Calling all skiers/snowboarders

roc

Do you and your buddies take a trip out west every year, every other year?
Do you love powder?!
Can you ski/snowboard expert terrain, not extreme, with some speed,stamina,and confidence?
If the answer is yes, let's set up a trip to the same location and do a private cat, with your buddies and mine.
I have between 4-6 great guys who can ski/snowboard that go on a trip every year, other year. We always talk about doing a private snowcat day, but for most of the guys, they cant or don't want to pay $500 for a day of skiing. If we can get a few like minded individuals together, we could have a great day of skiing, where we are in charge, for a great price. Sometimes one guy doesn't want to pay and the rest feel guilty for leaving him to ski alone. In this scenario, we can pick the date and everybody on the trip understands, they can go or stay at the resort.
Just throwing this out there, let me know if any of you men/women are interested.
Unbelievable snowcat skiing is available at many places in the Rockies of the U.S. And Canada,

do you have a specific place in mind?
Somewhere in interior BC, would be great, I've never been there. I meeting up with 2 of my friends on Monday to discuss our options. I'm looking at big red cats in BC. If any of your friends have a DWI, make sure they get approval from Canada to get in the country. I had a friend fly all the way to Vancouver, and he had to get on the next plane home because he had a DWI.
Or Hunta.

Last edited:
Planning ski trips to BC is risky. Check the snowfalls each year. It's all over the place for no rhyme or reason. There's too many other better choices in the Rockies

Thats good advice to follow the snow , i have spent many winters without a plan driving all over the west tracking storms and hitting crazy powder days . I am interested , why not hit jackson ? that place is never-ending . Plus targhee is not far and has some epic storms .I once witness a crazy fucker huck off a 100 plus cliff in the Targhee backcountry , It was the most insane thing i have ever seen .. they had to dig him out !! Is everyone in your group comfortable backcountry skiing & have all the equipment and been through the AV courses ?

i went cat sking at big sky - fresh powder - they hooked up a group so it was priced individually rather than rent-the-cat.
everyone was "good" - so no problem waiting for people - there is some great hike/ride stuff there also.

copper mt has cat skiing in their back bowl - never tried it, but i think it is a first-come thing.

this isn't on my radar for the next couple years - keep us posted!

Targhee has the best deal ever, I have snowcat skied there a few times, its around $400 to stay 3-4 nights and cat ski one day and resort ski one or two days. Great trip.
I cat skied right next to big sky around 2001, the place was called Montana backcountry adventures. We skied moonlight basin befor the lifts were put in, very awesome.
I have no Avalanche classes, neither do most of my buddies, I've always had a guide whenever I've been in the backcountry.

Targhee has the best deal ever, I have snowcat skied there a few times, its around $400 to stay 3-4 nights and cat ski one day and resort ski one or two days. Great trip.
I cat skied right next to big sky around 2001, the place was called Montana backcountry adventures. We skied moonlight basin befor the lifts were put in, very awesome.
I have no Avalanche classes, neither do most of my buddies, I've always had a guide whenever I've been in the backcountry.

Not sure when i was in Big Sky, but it had to be around the same time. just tossed my MBA travel mug in the trash!
there was a low spot that sucked for snowboarding. Hiking Bridger bowl was good too.

Did you ski the big couloir off the front of the mountain ? That is a awesome run but the entrance is about 15 ft of vert just to enter , so sketchy . But so rewarding

Not sure when i was in Big Sky, but it had to be around the same time. just tossed my MBA travel mug in the trash!
there was a low spot that sucked for snowboarding. Hiking Bridger bowl was good too.
I definitely had that same mug, my wife has a fleece from there. We also took the cat up to the yurt for dinner and sledding one night, tons of fun
Did you ski the big couloir off the front of the mountain ? That is a awesome run but the entrance is about 15 ft of vert just to enter , so sketchy . But so rewarding
I don't remember anything really sketchy at all, so we probably didn't ski any couloir.

We're at Big Sky now. 6" of fresh last night. This was taken this morning. The couloir that @ktmrider is referring to is directly above my glove in this pic. I rode my all mtn board today given the powder conditions. Tomorrow I'll hit the groom with the carving stick. The guy on the left is a fellow hardbooter from Seattle with whom I connected on the carving forum. He's riding a Skwal, which is often mistaken for a monoski but is in fact a snowboard.
0307161001a_zps9zro96sl.jpg

0307161001a_zps9zro96sl.jpg

What a beautiful mountain , that run looks sick . That whole front that you can access off the tram or challenger lift is great skiing . Enjoy it !

Keep rubbing it in, while we suffer the worst ski season on the east coast I can remember. Looks awesome though! Paradise even.

It was a OK year for the East Coast on the slopes.
Europe had even less snow.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lake Tahoe - 4 -7 feet last 12hrs.
10 feet last 10 days.
10-15feet next 10 days.

Delayed openings and some resorts closed because of too much snow.

Must be EPIC!!!!!

been following some of this - avy danger is crazy right now.

Back
Top Bottom