suggest Canti brakes

qclabrat

A Kona Major One kind of fell on my lap this week
a few nice upgrades by the owner, but one not nice were Shimano v-brakes
what would you recommend under $100
considering TRP Eurox or Shorty 6s, though I hear the Shortys can be a bit chattery
any others I should consider, FYI wheels are not carbon

mstyer

I'm 99% sure I have a front and rear set of the older Shorty 6 brakes in my spare parts bin that I'd be willing to part with.

3691.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
A Kona Major One kind of fell on my lap this week
a few nice upgrades by the owner, but one not nice were Shimano v-brakes
what would you recommend under $100
considering TRP Eurox or Shorty 6s, though I hear the Shortys can be a bit chattery
any others I should consider, FYI wheels are not carbon
What is not nice about v brakes?

soulchild

The stopping power was far greater in my limited experience (2 years) using TRP mini v's over canti brakes on my SuperX. Modulation, mud clearance, etc. all secondary to being able to actually stop. Canti's must work, tons of people use them. Again, just my limited experience.

I think the more important note is to make sure your brake pads are aligned and toed correctly to maximize whatever equipment you choose to run.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
aren't v-brakes not recommended because of the lack of modulation and virtually no room to clear mud?
maybe, but it isnt a must upgrade if you dont want to spend the $$. V brakes are waaay more powerful and easier to set up than Canti's

Karate Monkey

As far as I know, shimano doesn't make mini V's, so that's probably your issue... Good rim clearance, no stopping power; good stopping power, no rim clearance.

Mini V's will work fine. Of course. This all assumes that the bike has integrated shifters...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i think they all suck, buy the cheapest ones you can (i think i have a set of cannondale take off ones) and spend your money on other things.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
EuroX is a good canti. But it is wide-geo and will have less power but better pad clearance than a narrow canti like Shorty 6 or TRP RevoX. I used EuroX for a while, switched to miniV (TRP CX8.4), then switched to RevoX last year. I'm very happy with them but both the EuroX and RevoX are a real pain in the ass to set up properly...requires simultaneous use of 3 wrenches. Shorty's will get the job done. Good pads and proper setup is the key.

MiniV's are great if you mostly ride the bike on the road because they actually stop you. Canti's all basically suck but being able to slow down in a race is overrated. I could never get the 8.4's to modulate well so I tossed em' for racing. If I had a bike that was used mostly on the road or for adventure riding I'd use mini-V's over cantis because it's nice to be able to stop in a hurry when it's raining and a Buick right hooks you.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Descending with shorty's on the road, in the rain and actually needing to stop is a fun experience.

Top Bottom