6th Annual CRANKS AROUND THE CAMPFIRE 8/26-8/28/2016

JoeLee

Registered. Me, the wife, 9 year-old daughter and 5 year-old son (It's his birthday weekend!) will be camping and riding and eating. Looking forward to this!

Might even try him without the training wheels for the first time if there's a likely looking spot.

DanBrodeen

Registered. Me, the wife, 9 year-old daughter and 5 year-old son (It's his birthday weekend!) will be camping and riding and eating. Looking forward to this!

Might even try him without the training wheels for the first time if there's a likely looking spot.

So awesome you are joining us! Our parade field or volleyball court could be excellent spots for his first ride minus the training wheels.

JoeLee

I hope this hadn't already been asked but will cars be parked by campsites or just driven up to drop off gear and then parked elsewhere? (Just wondering whether I will have electricity available.)

DanBrodeen

I hope this hadn't already been asked but will cars be parked by campsites or just driven up to drop off gear and then parked elsewhere? (Just wondering whether I will have electricity available.)
You can park near your site but it would be great if you don't need the car to move it back down to the main lot.

JoeLee

That's fine - I can just use the power to inflate mattresses then move the car - thanks!

DanBrodeen

Tentative schedule here. Still needs a few tweaks but this should give everyone a good idea of what you've got going on this weekend at Cranks.

Lots going on all weekend at Cranks Around the Campfire! Please check out the schedule to plan out your epic weekend!

Day participants may begin arriving at 8am and stay until 10pm. Please no cars traveling through campsites after 10pm and before 7am. If you plan on traveling between those hours please leave your vehicle in the main lot. The no pets rule will be strictly enforced. Firewood is available at the Ranger Station located at the south end of the lot behind the health lodge. Wheelbarrows will be available for transporting wood. Ice for your coolers is free and available in the dining hall courtyard. Please keep beverages in cups when not in campsites. Cups will be available at the Beach Party. There will be a bike washing station at the shower house. Participants can reach the event organizer at 570-977-0874.

If you are dropping off the kids to be watched during the group rides please send them with snack and a water bottle. All rides will be no drop but please be courteous and ride at the appropriate skill level. Use our ride rating system to determine which rides are best for you. Group Rides are subject to change and rides may be added or taken away based on attendance.

Ride Rating Categories

BEGINNER- Beginner rides are on dirt roads and short trails on the camp property. These rides are a good way to get familiar with the shifters and controlling the bike.

NOVICE- Novice rides are on single-track trails with short ups and downs but not a lot of overall elevation gain. Rides include rolling over logs and rocks.

INTERMEDIATE- Intermediate rides are on single-track trails and include significant elevation gain, rocks and logs.

ADVANCED- Advanced rides add technical features and more miles to the ride.

EXPERT- Expert rides include all of the above at a faster overall ride pace and greater mileage. Rides may include Rolly Polly and Lumpy Bumpy.

Check out our improved skills course across from the Red Barn. Lots of skinnies and teeter-totters to test your skills!

Remember to always wear your helmet on camp property!

Friday

12:00pm Cranks Opens

Campers and Day participants may begin arriving. Please check in at office.

4:00pm Intermediate Group Ride into Allamuchy State Park

Meet at Office. Please bring spare tube and water. Ride will last 1.5-2 hours.

8:00pm Campfire

Across from Shower House. Bring a snack and your favorite beverage.

8:00pm Night Rides presented by Princeton Tec on the Reservation

Loner lights available

Bring a bike light, flashlight, and water. Two levels: novice and Intermediate. Meet at Office.

9:00pm Movie Night Double Feature at the Dining Hall

Bring munchies and favorite beverage to watch 24 Solo and Klunkerz.

Saturday

8:45am Festival Opening Ceremony

Come on down to the office to meet all your fellow campers as we officially start the weekend. Perfect opportunity to ask the organizers questions and learn more about all the events taking place throughout the weekend.

8:45am Kids Activities

Meet at Office. Camp staff will watch your kids while you are on your group ride. Activities will include arts/crafts, fishing, hiking, biking, nature walk, and more!

9:00am Fundamental skills clinic with Ben Tufford of

Cognition Endurance Sports Coaching

Perfect for sharpening and increasing your skill set for all the riding you'll be doing throughout the weekend.

9:00am Group Rides

Meet at Office:

1. Intermediate Ride to Allamuchy North State Park: The All American Ride will hit some of the more technical singletrack the park has to offer highlighting the Red, White, and Blue Trails. Ride will last 1.5 hours.

2. Enduro Style Expert Ride to Allamuchy North: Break out the pads and check your rebound! Ride will showcase the longer downhill sections of Allamuchy. Take our time on the way up and pin it down. Ride will last 2+ hours and pace will be steady.

3.Intermediate Ride Deer Park: Ride will head up the Orange trail from Waterloo and ride around the pond. 1.5-2 hours

4. Beginner Ride on Camp Property: follow camp roads around the reservation. Time 30 minutes to 1 hour.

11:00am Kids MTB Ride

Meet at Red Barn

1:00pm Kids Treasure Hunt.

