Stem cap is only a dust cover?

Just recently I found out that my stem cap holds a chain tool, with a quick connect link in it...
http://m.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/bags-tools/tools/top-cap-chain-tool

So their instructions say
  • Alloy version includes tool to properly set your star nut (star nut not included).
  • Carbon version includes expander plug for your carbon steerer.
Which would indicate to me that once you "set your star nut" with their tool, then the chain tool and link just get stored in that space and the cap no longer has a purpose.
Oops... looking at it further, it looks like they DO have a cap with a threaded bolt to go down to the star nut. So maybe a cap IS necessary.

So their instructions say
  • Alloy version includes tool to properly set your star nut (star nut not included).
  • Carbon version includes expander plug for your carbon steerer.
Which would indicate to me that once you "set your star nut" with their tool, then the chain tool and link just get stored in that space and the cap no longer has a purpose.
Oops... looking at it further, it looks like they DO have a cap with a threaded bolt to go down to the star nut. So maybe a cap IS necessary.
Yeh, the cap itself hold the quick connect link, the threaded bolt holds the cap/tool in place. I find the cap very useful, haven't had a chance to use the chain tool and hopefully won't find the need but I use it more so when adjusting my handle bars, I tighten the cap to keep my fork in place while I align handlebars with wheel then I tighten my stem. It's not any good as a dust cap since it has cutouts in it but an extra bolt holding the front end tight can't hurt any...

Pareng @jumpa, galing ka ba sa Pilipinas? Ako rin. Mag-beer muna tayo!

yup! :) but i came state side when i was 3 and grew up in jersey, sorry for not responding back in tagalog. My tagalog is limited to understanding it primarily on a conversational level and beaing able to kind of read it haha. as far as the beer goes, that we can do, but after a ride makes it taste that much better ;)

funny thing, i almost never see other Filipino mnt bikers,(except that one time at lewis morris where there seemed to be a group of like 30 going out in a group) i always just thought it was just me and my friends. its nice to see some pinoys on single track!

Back
Top Bottom