Millstone Trails - GPS Links???

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone have any Garmin links to the trails at Millstone, Barre, VT? Heading up to KT tomorrow and was hoping to break up the drive with some riding in between.

TYIA

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Just like KT, the dude in the millstone shop where you buy the trail pass is your best source for a ride route. He will highlight it on the map for you. Do not miss what they refer to as the "Desert" section, and I suggest doing that first as it is more fun on fresh legs. Have fun!

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That shop is gone Ken. You buy the pass at the convenience store now and he didn't seem to know much.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Ah bummer. He at least knew the correct way to link the new stuff. The old side I knew already. Convenience store no maps?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ah bummer. He at least knew the correct way to link the new stuff. The old side I knew already. Convenience store no maps?
He had maps but he did not know the trails well enough to direct people to the good stuff. Fortunately we were there the year before and kinda knew our way around.

jimf

Reviving this old thread. I am heading up to Kingdom tomorrow and we are planning on hitting millstone on the way up, then heading to the Alchemist to get our quota of 2x4 packs each of everything they make and head into Burke. I have a few questions for those of you have ridden here before. Assuming I have 3-4 hours where should I ride.

1. Should I stick to the Gnome Mans Land side of the trail system only or are there must rides in the other two areas
2. Is there any natural rock work like ringwood/waway or do they go with the wooden bridges everywhere?
3. Are you allowed to swim in any of the old quarries?
4. Both the spots(pic below) look really cool, anyone know where these are specifically?

Note I mugged these shots from the millstone site, I left the photo credit in but if its an issue let me know and I will delete

millstone-granite-bridge.PNG
millstone-quarry.PNG

gtluke

The Moped
you want the playground side, whatever that is. It's the first picture you posted. That's the entrance. It's cool as hell in there.
I saw people swimming in the quarry when we were there, and it's Vermont, do what you want! So I think you are allowed to swim or nobody cares.
Lots of cool features, some wooden, some natural. cool place.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
1. Lower Websterville is the more tech stuff with bridges, granite bridges/spines and drops. Some really great trails which make the most out of granite formations. This is the must ride section, it takes about 1.5-2hrs depending.
The other stuff is ok if you have the time, but I'd rather spend more time on lower trails. The upper trails are twisty with some flow and nice views.
I don't believe swimming is allowed however I have swam there, Access is right from the road.

http://www.millstonetrails.com/trail

Rusty

Options I am aware of:

ROCKS - 15 mins off I91 near Amherst Mass - http://www.nemba.org/trails/massachusetts/mount-holyoke-range-state-park
Flow/Climbs - 15 mins off I91 and right near above, Earls Trails http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/earls-trails.html
1000 feet up switchbacks (over 50 of em) combo of minor tech, few rocky sections, awesomeness - Green Mountain - http://www.gmtrails.org/ (just did Earls and Green last week on way to KT)
While at Green met some lady who was talking up Pine Hill in Rutland, VT but we didn't go there. http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/pine-hill-park.html

Rusty

I could stop here after hitting treehouse on the way up, thanks for the info.
If you do this, park at the Batchelor street lot and go up and right (there is a maprika map and other maps online) then cross over the top to the west and down the Rollercoaster trail....just a suggestion. It's vicious rocks the size of you head and bigger on the way up, and some good flow on the way down. If you have lots of valuables with you, you might want to park at the Notch lot (never did this, but less likely to get robbed.) It's not that anything happened when I had a full carload at Batchelor street, but there is a sign there warning folks not to leave valuables in the car.

https://www.strava.com/activities/156726910 and I have a phone number of a local who would be nice and give you a tour, if you want that, let me know.

jimf

I ended up hitting Millstone, it was very cool but if they are looking to promote it they could do a much better job of it. It was not all that easy to find the trail head, we did find Lawsons store fairly easy but the owners seemed surprised anyone was coming to ride the trails and they almost seemed to not know they existed, pretty odd. We actually thought for a bit that we were lost but using the map found the lot by the disk golf area. We tooled around there for a bit, hit a couple of cool bits of single track, passed the first of the air conditioned piles of granite(it was hot as hell so that was pretty amazing to have the temp drop 20 degrees coming down a trail) then headed over to gnome mans land. We realized pretty quickly that the scale on the map is way off. Roller coaster and rock and roll are way longer than they look on the map and vortex, angry gnome and scream'n demon are way shorter. I guess they did this to fit the entire trail system on one page but it kept throwing us off. Gnomes land is pretty awesome, not a bad trail on that side. I am on the fence if this is a destination unto itself, it might be but if you are going to kingdom this is well worth a stop on the way up.

One bit of bad news, its clear someone is vandalizing the ladder bridges. The really cool one built on top of the granite piles after grand lookout climb had the first section pulled off and the second was damaged as well. In other places some of the wood was collapsed or rotted away, that was not clearly vandalism, it seemed to be more wear and tear and age.

There were a lot of people swimming in the quarries, the water in the big ones was crystal clear and blue like the Caribbean.

There were tons of sketchy looking people in and around Barre, that kinda surprised me. The kind that look like the only food they eat is meth.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and routes. I will do this place again, just need to plan it better or get a guide.

Top Bottom