World Cup

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was also announced that they arrested Chuck Blazer back in 2013, and that he plead guilty and forfeited $1.9 million and will have to pay another sum when he is sentenced. He is facing ten years in prison as well. Blazer is the guy responsible for making soccer popular (for some definitions of popular) in the US.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/f...-admitted-corruption-charges-2013-doj-n365161

This is a very interesting (albeit long) read about him, including his scheming with Jack Warner, one of the men just arrested:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/the-rise-and-fall-of-chuck-blazer-the-man-who-built-and-bilk

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
this is no secret....big deal.....

just like the nfl, mlb, etc....no scandal will prevent the stadiums for being full or damage their reputation!!!

Viva el Futbol!!!

Aline-Bernardes-GRUPO-A-1-682x1024.jpg
Aline-Bernardes-Grupo-H.jpg
1118full-aline-bernardes.jpg
Aline-Bernardes-GRUPO-B.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was away last week and just got home yesterday and watched the US/Mexico game from Saturday night. Damn that last goal was impressive. Mexico deserved to win the game, but dammit anyway. I guess it's better than the US losing at penalty kicks. I read this morning that Klinsman sent Fabian Johnson home because he pulled himself out of the game and forced a final substitution in overtime. Klinsman was planning to put Nick Rimando in at goalkeeper if it went to PK's, and he wouldn't have been able to because of that.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nail biter tonight after USA lost in Guatemala Friday night. If the US fails to win tonight, there is a very real chance that they could miss out on the 2018 World Cup, and they aren't even in the final round of qualifying yet...they haven't failed to qualify since '86.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nail biter tonight after USA lost in Guatemala Friday night. If the US fails to win tonight, there is a very real chance that they could miss out on the 2018 World Cup, and they aren't even in the final round of qualifying yet...they haven't failed to qualify since '86.

Thanks for bumping this onto my radar. I tuned in late, bummer about that card on Bradley, and Finlay was robbed, but USA USA USA!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And since Zoller seems to be asleep
at the wheel...
image.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
USA kicks off Copa America tomorrow night against Columbia! I'm torn between going out to the bar to watch the game with a bunch of rabid fans versus staying home to bite my nails and then cry in sorrow alone. I mean, I want to believe we have a chance, but James Rodriguez will likely single-handedly rout us.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm watching some games as I catch them, but the US doesn't have much of a chance in their group.

Roadie

I'm watching some games as I catch them, but the US doesn't have much of a chance in their group.
Let's see how they do tomorrow. Big difference between Colombia and Costa Rica. If they can win tomorrow they have a chance to advance

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, they were like a different team tonight. Although they were playing against a very different team too, but I was expecting a closer match. I think the early PK through them off. We at least have a chance now.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a good thing that I don't actually bite my nails when I'm nervous, or I wouldn't have any nails left.

But WTF Jermaine Jones? How stupid can you be, but that call still seemed really harsh. It looks like he was trying to push the dude away with his fist, and it also looks like he didn't even make contact, but why do that? The other player was clearly gonna be sent off, why risk joining him?

And can they just do away with the ridiculous yellow card accumulations rule yet? Players get carded for the stupidest shit nowadays, how can you expect them to go four or five games without picking up two yellow cards!

Other side of the world, Poland held off the Germans. Whaaaaat?

I can't care about Euro 2016 until the USA's Copa run is over :p

Zaskar

It's a good thing that I don't actually bite my nails when I'm nervous, or I wouldn't have any nails left.

But WTF Jermaine Jones? How stupid can you be, but that call still seemed really harsh. It looks like he was trying to push the dude away with his fist, and it also looks like he didn't even make contact, but why do that? The other player was clearly gonna be sent off, why risk joining him?

And can they just do away with the ridiculous yellow card accumulations rule yet? Players get carded for the stupidest shit nowadays, how can you expect them to go four or five games without picking up two yellow cards!

I can't care about Euro 2016 until the USA's Copa run is over :p

You're right, that 2nd half was a nail biter. What was Brooks thinking as well there?? Running in with a push??
So no Jones or Wood for the semi's!

Great game dough.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What was Brooks thinking as well there?? Running in with a push??

Yeah I don't know. He was so strong in the past two games, but I was sure that one clearance at the end was an own goal to tie the game. That was pretty freaking close!

On the plus side, we are now guaranteed to be playing in two more games, and any highly competitve games at the international level are really great experience, especially for the younger players. Hopefully it's the semi and the final, and not the semi and the 3rd place consolation game, but either way we get to see them play twice!

Top Bottom