Charm City Cross 2015

The consensus is that Charm will be a skip for everyone I've talked to. After that weekend we have 6 races in 5 straight weeks. Then Thanksgiving. Then Xmas. Then we wait for that stupid groundhog. So a lot of people are skipping this year for whatever reason. Lack of critical mass and no momentum for this one.

I need to add the Ride the jawn blog to my favorites... It really is one of my favorites.. .Love the videos, music and all the telemetry in the videos

serious question: is the fly over poorly constructed or is skill level to blame for these pileups?

the last year i did it you could easily mess it up if you werent paying attention or in a group of idiots. it stinks they dont actually utilize it and its more of just a "feature" from the looks of it this year too.

serious question: is the fly over poorly constructed or is skill level to blame for these pileups?
I saw the same issues at providence. At least charm was nice enough to add rungs.

In traffic every field saw some amount of pile up with the worst coming from the juniors and C fields.

It seems like mostly a strength and confidence thing when the traffic is clear.

When is the world going to realize that flyovers and whirlybirds are equally as inane?

At least the flyover allows you to figure-8 the course. So they are slightly more useful.

Bonus points to the promoter that puts a whirlybird under a flyover.

When is the world going to realize that flyovers and whirlybirds are equally as inane?

At least the flyover allows you to figure-8 the course. So they are slightly more useful.

Bonus points to the promoter that puts a whirlybird under a flyover.
Their best use is for course crossings at massive events, I do declare.

At Providence the 4/5 race was a bit of a shit show on the first pass of the first flyover only, after that it was pretty much smooth sailing. It's definitely a strength/confidence thing. They're like wild animals, the smell your fear and anxiety, then they crush you.

Their best use is for course crossings at massive events, I do declare.

Good vantage point to heckle from as well...

i think part of the issue was it was slightly wet. then the issue of people trying to walk up both sides led to more wildness. i felt pretty bad for the little juniors who were trying to walk up the incline with bikes that weighed as much if not more than they do.

i think part of the issue was it was slightly wet. then the issue of people trying to walk up both sides led to more wildness. i felt pretty bad for the little juniors who were trying to walk up the incline with bikes that weighed as much if not more than they do.

does this happen with all fly overs at all events? i haven't really traveled out of this tri state area for racing, curious how the big UCI races with fly overs do it.

I thought the flyovers at Providence were pretty neat, mostly because they made the course better for pedestrian traffic and the ability to do a figure 8.

Decided preriding where I'd attempt the flyover. Each lap had 4 flyovers. Road up 3 and ran 1 bitch one. Don't regret the decision to run as everytime I went up it I avoided a crash. 50% of the people trying it next to me would make it 80% up and tip over screwing everyone behind them. It was so slippery that I'd run up on the left with my hand on the railing while everyone would slip in the middle. If you were in the middle and were trying to run it was likely you'd slip and land on your face.

the decision to run
I feel like the decision to run/not run is one you have to make & put your pride behind you. Running is not always the slowest way to tackle any obstacle. After the stairs on Nittany day 1, the first lap @Robin ran right by all the girls trying to remount in traffic - and passed a ton of people this way. Smart racing is knowing when to ride, and when to run.

Back
Top Bottom