Meet at Office. Each participant and their parent/guardian will be given a map that has locations within the camp marked on it. They will find prizes hidden there. Limited to 20 participants.

1:00-3:00pm Open Swimming at the Waterfront

Bring a towel and your suit!

1:45pm Kids Activities

Meet at office. Professionally Trained staff. Parents encouraged to get out and ride!

2:00pm Technical Skills Clinic ride with Ben Tufford of

Cognition Endurance Sports Coaching The ride will visit many of the technical features that have made Allamuchy North famous. The ride will stop before each section and Ben will give expert instruction on how to negotiate the technical section.

2:00pm Group Rides

Meet at Office

1. Intermediate Ride at Stephens State Park: Flow ride lasting about 2 hours.

2. Advanced Ride at Allamuchy North: 2-3 hours.

3. Intermediate Ride at Deer Park: 2-2.5 hours

4. Novice Ride to Stephens State Park: 1-1.5 hours

5. Kids Novice Ride to Stephens: Kid friendly pace on Stephens’ beginner friendly trails. Parents encouraged to accompany children. Riders should have prior MTB experience.

5:30pm Beach Party BBQ

Join your fellow campers at the waterfront for some lakeside fun. Bring your favorite beverage (solo cups provided) and enjoy some hotdogs/hamburgers while a DJ plays some music to get your post ride recovery groove on!

8:30pm Campfire

Across from Shower House. Bring a snack and your favorite beverage.

8:00pm Guided Night Hike presented by Princeton Tec

Meet at the office. Bring some water, sturdy shoes, and headlamp. Lights also available for use from Princeton Tec. Hike 2-3 miles long.

8:00pm Night Ride presented by Princeton Tec

Meet at office. Lights available for use from Princeton Tec. Options are self- guided and beginner level ride around the reservation.

Sunday

8:45 Kids Activities: Fishing

Meet at Office Poles available

9:00am History Ride:

This is a novice skill level ride and will be about 2 1/2 hours including stops at Archaeologically significant ruins. Stops will include an iron mine, railroad roundtable, inclined plane with turbine pit, ice house with steam engine base, and a lime kiln.

9:00am Group Rides

Meet at Office

1. Advanced Ride into Allamuchy North: 2-3 hours

2. Intermediate Ride into Stephens State Park: Time 1.5-2 hours

3. Advanced Ride into Deer Park: Up Orange to white and some fun in between then onto Rogue. Time 2 hours plus.

11:00am Kids MTB Ride

Meet at Red Barn

1:00-3:00pm Open Swimming at the Waterfront

Bring a towel and your suit!

1:45pm Kids Activites

Meet at Pavilion next to Volleyball court. Drop off your kids and hit up the trails. Professionally Trained staff.

2:00pm Group RIdes

Meet at Office

1. Advanced Ride to Allamuchy North: 2-3 hours

2. Intermediate Ride to Stephens: 1.5-2 hours

3. Novice Ride to Stephens: 1 hour

6:00pm Cranks Closes

DanBrodeen

Registration online is closed but there is day of! Come out and join us for an amazing weekend on bikes!

rayder

I had planned on getting there at eight and registering in the morning but my wife changed my plans. Is it OK to come at noon and register in time for the 2 o'clock ride?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
PSX_20150829_165458.jpg

You guys are missing all the fun!!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Phenomenal weekend!! Had an absolute blast. Rode 75ish miles of awesome singletrack throughout the weekend. Spent a bunch of time in camp on the trials bike with little shredder Brodie, he showed me all the sick rocks to jump off. I'm fairly sure I was the last person to stop riding, I could easily do a week of this!!

11947475_10207471949618858_4376876597908451993_n.jpg

I hit every single trail at Deer Park as it was my first time there. Really fun park. I couldn't find the entrance to rogue at the top of the hill so I climbed up it instead. That was not my best decision. Also, Luke's Candyland Maps were a lifesaver, until the end when my Garmin died way out in North. I was out near the Sussex Branch trail exploring that area and 1 of 5 trails are marked so I got turned around. Instead of heading West back to camp, I went South to Waterloo Road and took that back.

11987161_10207471949258849_2875647510019294860_n.jpg

PS-I didn't see a single bear all weekend, they must not like fat bikes.

Stef

❤ Brownie Biatch ❤
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hit every single trail at Deer Park as it was my first time there. Really fun park. I couldn't find the entrance to rogue at the top of the hill so I climbed up it instead. That was not my best decision. Also, Luke's Candyland Maps were a lifesaver, until the end when my Garmin died way out in North. I was out near the Sussex Branch trail exploring that area and 1 of 5 trails are marked so I got turned around. Instead of heading West back to camp, I went South to Waterloo Road and took that back.

Saw you when i left on waterloo....figured you got lost :)

Top Bottom