Home Remodeling

THATmanMANNY

I'm not sure the best way to go about this because what we want to do isn't too big and it doesn't seem complicated to a builder. (see details below)

How does this process go? Find architect and bid the job out? Hire a GC let him handle everything? just hire each piece myself? (framer, engineer, roofer, walls, electrical) I want this done right and legally because I'm dealing with some wall removal.

Input appreciated but call me if you have my number and want to talk at length or PM me for my number.

2012-10-30%2010.50.13_zps0b5u5znl.jpg

Found this picture from post Sandy. Tree has since been removed ha. One level with attic access in stairs. Just traditional roof shape, nothing funky.

2015-06-30%2020.42.41_zpsn3gnywgh.jpg

See this room. There is another living space about the same size on the other side of wall where lights are. We want to make that wall a half wall or nothing maybe? and make it an open living space. Think exposed beams.

2015-06-30%2020.43.04_zpsxt1gm2vq.jpg

Hopefully take this wall down to but it is a bearing wall because it is a wall of the main two story portion of the house. I am even imagining a the higher part of this wall where the attic access panel is to be gone and look down on the area (although I can live without this if it's like many $'s. Tricky part is that HVAC inlet. The end of the upstairs hallway is that inlet.

Last edited:
Hire a contractor that bids on your plans. He will have his subs quote in his price and you have nothing to do but suffer through the phase. Reach out to KTMrider.

ktmrider, yes I was going to and a couple other contractors I know of

but the plans.... I would have to find and get an architect on board, right?

If you are in the design and idea stage I would consider starting the discussion with a GC (or a design/build firm). They'll usually be able to tell you what is possible and give you some more ideas for less money than an architect. A good GC has an architect and engineer that they work well with so you will come across an issue of your builder and architect not seeing eye to eye. Additionally, a GC (that has worked in your town) will also know the planning department and will know what will and will not fly with the code officials in your town (yes, code is pretty standard throughout NJ, but every department has different things they allow or don't). A good GC will also know how to work around issues that you brought up (HVAC issue is probably easier to solve than you imagine...especially once the walls are open).

Manny I work with a architect out of clinton www.etrepkau.com He is very fair with cost . He will come to you and discuss , using him doesn't mean your married to using a certain contractor . WHO EVER YOU USE DONT LET THEM MAKE ANY DECISIONS . LET THEM MAKE SUGGESTIONS but don't let them steer you in a direction that you don't like .
If you want to GC the build which will save you about 20% minimum ,i can give you a list of qualified subs . GOOD LUCK
That 20 % would buy a really nice bike
If you call erik mention Rich from Grate contracting , he will be a bit easier on you with cost

You first step should be going to the town planner & seeing the zoning restrictions . schedule a meeting so you can see if they will allow what you are proposing

if you GC it yourself, best you have some subs as friends, cause you will be the first job they don't show up for because they
are busy with the guys they work with everyday. or you can do the easy stuff yourself (plumbing & electric) -
Check with Dave from River Edge Restoration (gc and/or just frame&finish) - he's over here in the the 'burg...but just off amwell.

Last edited:
If you do this with a GC or Contractor, make sure you get a written quote and contract for all of the work in scope. And also ask around to make sure he's not a douche bag.

Back
Top Bottom