Mtn Creek Advice

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
For the record, I did read this sticky: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/diablo-and-mount-snow-spylab-advice.10217/page-2

However, what I'd like is some advice on what to expect in terms of terrain on the green and blue trails. I want to take my 17 year old son for a few runs to experience the mountain in the summer, plus ride some of the XC trails up top.

About my son: He's an expert skiier, but on a bike is really only 6MR and Lew Mo material (no technical experience at all).
As for my DH experience: it's limited to Plattekill in the early 90s on a rigid XC bike when it first opened, and Mt Snow/Killington on XC FS bikes (we climbed to the top and rode down).

Despite the good advice in the sticky, but given that we only plan to do a few runs, we're not inclined to spend the dough on renting DH bikes, nor buying DH helmets (especially since he's off to college this fall). Goal is simply to ride up, take in the view/fresh air, sample some of the XC trails at the top, and take easy routes down. His bike is a Marin hardtail with 100mm travel. Mine is a 29er FS with 130 mm travel.

So, are greens smooth, not overly technical? How about blues? If you could compare them terrain-wise to some places like Jungle, Ringwood, Wawayanda, which trails would the greens and blues most closely resemble.

Thanks in advance!

mustclime

For the most part, the trails are cut for big bikes with slack head angles and lots of squish....as you know, north NJ is a giant pile of rocks with 3-6 inches of top soil on it. Cut a trail, run hundreds of big bikes down it and you have not more dirt. The older trails are just rock fields. There are better places to ride a XC bike then MC. jmo

J-Dro

Your bikes would probably do fine on Greenhorn but even there, other riders will be going significantly faster than you. People are mostly polite when they come up behind a DH beginner, so don't get spooked if/when it happens, just relax and let them pass when it's convenient. I'm not sure when you are planning to go, but you might try to plan for a weekday where you will pretty much have the place to yourselves.

Greenhorn takes you half way down the mountain, then the only green trail from there is Domboo. Domboo has some tight bermed turns that can get loose if the ground is dry, so just watch your speed. Having said that, one of the biggest mistakes that beginners make there is overbreaking which leads to skidding, so hopefully your son's athleticism will kick in and he'll find the right balance.

Since your son has limited experience and a hardtail, I would probably not recommend the blue trails even though they are mostly smooth. Not without a FF helmet and some armor anyway.

My $.02

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd take to blue or the sprain. MCBP is best served on big bikes. Though I spent a hole day with my 11 yr old daughter who rode their 24" 150 mm banger and she did above my expectations on all the green and blues.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Thanks guys...what about the main ski trails...which from Google Earth appear to be fire roads....While they may not be as interesting as the singletrack, I assume these aren't heavily traveled and leave room for error?

J-Dro

The ski trails won't be maintained and frankly, won't be much fun.

I'm struggling to see what you're trying to accomplish here. There is much better singletrack in NJ besides the MC upper trails. And if you're not going to ride the DH trails at MC, then what's the point?

My advice: either choose an XC ride with your boy at your favorite location or go all-in at MCBP. Rent DH bikes & FF helmet/armor and experience the park the way it is meant to.

greeek32

Thanks guys...what about the main ski trails...which from Google Earth appear to be fire roads....While they may not be as interesting as the singletrack, I assume these aren't heavily traveled and leave room for error?

You probably don't want to ride the ski trails. They're steeper than they look on skis when you're on a bike, they're straight down instead of switchbacking, and are not cut for bikes. Mountain Creek has great XC trails IMO and at the end you get to finish the day on a DH trail. If you stick to the green trails (greenhorn -> domboo) you'll be ok just keep your speed down until you're used to it. Like other's said, move over when people come up behind you but you're on the green trails so most people are understanding. Be careful thought, it's super fun and addicting, especially for a 17 yr old. When are you thinking of going?

Reactions: Jeb

greeek32

The ski trails won't be maintained and frankly, won't be much fun.

I'm struggling to see what you're trying to accomplish here. There is much better singletrack in NJ besides the MC upper trails. And if you're not going to ride the DH trails at MC, then what's the point?

My advice: either choose an XC ride with your boy at your favorite location or go all-in at MCBP. Rent DH bikes & FF helmet/armor and experience the park the way it is meant to.

I understood it as he wants to go for an XC ride with his son and get a one-two run taste of what creek is like. So if they hate it, they still got a decent ride in.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
I understood it as he wants to go for an XC ride with his son and get a one-two run taste of what creek is like. So if they hate it, they still got a decent ride in.

Bingo.

Jeff, I realize Creek's XC isn't quite the treat that our regular XC trails are, but our objective is just to give the lift-assisted, top o-the mountain experience a shot without going full-on DH. If he had more technical trail experience we could give the proper DH experience a shot.

