Gravel/CX Shifting Ideas

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I was messing around with my hardtail today and decided to throw some drop bars on it, maybe a rigid fork and skinnies to follow. I don't have a road bike (yet) so I think this could make for a fun gravel/rail trail bike and maybe try a few CX races. Problem I have is shifting, if you can tell by the temporary Saint handlebar bar end shifter. Apparently the Tektro levers I have work well with BB7's so I rather not lose them, so is there a bar end shifter or other alternative I can use to run an XT 10-speed deraileur? Do Shimano road and mountain shifers have the same pull? Thanks!

IMG_4204.JPG

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jdog Indeed. The closest thing to that, and a last resort, would be one of those crappy bar space expanders with 22.2 bar to use the MTB shifter.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Invest in a set of 10-speed drop bar shifters, they'll shift fine and the brakes will still feel sweet. I have a set of cross tires you can haz if you'd like.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Invest in a set of 10-speed drop bar shifters, they'll shift fine and the brakes will still feel sweet. I have a set of cross tires you can haz if you'd like.

Anything specific I need to look for to make the levers work with mountain BB7's or is it all in the adjustments?

I'd be happy to grab the tires. Would they fold into a flat rate box and I'll PayPal shipping? Or can you wear them like a bandolier on your ride up to Stewart 45?

skyrokz

Anything specific I need to look for to make the levers work with mountain BB7's or is it all in the adjustments?

I'd be happy to grab the tires. Would they fold into a flat rate box and I'll PayPal shipping? Or can you wear them like a bandolier on your ride up to Stewart 45?
I can pick them up from Jim's shop and bring them to the group ride tomorrow at LewMo for you if you'd like, I'll be in summit later today.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I cheaped out for now since I had almost everything for it. I got an eBay handlebar extension doohickey to mount my 22mm bar shifter for now. It's a little bit of a stretch of the thumb to upshift, but it works. Just need to shorten the shifter cable housing, find a rigid fork, and a bigger chainring (34/36?). Otherwise, it's looking pretty... interesting. I also failed on my first attempt at wrapping bars so the tops are somewhat bare, but I assume most of my time will be spent on the hoods or hooks.

IMG_4352 (1).JPG

That's one of the first things I saw when I Googled exactly what I needed. Great product and looks good, but yes, the price is killer.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Hoods for LYFE! What's your cassette range? You might want to consider a 38 or 39 if you're 1X. 39x11-32 will cover most race courses. Much smaller you miss out on some of the high end. Granted you could go 11-34 or 11-36 with your MTN setup if you don't give a damn about cadence jumps.

Remember you need a suspension adjusted fork. It doesn't need to be a perfect geometry match but by putting those skinny tires on you dropped the BB down so watch them pedals in the corners!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hoods for LYFE! What's your cassette range? You might want to consider a 38 or 39 if you're 1X. 39x11-32 will cover most race courses. Much smaller you miss out on some of the high end. Granted you could go 11-34 or 11-36 with your MTN setup if you don't give a damn about cadence jumps.

Remember you need a suspension adjusted fork. It doesn't need to be a perfect geometry match but by putting those skinny tires on you dropped the BB down so watch them pedals in the corners!

Very helpful, thanks! I just wanted to give it a shot and try to have a good time at a few races, if at all, without investing into a new frame or complete bike.

It is an 11-36 cassette and I am more of a spinner myself, but I'll try to take your advice with the chainring size. I'm glad you mentioned the fork too. I was actually just looking at a 390 axle-to-crown and it could be too short. May need to look into 29er forks rather than 700c/CX specific ones for more options.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Drops all day everyday, make you strong like bull!!

And yes, you'll need a 29er rigid fork and not a CX one. To my knowledge they don't make a CX fork that tall. On some courses running a 29er tire up front might be a lot of fun too.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Make sure to pay attention to the a-c (axel crown) measurements on the 29er forks. For the most part, they make them in 2 types of lengths. Shorter ones for non suspension bikes and longer for 80-100mm bikes.

kichibot

Just get a cheap 105 10 speed lever set. That way your not running that weird looking bar shifter set up.

Top Bottom