poles. More of a full body workout as they make you use your arms. I find my triceps are sore afterwards . Plus, they help in uneven terrain. I use a pair of hand-me-down ski poles. But they sell ridiculously overpriced retractable, snowshoeing-specific poles

(3) when there is snow onthe ground Monmouth county parks rents them out in Thompson park in lincroft so you can give it a try before buying. I think they have the evos there as well.

I made the trip up to campmor to buy mine as they had a HUGE selection and a salesperson who seemed to know what he was talking about.

Last edited:

stilluf

I know this is repetitive, but had another great shoe at Watchung on Saturday. Parked on Skytop by gazebo, took white down under the escarpment, climbed up the escarpment (another new line!), and back on white.
Trails were a bit icy where packed down, but for the most part I was able to break trail on fresh snow, under a bit of crust.
There is a finally some dirt showing, mostly on SW exposures, like at McDonald's trailhead. Let's try to give the trail a break during the freeze/thaw cycle, and stay off exposed portions.

stilluf

Best snowshoe of the season at Watchung on Saturday. Warm temps, deep powdery snow. Too bad the season is winding down....looking forward to getting back on the bike though!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Did somebody said SNOWSHOES??? February was SNOWSHOE Month! Great conditions!

Ramapo/Skyline (Pompton Lakes side)

11428_10155300474815389_2512457829477244401_n.jpg

Ramapo/Skyline (Ringwood side) - Lake Tamarack

10363849_10155217230920389_1984712210813037309_n.jpg

Ringwood (Glasmere Pond)

10898117_10155242501040389_7796788231602332772_n.jpg

Harriman

10959386_10155271489555389_529367412980239263_n.jpg

Robson

Just looking at snowshoes right now...MSR Evo seems to be the thing to have. $99.95 online.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Robson I have been using the MSR Lightning Ascent for the last 3 years and I love them. Really good for the parks I get to after the freeze-thaw cycle and things get a little crunchy...

Brian

wonderturtle

Just looking at snowshoes right now...MSR Evo seems to be the thing to have. $99.95 online.

seems like a very good choice as a first shoe. I almost went with it - went to the store to buy it - but ended up buying ESR's Lightning since there was a huge sale on it. the EVO gets great reviews though.

Panhead

I swear by my Tubbs Crest. Great traction on the steepest slopes, Stairway to Heaven on the AT in Vernon at night is one of my favorite climbs.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I swear by my Tubbs Crest. Great traction on the steepest slopes, Stairway to Heaven on the AT in Vernon at night is one of my favorite climbs.

+1 on the tube. I have had good luck with then. I have even been able to put a mountaineering boot in them for when I hike to ski and they hold up. Great traction and good float.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
i enjoy snow shoeing i have the msr evo w/ tails i been hiking rancocus park, hartshorn , cheesequake, and round valley this season, i throw my pack on and my small stove and some food and im good for the day.

Top Bottom