Greek, That said, if we go mid week (less crowds) and do a half-day rental/ticket (less cost), it may be worth a shot. Mid-week options don't start till June, so we're thinking sometime late June (after HS graduation).

Thanks for the input everyone, most helpful. Now, back to our regularly scheduled XC programming. :D

greeek32

i assume they're still doing it this year: they sell single ride lift tickets for like $8 or much less ($2-4) with a JORBA membership, which you should already have if you MTB in NJ. Just ask for an XC ticket, it's way cheaper than paying for a half day pass if you're just going to ride the lift twice.

Johnny Utah

Bingo.

Jeff, I realize Creek's XC isn't quite the treat that our regular XC trails are, but our objective is just to give the lift-assisted, top o-the mountain experience a shot without going full-on DH. If he had more technical trail experience we could give the proper DH experience a shot.

Greek, That said, if we go mid week (less crowds) and do a half-day rental/ticket (less cost), it may be worth a shot. Mid-week options don't start till June, so we're thinking sometime late June (after HS graduation).

Thanks for the input everyone, most helpful. Now, back to our regularly scheduled XC programming. :D
I took the last week in June/first week in July off and plan to be up there. I have an extra full face and some leg armor I would be happy to lend.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
I took the last week in June/first week in July off and plan to be up there. I have an extra full face and some leg armor I would be happy to lend.

thanks Utah, appreciate the offer. I'll keep that in mind. We'll be away frist week July but end June could work. I'll let you know.

Jeb

Hi there! As an instructor and trail builder at MCBP, I'll throw in my two cents. First off, I think you can definitely find what you're looking for - but I too would suggest the $8 sky ride ticket to get to the top. Riding the cabriolet in the summer is a soothing experience in itself - with a birds eye view of many of our flagship trails (including domboo). The fire roads however, though seemingly the easiest way up or down to a new rider, are actually extremely loose with boulders and huge water bars aplenty. Once you get any momentum and attempt to brake, it can quickly turn into a slippery avalanchey feel. Let alone trying to climb them.

For your descent, Greenhorn to Domboo is a much better option. We plan to have lower greenhorn finished by the 4th of July, which could make the decision much easier. It will be a longer, wider alternative to Domboo with none of the short radius turns. Not to say that Domboo is hard to ride, because even as a green dh trail its one of the funnest on the mountain for all levels. It's just got some occasionally loose, flat berms followed by some occasionally loose, verty berms - both of which can be hard for beginners without proper turning or braking techniques.

You guys should stop by this weekend. We've got our biggest race of the season going on and it's a hoot! Huge race trailers behind the lodge and pros from all over the world ripping their bikes around. Also saw a bunch of cool demo bikes to try out. Mainly though, you should walk down the race course and watch practice or the racing tomorrow. Pro and cat1 qualifiers are this afternoon, races tomorrow. Should be tons of people and your boy will soak up a lot of riding knowledge just by watching the pros move around.

Anyhow, my bike is waiting and I'm missing precious lift access time, gotta run! Hope to meet you on the trails soon!

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Thanks @Jeb, won't be able to stop by this weekend, but appreciate the tips, and look forward to the Domboo alternative.

@Frank, @Johnny Utah, very righteous of you! That would be great. Looking at the calendar, my best guess for what day we'd be there would be July 2 or 3. I'll check with my son's school/social schedule and get back to you. BTW, he's 6'1" and I'm 6'3", so I assume an L would be the best fit (don't think they make "XL" DH bikes?).

Johnny Utah

Thanks @Jeb, won't be able to stop by this weekend, but appreciate the tips, and look forward to the Domboo alternative.

@Frank, @Johnny Utah, very righteous of you! That would be great. Looking at the calendar, my best guess for what day we'd be there would be July 2 or 3. I'll check with my son's school/social schedule and get back to you. BTW, he's 6'1" and I'm 6'3", so I assume an L would be the best fit (don't think they make "XL" DH bikes?).

Sounds good,my helmet and armpit are large/xl. Pretty sure Franks stuff is size wookie.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
With thanks to @Frank for the loaner bikes and helmets and @Johnny Utah for loaner pads and lots of good advice (not to mention checking up on us from time to time), my son (blue shirt) and I (red shirt) had a great time at MCBP. Here are a few pics, including one of Yogi and BooBoo, who just happened to be lounging on the appropriately named Crap Chute trail, because that's what our pants nearly looked like when we ran into them.

GOPR0352_zpsyvdazwps.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-07-03-16h46m40s141_zps4j7swxbx.png

vlcsnap-2015-07-03-21h35m07s168_zpsloq7ebuh.png

Top Bottom