5" tires on a beargrease

I will probably suck it up and buy A Dillinger five soon, but I just bought a few 4.0's for the fall.
I have a pair of relatively new Van Helgas and I like them a lot. I also have a of Dillinger 4/Escalator pair that I have studded. Just trying to explore other options for the winter.

After extensive search on the internets, the 5" inch Dillingers fit on 65mm rims. Probably will buy a set after the wedding. I don't know if they fit on a bigger rim, but a few beers and some hours should produce results that I am not going to put in until I buy wider rims.

After extensive search on the internets, the 5" inch Dillingers fit on 65mm rims. Probably will buy a set after the wedding. I don't know if they fit on a bigger rim, but a few beers and some hours should produce results that I am not going to put in until I buy wider rims.

My experience with Dillinger 5 on my 80mm Rear Wheel 26 32 hole Surly Holey Darryl was that the Dillinger 5 studded fit and just 2 studs slightly ticked the derailer. I found out the tire has a slight high spot, which I'm told is normal. Next, I bought a Dillinger 5 unstudded to run on the rear, thinking no problem without the studs. Wrong! It absolutely wouldn't fit. I couldn't believe it, overall height was too big, a 18psi, and still too big at 5psi. I now run a Dillinger 4.

My experience with Dillinger 5 on my 80mm Rear Wheel 26 32 hole Surly Holey Darryl was that the Dillinger 5 studded fit and just 2 studs slightly ticked the derailer. I found out the tire has a slight high spot, which I'm told is normal. Next, I bought a Dillinger 5 unstudded to run on the rear, thinking no problem without the studs. Wrong! It absolutely wouldn't fit. I couldn't believe it, overall height was too big, a 18psi, and still too big at 5psi. I now run a Dillinger 4.

You have a Beargrease too?

No two ways about it, I don't love a 4" tire on 90mm rims out front for summer trail riding on the BG. No, I haven't tried them all but I tried a bunch.

I love a 5" tire up front, Dillenger5 being my favorite all around front tire. I'll use a Vanhelga in back for winter riding but I'd love to go a bit bigger in back for summer w/out a ridiculous tread pattern.

C'mom fatbike industry, I need a 4.2-4.3 tire! I can use a BFL (great up front) but need a bit more grip on back.

The larger size Kenda Juggernauts actually would work but the pro version Is unavailable because they FUBAR'd the design and the tires were blowing off the rims so they went back to the drawing board...FML! o_O

You hitting the frame? The chain? The FD? All the above? Spill the beans. :)

You have a Beargrease too?
No.........a Farley. But I was just saying that the tire sizes don't seem too exact, same size tires, some fit and some don't, even though they are both Dillinger 5. Some have high spots too, as in out of round. My experience has been some rub, some don't, same size.

You hitting the frame? The chain? The FD? All the above? Spill the beans. :)

Hitting the derailer, width seems fine, it's the overall height and high spots that hit depending on the individual tire, for me anyway. I thought it could be the wheel, so I even remounted the tires 4 times rotating it on the wheel to check different positions but the high spot is where it is. It's the tire. I had to drop to a Dillinger 4 rather than keep trying 5's.

C'mom fatbike industry, I need a 4.2-4.3 tire! I can use a BFL (great up front) but need a bit more grip on back.

There's one tire that I know of with a listed size in that range: the Vee H-Billie (4.25"). It's tubeless ready, 120 tpi, weighs in at a relatively light 1255-1275g, and I think lists for about $80, so it's not the most expensive tire to buy if you want to experiment. I've got one on a 65mm Nextie rim on the back and it has provided good traction, although sidewall scrapes seem to expose the casing a little more easily than other tires I've ridden. Is it vulnerable to sidewall punctures? I haven't read that to be the case, and it hasn't happened to me yet, but I've only got about 4-5 weeks on it at this point. Some have said that the tread width is a little narrow, which makes the more rounded profile on a 65mm rim probably preferable to a wider rim...

There's one tire that I know of with a listed size in that range: the Vee H-Billie (4.25"). It's tubeless ready, 120 tpi, weighs in at a relatively light 1255-1275g, and I think lists for about $80, so it's not the most expensive tire to buy if you want to experiment. I've got one on a 65mm Nextie rim on the back and it has provided good traction, although sidewall scrapes seem to expose the casing a little more easily than other tires I've ridden. Is it vulnerable to sidewall punctures? I haven't read that to be the case, and it hasn't happened to me yet, but I've only got about 4-5 weeks on it at this point. Some have said that the tread width is a little narrow, which makes the more rounded profile on a 65mm rim probably preferable to a wider rim...

Cool! With a low (for a fatbike tire) price it might just warrant a look-see.

Thx

Someone needs to standardize all this bike nonsense... right now this craziness does not help me with my upcoming fatty build. Oh, wait since my company standardize insurance business maybe there is a way to standardize bikes???

Someone needs to standardize all this bike nonsense... right now this craziness does not help me with my upcoming fatty build. Oh, wait since my company standardize insurance business maybe there is a way to standardize bikes???

Yes. North Korea has the answer, but fat is not an option, unless you are the dear leader.

Seems pretty obvious to me, yet the Beargease is still popular despite being very outdated. It's like a carbon fibre Pugsley.

I really thought they would have changed it in the line up this year, but no dice. Not sure why so many brands are still limited to running a 4" tire when the masses know the benefit of the 5" tire in deep snow.

I really thought they would have changed it in the line up this year, but no dice. Not sure why so many brands are still limited to running a 4" tire when the masses know the benefit of the 5" tire in deep snow.

It's very odd that the company that started the fat bike craze in the first place hasn't been able to keep pace with it's competitors. JayP is forced to ride a Ti Muk for ITI because the BG can't cut the mustard, or, snow in this case. It has to get a 197 rear next season to stay competitve, have you seen the new 9:ZERO:7 or Borealis? The top bike by every company other than Salsa is 197mm and weighs under 20 pounds.

It's very odd that the company that started the fat bike craze in the first place hasn't been able to keep pace with it's competitors. JayP is forced to ride a Ti Muk for ITI because the BG can't cut the mustard, or, snow in this case. It has to get a 197 rear next season to stay competitve, have you seen the new 9:ZERO:7 or Borealis? The top bike by every company other than Salsa is 197mm and weighs under 20 pounds.

Yeah, I hear ya, the 9:ZERO::7 Whiteout has caught my eye as of late. I really though this years Beargrease was going to go 197 rear with 5" capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom