Aero/tri bars? Yes I have a reason!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I just came back from the hand doctor and whoopie, I've got a bit of arthritis at the base of my thumb. As this is pretty much where I put my hand on the road bike I need to change things around, or mostly stop riding it. We (the doc and I, he rides some) were talking about aero bars as an alternative but I've never even touched a set so, what's the deal?
Tanks.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I run FSA Mini-TT bars for the REALLY long rides and changing hand positions does help a little. If you want to take pressure off your hands all-together you need something like a Profile T2+.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorta nervous about the TT style as no access to brake or shifter but obviously it would solve the hand problem. I'm not sure a flat top bar would be enough...
Maybe a sort of bullhorn, or like Jim said the T2?
This sucks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i can lend you my clip-ons - need them for a triathlon in a couple weeks.
if you don't post that you use them, nobody will make fun of you.....
oh, crap, did i just type that out-loud?

giff06

Most TT bars will accept shifters. The brakes stay on the cow horns. Like most things we do TT bars will just take a bit of adaption for your riding style and most groups ask you do not use them except while on the front due to the lack of brake access.
Ed

qclabrat

do you need to change the setup or just occasionally change positions while riding?
is shifting from the hoods the primary issue? what about a Di2 conversion

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ed, the group ride thing isn't an issue, I'll probably try them for a bit before moving the shifters. Thx.

do you need to change the setup or just occasionally change positions while riding?
is shifting from the hoods the primary issue? what about a Di2 conversion

The area is the base of my (left, not that it matters) thumb, and although I do try to switch around, most of the time I'm on the hoods. Which puts the majority of my weight on the problem spot. None of this is definitive, still figuring it out a little.

Pat, I might take you up on the loan, probably after your event though. Thank you.

qclabrat

I have the T2+ you can demo as well, has Dura Ace 10spd thumbies
Personally don't like riding without a finger on the brakes, unless in a car-less road

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I stopped in Cycle Craft to talk about bar options and wound up talking to Tim the Fit Guy. Tim thinks he can help with proper fit. I liked Tim but I rate this as somewhat unlikely. Yeah, if I have too much weight on my hands that will hurt, but that's kinda how the road bike works. Plus it's $380.00. Thoughts?

giff06

I found most of the weight was off my hands when on aero bars and it was mostly on shoulders and elows/forearms. Not sure how high end you wanna go but clip ons work pretty well even on regular drop bars. Don't know about carbon road bars though, not really up on the latest and greatest. Clip ons are pretty reasonable price wise and I adjusted to my forearms in the supports just in front of my elbows ,with a comfy reach to the end of the aero bars and my elbows in line with my ears as a starting point.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Gayness level aside, I would try clip ins before I paid $380 for a fit. I am all for fits on the road bike but that is some coin.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah it felt a little luxurious to me also. But I would get three hours of undivided attention to ME! :p

I found some clip on aero bars on flea bay cheap enough. Like you guys say, maybe throw a set of those on first.
Thanks for the replies and input. Maybe not the gay sex ones so much. :eek:

qclabrat

Too much weight on hands my also point to a core issue. Don't know you so my be wrong, for all I know you may have Bruce Lee abs and do a hundred crunches each night. When on the road bike I focus on sucking the gut in, helps me to activate the core and takes pressure off lower back and shoulders.

Ian F

I'm interested in what the new Rotor hydraulic drivetrain will be like:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/08/news/first-look-rotor-uno-hydraulic-drivetrain_382968

One potential plus is the possibility of running dual brake levers - one in the normal position with the shifter and a brake-only lever on the aero extension. From a hydraulic POV, the system shouldn't care which lever actuates the brake.

I also agree about too much weight on the hands being a potential fit problem.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Too much weight on hands my also point to a core issue. Don't know you so my be wrong, for all I know you may have Bruce Lee abs and do a hundred crunches each night. When on the road bike I focus on sucking the gut in, helps me to activate the core and takes pressure off lower back and shoulders.

Yeah, I'm not a slug but you wouldn't use "abs of stone" either. I'm messing around with position right now see if changes anything. I had my seat pretty far back as it turns out so I'm moving it forward to try and get more upright.
Hydros look cool but that's gotta be some $$$

rlb

Were you previously fit to this bike? I think 3 hours is long (but what do I know...) Keep in mind you might wind up buying a new stem, seat post, saddle etc. As part of the fit process. IMO that's probably going to be your best bet to alleviate this kind of issue but the aeros may also work. Good luck!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah it felt a little luxurious to me also. But I would get three hours of undivided attention to ME! :p

I found some clip on aero bars on flea bay cheap enough. Like you guys say, maybe throw a set of those on first.
Thanks for the replies and input. Maybe not the gay sex ones so much. :eek:

Now that @gtluke likes cyclocross, @mattybfat is alone on the "it's gay" island

Top Bottom