The Heckle Report

I told James I'll happily glue the wheels....

... but then he's SOL for dinner for the next month.

#marriedlyfeeeee

I thought I read in another thread that you got a new CX frame. Congrats!

I guess glueing 3 wheel sets was not part of that deal/negotiation! ;)

Wraith rebuild update:

My chainring came in at Marty's yesterday. I worked a few hours and pounded out some bike builds then went home a stole my CX cranks back off the Soma. I hate swapping rings but I put the new 44 and my old 39 on. The 39 didn't have issues like the 46 did. Hopefully it's good.

I lost the spaced for my CK BB and ordered the other day. In the meantime I'mm be using an old GXP thats pretty hurting at this point.

Hoping to have the chain on and the bike shifting tonight after I clean my room.

Other Bikes:
I need to put my old chain back on my road bike since my cassette is too smoked to ride with the new chain I got. Yay me. Planning on riding this today, tomorrow and Sunday. Cassette due in next Wednesday. DAMN! I also need to change my tires since I found a couple worn through the tread spots and a bubble. Luckily I have podium tires from HPCX.

My rear tire on the epic went soft between Wednesday's recovery ride and last night. Pumped it up, hopefully it's holding air. It looks like I've had a lot of pin hole seal ups on those tires. Hopefully they last to the end of the year.

I acquired an old lugged allez that's in ugly but physically great shape. 130mm spacing! I'm hoping to build up a parts bin 10 speed winter/rain bike so I don't have to ride the Raleigh in the crappy weather. Looking forward to building some sweet wheels for it. 1" threaded but I actually have an adapter somewhere from when I put drops on the IF for Redhook.

Still need to replace the 9 speed derailleur on the Soma touring/adventure bike. They sell a kit with the spring I busted but it's X0 and comes with the carbon cage thus making it cost 4000 dollars. Still. I'll be stealing the wheels off it soon anyway for the Wraith, as I already did with the cranks.

Current bedroom status:
Camping gear from WY trip, large duffle bag of clean clothes from last week, SS Indy Fab road bike, Wraith CX, Raleigh International Road, Epic Comp MTB. My desk is covered with new car/ insurance papers and empty water glasses. Lots of empty water glasses.

It's getting pretty tight in there...

i was doing tubular stuff last night and found out this works really well for getting the tire off the rim
xyeJ_v.gif

So how did the panther do on the Wyoming out and back?
It made it out then I donated it to Kars for Kidz and bought a 2013 Subaru Outback.

I actually got 25MPG all the way out, but the steering was dangerously trashed and my front suspension was gone and I think my misfire came back in Grand Teton - check engine light came on and was running really rough.

Worth it? Worth it.
bHznMp4h.jpg

Talking about how you've ridden your tubulars for 4 years with no issues is like saying you've gone 5000 miles without a road flat. Tire God Vengeance will be wrought this year. Time for JP to take up MP on her glue & grilled cheese offer.

Post Saturday ride coffee, waffle, music and CX bike work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 153
6 mile CX on 8/5 - sad face.. Ill be leaving on a jet plane that evening

Tubular status - another sad face, i came home from va-k and hoped to have my new cassette and fangos waiting for me... Cassette arrives but no fangos - No gluing for me, yet. I hope they show before I leave on Wednesday

Gotta be responsible and do some college stuff today. Hoping to make the next one if there is a next one.:)

A couple weeks ago I took initiative to clean out/restock/reorganize the department toolbox that 10-12 people share. I've been on a little bit of a kick since.

The toolbox I've been using for my bike crap the last 3 years is the same box I used at college for my basic handtools/random utility stuff. It's a 2 drawer craftsman with a deep top section. My bike tools kinda fit but mostly not, and definitely not in an organized fashion. See below:
uKiuqYjl.jpg

There are parts, cycling tools, non cycling tools, all sorts of crap. I finally had enough and went over to the Sears Outlet store (formally Sears Hardware) i nCedar Knolls and bought myself a 7 Drawer cabinet on "super sale." I grabbed a few other miscellaneous hand tools at 30% off and some drawer liners.

I used to keep my guitar behind the box next to my desk with the box on the floor. Now I have the new box up on two milk crates which has made shelf space for bike wash/cleaners/rubbing alcohol etc. below. I moved my guitar elsewhere. Pretty happy with this new set up. It is not in the way but still aimed at the door so I can work in the living room or my bedroom.
0r7uttQl.jpg

With the less is more school of thought there is a lot of space in the drawers but everything has it's place and is easy to find.
6gAEznXl.jpg

Now that it's all laid out I know I need a few things. I'm missing mt 4mm T-Handle(no wonder I could never find it), I could use the small size tri-tool, a few smaller sized wrenches and a matching set of screwdrivers. I also want to get some Velcro for my dish tool. STICKERZ!
jigGdLzl.jpg

I already have one of those three drawer rubbermade roll out units for my parts bin, a ~200 piece socket set in it's travel case and a large Kennedy tool chest decently equipped with my precision measurement tools. The old craftsman is going to turn into my files/hacksaw/odd/misc toolbox.

I also have a cheap craftsman roller tower at my parents I need to loot, and a great 3'x3' maple top 4 drawer bench I will reclaim someday. It's tough making a work-space in an apartment. I have a large attic that is an oven in the summer so I try and keep tools downstairs, and bike storage upstairs though with the seasons crossing over I have 4 bikes in my room right now. It's a little crowded.

Overall very excited to have some order and a few new tools for the coming CX season.

I held the 3rd annual Heckler shakes down the CX bike at 6 mile on Wednesday. Had a really fun ride with @vlkslvr and Zach.

Flat count was 3 for Justin and 1 for Zach.

6 mile is a place where you can ride a CX bike but I always forget that it's really mountain biking trails and it kinda kicks the shtit out of you. Either way it was fun as hell. Hoping to make one more trip.

Yesterday I shaved my beard into a stupid Fu manchu/ soul patch combo, went on an hour sprint ride then went to build at Marty's. Traded the Fu Manchu for a Tom Selleck for work today.
rSq9cXjm.jpg

Headed to Amherst after work for the first ever Laughing Dog shop show, then Boston for a going away party. Lots of driving and no riding for the next few days. HELLLOOOO REST WEEKEND!

6 mile is a place where you can ride a CX bike but I always forget that it's really mountain biking trails and it kinda kicks the shtit out of you. Either way it was fun as hell. Hoping to make one more trip.
Finally someone admits this.

Back
Top Bottom