Short trip to Asheville

Robin

Someone on the forum asked me for some info on our trip to Asheville - I thought I would also post here incase anyone does a "search" or plans a trip in the future.

So Asheville - we loved it and can't wait to go back. We stayed on the outskirts of the city in a Hampton Inn near the Bent Creek Trails - totally by luck that I picked that hotel. I would say we were about 5 miles from the city/downtown and about 25 miles from Brevard (where DuPont and Pisgah are).

We did 3 days of riding - one day at each "park" - Bent Creek, DuPont State Forest, and Pisgah. I reached out to a few people for advice and routes and they gave me the advice of picking up maps at bike shops (we got ours at the shop near our hotel - MotionMakers) and checking out SORBA (there is a "suggested routes" link). We did for Bent Creek. It wasn't that it was hard to navigate, but it was a pain to pull out a full-size map to check. So I will include my Garmin files/routes below.

Bent Creek
DuPont
Pisgah

As for terrain - they all have a decent amount of climbing. Not short punchy climbs so much, but longer climbs. I wouldn't really call the trails technical as far as rocks...more roots. I would compare Bent Creek's surface similar to 6-mile or Wiss. DuPont was more like Allaire/Hartshorne (fast and flowy). And Pisgah...well, 1/2 of it was gravel fire roads and the trails were washed out/not really maintained (we were warned about that).

For our 2nd day, we hired a guide for DuPont. Several people told us that it's a maze/can get confusing. We did a 1/2 day tour with Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures. For us, it was worth the money. Our guides gave us a complete tour of the place, riding the trails with flow.

We heard about the legendary Pisgah. There are apparently 300 miles of trails. And it's quite rugged - most of the trails follow drainage and are eroded. We found this out on our ride. There are two shops at the base of the Pisgah trails, The Hub and Sycamore Cycles. The Hub has a bar inside and we spent some time there...great staff. I've heard fabulous things about Sycamore Cycles too but we didn't stop in there.

While we are on the topic of beer - not sure if you are a beer drinker - if so, you are in beer-heaven. Asheville itself has a ton of microbrews. We hit up Wicked Weed, One World Brewing, and Asheville Brewing. While we were down riding Pisgah, we hit the Oskar Blues brewery. They have a food truck with awesome burgers too. I know Sierra Nevada opened a brewery and apparently have incredible tours. So we heard...we didn't make it there. We also heard there was an hour and a half wait to get in. We also heard that they are building a New Belgium brewery...I will say, if breweries aren't your thing but like beer, there is beer on tap everywhere.

Did you enjoy the town at all?

I didn't get to do the trails while down there. Really "meh" on the town's scene. Maybe I was there during some dirty unshowered hippie festival weekend.

This is good info, thanks. I'm headed to Brevard on the 20th for a weeklong immersion in the Asheville scene.

Did you enjoy the town at all?

I didn't get to do the trails while down there. Really "meh" on the town's scene. Maybe I was there during some dirty unshowered hippie festival weekend.
asheville is people who are...ummm... 1/3 metrourbanhipsterveganswearingductapeclothing, 1/3 upscalefauxhippiesthatdontshowerbutdrivenewercarsandhaveiphones, 1/3 serious outdoorsytypesthatpaddlerunclimbshredhardREALHARD
take into consideration that many people encapsulate all three of the above qualities.
you were there during a normal week I assure you

I'm leaving there after about 10 years in Brevard and Asheville. It's cool.

For anyone going, I suggest skipping Bent Creek. It's the most like wherever you came from, and it's the default riding when people don't have time to go to Pisgah or DuPont. It's the least fantastic riding in Asheville. Don't visit without doing the Laurel/Pilot ride and Squirrel Gap in Pisgah. DuPont is mostly flowy machine-built trail, which is a great change from the roots in Pisgah, plus slickrock. Definitely use gps to guide you; it's not as much fun until you can string trails together. There's also a new gravity park and things are on the rise, bike-wise.

Geeze, why am I leaving there?

I'm leaving there after about 10 years in Brevard and Asheville. It's cool.

For anyone going, I suggest skipping Bent Creek. It's the most like wherever you came from, and it's the default riding when people don't have time to go to Pisgah or DuPont. It's the least fantastic riding in Asheville. Don't visit without doing the Laurel/Pilot ride and Squirrel Gap in Pisgah. DuPont is mostly flowy machine-built trail, which is a great change from the roots in Pisgah, plus slickrock. Definitely use gps to guide you; it's not as much fun until you can string trails together. There's also a new gravity park and things are on the rise, bike-wise.

Geeze, why am I leaving there?
Good post. I went to brevard last month. My 1st time there. We did laurel/pilot, squirrel gap, black mountain, and DuPont (twice). Awesome terrain and trails there. Tell me: what did I miss that would classify as "must ride" for my next trip back.

Diesel,

Kitsuma is great, located out in Black Mountain, which is 25 minutes from Asheville, east on I-40, right where the blue ridge drops down to the Piedmont.

From Buckhorn Gap, you can go the opposite direction on Black Mountain to Buckwheat and then continue on Bennett Gap (the last part is only bike legal from Oct 15-Apr 15) The climb up to Buckwheat (@ club gap) on Avery is a pretty cool ride, with some grueling sections, but it keeps you off the boring ride up Clawhammer to get to Buckhorn gap.

Research the "Swank" race route. That covers all the good stuff around the fish hatchery: Cove Creek, Daniel Ridge, Butter, Farlow (if you want a long, steep dry boulder descent), etc.

And there are probably great trails and loops in DuPont that you didn't do. Despite my love of technical trail, I rode at DuPont more than elsewhere because I could make varied rides out of the huge network of trail out there. They're constantly improving trails out there, so every part of the park (it's big) has great trail worth riding.

@bystickel so do tell why are you leaving. As a person who works with realtors to prep homes here and the massive baby boomer exodus to the Carolinas you are coming home. Personally if I had choice I would leave NJ too but my migration would be far New England. My domestic boss doe can't be convinced.

I wanted to be a bit closer to family, prefer more technical trail, needed a change, and generally zig when everyone else zags...with predictable results /: I'm liking western Mass, and the Northampton area feels like a small, pre-discovery Asheville.

Back
Top Bottom